• Vivaldi - antergos vs. AUR version

I’ve recently changed my Vivaldi installation to the latest package found on the AUR, however Pacman/Pamac warns me about a newer version found as compared to the one found in the antergos repo.

How can I make Pacman follow the AUR package instead of the antergos one?

Vivaldi appears in Pamac the following way:

vivaldi.png

• its natural , its just pamac that handles like this. look in pacman -Qs vivaldi or pacman -Qi vivaldi its different since its local?

• I’m not so sure it is normal since before each update it is asking me to downgrade the package to the antergos one, which is annoyingScreenshot_20190317_141905.png .

• look in pamac settings is there any ignore options ?

• as pamac is not pacman, does pacman -Syu same ?

• Yes, I know that. ☺

Pacman also prompts me to replace the newer package to the one found in the antergos repo.
    Of course I can type in “n” each time I want to update, but in the long run it would be rather frustrating.

Would it be possible to remove that package and the track the AUR one? (…since it won’t be updated in the future)

vivaldi.png

• then place the vivaldi in ignore list in /etc/pacman.conf or pamac-settings if there is a topic ?

antergos vivaldi is vivaldi with those drm stuf in one , aur it isnt is kinda splitted …

i added the repo i gave you :p look at my pacman -Ss vivaldi

https://i.imgur.com/73XD5dR.jpg

moved some stuf also

• I’ve added the herecura repo, but downloading is very slow from there, since I live in Hungary and the repo is in Belgium.

Also, I’ve included the following in pacman.conf:

IgnorePkg = antergos/vivaldi

Should I be covered?

• i think if you use aur version is fine you have to test it if that antergos/vivaldo it should work i think my self you dont have to pick the repo because its in belgium offcourse no use

• @ringo32
    Okay, I’ll stick with the AUR version.

@Bryanpwo
    Since you suggested using the AUR one, what do you think would be an optimal solution?

Here’s what I want:
    Pamac to show that the vivaldi package is from the AUR, and - of course - to be able to continue using Pamac without any warnings or problems.

I wonder why Vivaldi is not present in the official community repository… 😒

• @hordosikrisztian
    There is a way to override the Antergos repo.
    You can create your own local repo onto your hard disk, and put your AUR version of the vivaldi package there.
    Then write info about your local repo into /etc/pacman.conf, just before the [antergos] repo definition.

The whole thing goes something like this:

• create your local repo directory (may want to select a better place…)
    mkdir -p $HOME/myrepo
    cd $HOME/myrepo

• download vivaldi PKGBUILD from AUR
    yay -a -G vivaldi

• build vivaldi package
    cd vivaldi  # yay downloaded PKGBUILD here
    makepkg PKGBUILD

• move the built package to the repo
    mv vivaldi-*.pkg.tar.xz ..

• cleanup
    cd ..
    rm -rf vivaldi

• create the repo
    repo-add myrepo.db.tar.xz *.pkg.tar.xz

• edit /etc/pacman.conf, add your new repo info (the following lines) before [antergos] (and change your username!)
    [myrepo]
    Server = file:///home/<username>/myrepo
    SigLevel = Optional

• and finally, run this (and pray ;))
    pacman -Syyu

If it worked, congratulations!

The only minor disadvantage is that when the AUR version changes, you have to build the package again, add it to your repo, and run pacman -Syyu.

• @manuel
    Thank you for this detailed explanation and the quickfix, but I’d rather wait for the developers to remove the outdated package from the repo, and solve this package conflict.

Installing software shouldn’t require such countermeasures, let alone cause too much headache.

• @hordosikrisztian
    I totally agree. There are also some other outdated packages that prevent up-to-date upstream packages from installing. Many of them have been reported, but for some reason it seems rather slow process to get then updated in Antergos.

You might want to create an issue here:
    https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues

• @manuel

Thanks for the link, I’ve opened a new issue. 😉

https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues/442

Cheers!

• Sorry for the late reply, I did a more drastic solution and removed the Antergos repo, since it contains a number of out of date packages and like you I want my installed apps (certainly my browser and apps like dropbox and yay) being updated with the upstream releases.
    It’s not the most adviceble thing to do, because then you’ll also lose the benefits Antergos has, like the uniform look in all the DE’s among others.
    I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but in the current state I think it’s best that the devs would be better of to remove packages like Dropbox and Vivaldi out of the repo and use the repo for the meta packages and things like the nvidia installer or appoint some members to the dev. team (there are three in my mind who perfectly would fit that role) , so the Antergos repo can be maintained by them.
    I already made that statement and despite my resolution to keep away from this forum, I care too deeply for this distro, so ignoring it is a hard thing to do for me.
    At the moment I’m learning Python coding so who knows and maybe soon I’ll be able to offer my bit of help over here…

• @Bryanpwo and all others
    Maybe you have seen my repos (the ones at my footer). They provide some prebuilt and signed packages, like yay. I could add more packages there, but as they are hosted at github, no big packages (over 25MB), e.g. dropbox, are allowed there for free. The bigger packages I have are around 50MB each, and e.g. dropbox is 64MB.

Does anyone know a free place where I could add a repo with bigger packages? Note that the server must be accessable with e.g. curl or wget, not just the browser. That AFAIK rules out e.g. google drive, onedrive and mega.

• @manuel i have a server in france…

• @joekamprad
    Great! But do you think it is up for the challenge of the massive Antergos traffic? 😅

• @manuel
    Your offer is very kind, but if you do that, then you’re better of hosting your own distro. The solution literally stares the devs in their faces.
    If the devs would approach you, @joekamprad and @fernandomaroto for that task. I mean you’re already doing it, but the wall you’re running into is that you don’t have acces to the repo.
    I would love to take care of light maintenance of the website (checking for outdated articles and stuff like that) and playing a more active role on social media for Antergos in being one of the spokepersons for the devs.
    This is where other distros like Manjaro, Ubuntu mate and Linux Mint excel in, letting members cooperate with the distro.

• @Bryanpwo said in Vivaldi - antergos vs. AUR version:

@manuel
    Your offer is very kind, but if you do that, then you’re better of hosting your own distro. The solution literally stares the devs in their faces.
    If the devs would approach you, @joekamprad and @fernandomaroto for that task. I mean you’re already doing it, but the wall you’re running into is that you don’t have acces to the repo.
    I would love to take care of light maintenance of the website (checking for outdated articles and stuff like that) and playing a more active role on social media for Antergos in being one of the spokepersons for the devs.
    This is where other distros like Manjaro, Ubuntu mate and Linux Mint excel in, letting members cooperate with the distro.

I agree with that!

// But freedom is always also the freedom of the others //

aur58 vivaldi20 Posts 29Views 233
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.