• Antergos installation error - white screen with blue logo

I have been getting same Antergos installation ERROR for a long time now, install hangs at infamous white screen with blue logo… this was my post of APRIL 2018…

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9635/booting-live-iso-only-shows-splash-screen-on-dell-laptops

I wasn’t able to find a solution then and I’m still struggling to find a solution. I keep trying whenever a new version is released but it’s the same error each time. I have installed Antergos before but for the past year it has always unsuccessful. I really like Antergos but I am begining to think the installation process or the image itself is not robust to cater for all computer scenarios.

I am also a member of a local PC Learning Group and the members are experiencing the same problem with Antergos. The group regularly install other Linux distros, e.g. Debian, Linux Mint, MX-Linux, Linux Lite and everytime the installation is usually successful. The ONLY distro that ALWAYS fails to install is Antergos.

I have searched on the forums recently and I saw a comment by @just that explains…

“white screen is called plymouth theme. It has pure aesthetical purpose - to hide various text messages displayed on the screen, or just a black screen, during boot” “There could be error messages behind this screen”

So I followed instructions provided by @just and pressed the Esc key and this revealed ERROR messages on the screen that I hadn’t seen this before…

[    0.003784] do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
    losetup: run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/root-image.sfs: failed to set up loop device: No such file or directory
    ERROR:device did not show up after 30 seconds. . .
       Falling back to interactive prompt
       You can try to fix the problem manually. log out when you are finished
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    [rootfs ]#

Question 1: do any of these error messages provide a clue to the root cause of the problem? I’ve searched to no avail.

I have verified the ISO image to be OK then burning using dd…

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/probook/SHARE/Downloads/antergos-19.3-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress && sync
    [sudo] password for probook:
    2306867200 bytes (2.3 GB, 2.1 GiB) copied, 329 s, 7.0 MB/s
    550+1 records in
    550+1 records out
    2310733824 bytes (2.3 GB, 2.2 GiB) copied, 329.951 s, 7.0 MB/s
    [[email protected] ~]$

I have also burned using etcher, rosa-image-writer, mintstick and rufus but they all error the same.

Question 2: Am I using the correct tool to burn the LiveUSB ?

I checked the LiveUSB (which has label “ANTERGOS” and it does contain the file “root-image.sfs” but I noticed it is located in a different path from that stated in the error message…

ANTERGOS/arch/root-image.sfs

Question 3: Is the Label and/or the file location the problem ?

In gparted, for some strange reason, I only see the following information.

Partition:	File System:	Label:
    /dev/sdb 	iso9660		ANTERGOS

So I checked how the LiveUSB is seen by fdisk:

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    [sudo] password for probook:
    Disk /dev/sdb: 7.6 GiB, 8110768128 bytes, 15841344 sectors
    Disk model: Flash Disk
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x43ae5656

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1 * 0 4513151 4513152 2.2G 0 Empty
    /dev/sdb2 224 131295 131072 64M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    [[email protected] ~]$

I can see it does show 2 partitions which I believe is correct.

Question 4: Does either the gparted or fdisk output look OK?

I have tried the installation several times on the following “Legacy BIOS” computers that all show the same error…

Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B
    hp ProBook 4525s
    Asus EeeBox EB1501P

So I tried it in a UEFI laptop…

DELL Inspiron 5559

with following settings…

Boot mode is set to: UEFI Secure Boot: OFF

I tried booting in both “UEFI BOOT” and “LEGACY BOOT” with following results…

a) power on and select boot menu and chose “UEFI BOOT:” I get following message…

ERROR
    Failed to start loader.efi: (14) Not Found

When I click OK I get following message…

Error loading EFI\archiso\vmlinuz: Not Found
    Failed to execute Antergos Live system (usb) (\EFI\archiso\vmlinuz): Not Found

b) power on and select boot menu and chose “LEGACY BOOT:” It just hangs at blue logo on white screen. I cannot get past this, even if I press the Esc key or Arrow up key, it does not reveal any ERROR message. The screen remains unchanged at what I believe is called the plymouth theme.

So it seems that the error happens with both legacy and efi computers.

Question 5: do any of these error messages from the UEFI computer indicate cause of the problem?

Sorry for all the questions. If I have missed anything, please let me know. I have tried to provide as much information as possible as I am determined to get this resolved for both myself and the PC Learning Group.

EDIT: I have some basic knowledge of Linux but I still consider myself to be a bit of a newbie still.

Any help would be much appreciated. If any devs are looking at this, please help, I would be grateful for any feedback if we are doing something wrong.

• @hughparker1
    Ideas:

• disks are in wrong order at installer boot?
    • motherboard BIOS/firmware needs update?
    • secure boot is enabled? Well seems not…
  • @manuel said in Antergos installation error - white screen with blue logo (again):

@hughparker1
    Ideas:

Hi @manuel, thanks for feedback, it is much appreciated.

Legacy BIOS PCs: for these I normally enter the BIOS and set the Boot Priority like…

"Boot Priority"
    Select 1st Boot Priority		[External Device] 
    Select 2nd Boot Priority		[Internal Hard Disk Drive] 
    Select 2nd Boot Priority		[Network]

Then when I insert the LiveUSB into the PC and swithc on, it boots automatically to the LiveUSB. Is that what you mean when you mentioned “disks are in wrong order at installer boot”

UEFI PC: when I insert the LiveUSB, I switch on and quickly press function key to bring up the boot menu and then select the USB from the list, then press enter to begin installation. Is that the correct method?

The Legacy BIOS PCs are all quite old, but the BIOS has not caused any problems with the other operating systems. There are several Linux Distros alongside Windows and we are able to choose each OS from the GRUB MENU and they all boot successfully.

Yes, on the UEFI PC that I tested, I have set Secure Boot: OFF

Please advise if I need to change anything, I’m very keen to get this installed. Thanks again for your feedback.

• @hughparker1 said in Antergos installation error - white screen with blue logo:

Is that what you mean when you mentioned “disks are in wrong order at installer boot”

I mean: when the installer boots, it would be nice to to know which drive is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb, so that it doesn’t try installing to the wrong drive (the stick). But I understood that you cannot reach to that point, to get that info?
    The BIOS info simply shows which device should be searched first for booting.

What I’d like to see is the output of the following commands:

sudo fdisk -l
    lsblk -fm

since they would tell many things about the disks and partitions.

So you have another linux installed and working? If so, please plug in the Antergos installer and show the output of the commands above.

My current guess is some sort of BIOS & UEFI mixup. You seem to have a hybrid BIOS, so you in principal can choose any boot mode?

UEFI PC: when I insert the LiveUSB, I switch on and quickly press function key to bring up the boot menu and then select the USB from the list, then press enter to begin installation. Is that the correct method?

Something like that. But you could try selecting CD/DVD instead of USB, although it seems counter-intuitive.

• @manuel said in Antergos installation error - white screen with blue logo:

What I’d like to see is the output of the following commands:

sudo fdisk -l
    lsblk -fm

since they would tell many things about the disks and partitions.

So you have another linux installed and working? If so, please plug in the Antergos installer and show the output of the commands above.

Thanks @manuel, here is the output for laptop “hp ProBook 4525a”. I believe this is Legacy BIOS only laptop. Although I can’t access the BIOS to check, as it it password protected.

[email protected]:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for hugh:             
    Disk /dev/sda: 298.1 GiB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0xa42d04a3

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1            2048    206847    204800  100M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2  *       206848 105065413 104858566   50G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       124217344 126033919   1816576  887M 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda4       126038014 625141759 499103746  238G  5 Extended
    /dev/sda5       126038016 199438335  73400320   35G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda6       199440384 304297983 104857600   50G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7       304300032 409157453 104857422   50G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda8       409159680 514017279 104857600   50G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda9       514019328 618876927 104857600   50G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda10      620947456 625141759   4194304    2G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 7.6 GiB, 8110768128 bytes, 15841344 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x43ae5656

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1  *        0 4513151 4513152  2.2G  0 Empty
    /dev/sdb2         224  131295  131072   64M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    [email protected]:~$ 

[email protected]:~$ lsblk -fm
    NAME    FSTYPE  LABEL           UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT    SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sda                                                                              298.1G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda1  ntfs    System Reserved 6EC0083B51FF9798                                   100M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda2  ntfs    WINDOWS         78EADF16315FFBE7                                    50G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda3  ntfs                    E6F4A251F4A22431                                   887M root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda4                                                                               1K root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda5  ntfs    SHARE           4943598047456CDB                     /mnt/SHARE     35G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda6  ext4    MX17            217a6a4b-3fd4-40b1-b176-d1b3e11300a9                50G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda7  ext4    MINT            ee4c4837-02c9-4783-9d64-77fb4bc7b5cc /              50G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda8  ext4    MANJARO         ba913411-a264-4545-a507-013276c10122                50G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sda9  ext4    ANTERGOS        e7e32c6f-9856-455e-8dc0-b9da2ba7e2ff                50G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sda10 swap                    33f83c57-68a2-434f-8801-8059052d2e42 [SWAP]          2G root  disk  brw-rw----
    sdb     iso9660 ANTERGOS        2019-03-04-17-23-02-00                             7.6G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─sdb1  iso9660 ANTERGOS        2019-03-04-17-23-02-00               /media/hugh   2.2G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─sdb2  vfat    ARCHISO_EFI     CE6D-3ADE                                           64M root  disk  brw-rw----
    sr0                                                                               1024M root  cdrom brw-rw----

[email protected]:~$ free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           2740        1092         581          53        1066        1436
    Swap:          2047           0        2047

There is a partition for Antergos but it stopped working last week. It just boots to a black screen with blinking cursor in top LH corner of screen…

That’s why I’m trying to reinstall Antergos.

• @hughparker1

When booting any of the Antergos LiveUSB, when the menu comes up use the arrow keys to move it from USB to the top option “(CD/DVD)” and hit enter.

I know it sounds crazy but I recently went through the same trying to use the LiveUSB on USB3 laptop in EFI.

Tried with Legacy Options on and off.
    Tried USB2 and USB3 flash drives in every USB port on the laptop as well as the dock.

Every time I kept getting a similar error and being dumped to recovery console. For the heck of it, I tried the CD/DVD option in the GRUB menu and after a few seconds of nothing, I was greeted with a desktop.

Good Luck!

• @hughparker1
    Partition sda9 has the same label as the USB stick. That might cause problems, so I suggest you rename the label of sda9, e.g. with gparted.

• @devnull thanks for suggestion but this didn’t make any difference. i will try suggestion below from @manuel next.

• @hughparker1

Darn. It was a long shot.

I also recall that even though I was writing zeros to the flash drives and then setting as GPT before attempting to write the image. It always got changed back to MBR (which led me to attempt Legacy boot hoping it would help). It was just a fluke that I changed the option. Double checked that flash drive again today just to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind. :-)

Yeah, that’s a good call by @manuel. I didn’t even catch that when I was reading through the first time. I tend not to look at labels as much anymore as I prefer to reference by uuid instead of labels for just that reason. :-)

Let us know how it goes!

• @manuel said in Antergos installation error - white screen with blue logo:

@hughparker1
    Partition sda9 has the same label as the USB stick. That might cause problems, so I suggest you rename the label of sda9, e.g. with gparted.

Thanks for feedback @manuel, I did as you suggested, I renamed the partition and much to my surprise, it booted successfully to the desktop.

That was great you noticed that, well spotted! I now realise that the issue only ever happened if I ever needed to reinstall Antergos in a multi-boot computer where I have assigned labels to identify each Linux distribution (user mistake ☹ ) . I don’t remember having the same problem on the initial installation.

I have now tested the LiveUSB on the 3 “Legacy BIOS” computers that needed Antergos re-installed and they all boot to the desktop once the partition label has been either changed or deleted.

Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B
    hp ProBook 4525s
    Asus EeeBox EB1501P

I also booted the LiveUSB on the UEFI laptop… DELL Inspiron 5559

Unfortunately the same error still exists, as reported in my initial post. I only did this to test the solution for UEFI computers, but my Antergos install is working OK right now on my DELL laptop, so I have no need to reinstall at this moment. I may need to find a solution if i ever need to re-install in the future.

Thanks so much for your support, it is much appreciated. I will mark as “SOLVED”

p.s. I was wondering if the Antergos install process should be looking at the UUID of the existing partitions on a computer during the installation process, rather than the partition label, which is user defined. Perhaps other users may have had a similar problem without realising it. What do you think?

• @hughparker1
    Hard to say. Not all people report similar problems, at least I don’t remember any.

To be honest, I probably would have noticed the same labels, but as I’ve been doing a lot of digging with the booting systems, I’d probably never use the same label name in two (or more) places. Of course, labels are or should be as unique as UUIDs.

But we all make mistakes. That’s just life. 😅

error340 installation326 white13 blue4 Posts 11Views 240
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.