• Antergos Budgie & GNOME performance issues

So… I have decided to give Antergos Budgie a spin to compare it’s performance to the Budgie Desktop distro Solus, on Solus it runs like crazy, snappy, amazing performance even thou the system uses 1 GB ram with a pure fresh install, but what threw me away from Solus was the lack of documentation on it and the lack of community posts in the forums, I actually asked them how to compile Popcorntime and they refused to tell me as that would mean Solus is supporting piracy (lol) … I’m still a Linux newbie so I kinda don’t know how to do these things on my own… ~~So anyways, I have installed a fresh install of Antergos with the Budgie DE, and I installed the Budgie-Extras package, my NVIDIA proprietary drivers, rebooted … first thing i notice is, performance, I was a Antergos KDE user for 2 months, then i decided to start distro hopping and DE hopping to see the what else there is in the Linux world, but in the end, I returned to Antergos because to simply put it, It’s almost “bare bone” similar to minimal install versions of other distros, yet it gives a good starting point with anything a browsing/gaming user would use, the Arch repo’s and AUR are a life saver for me (and for most noob linux users) because you simply search a app, and it’s there, you install it, and wualla, it works … but when i was running KDE Antergos, everything worked smooth, But on Budgie the performance is a catastrophe, I have Chromium running on 4 tabs out of which, 3 are the browser game Forge of Empires running on HTML5, and the Antergos forum in the 4th, I go to the launcher menu, and launch a terminal, and I end up waiting 5-10 minutes to launch it, same thing happens with the settings menu … o.O I’m like, okay wtf? back when I was using KDE, I attempted to switch to GNOME, and had the same/similar issues on GNOME … So my question is, am I missing something here? When I was researching the installation of pure Arc, i read something processor microcode for Intel CPU’s, do i need to install it? could that possibly solve my GNOME/Budgie performance issues?
    here are my sys specs:

[[email protected] ~]$ neofetch
                  `.-/::/-``                   [email protected] 
                .-/osssssssso/.                ------------------- 
               :osyysssssssyyys+-              OS: Antergos Linux x86_64 
            `.+yyyysssssssssyyyyy+.            Host: MS-7808 1.0 
           `/syyyyyssssssssssyyyyys-`          Kernel: 5.0.1-arch1-1-ARCH 
          `/yhyyyyysss++ssosyyyyhhy/`          Uptime: 1 hour, 2 mins 
         .ohhhyyyyso++/+oso+syy+shhhho.        Packages: 853 (pacman) 
        .shhhhysoo++//+sss+++yyy+shhhhs.       Shell: bash 5.0.0 
       -yhhhhs+++++++ossso+++yyys+ohhddy:      Resolution: 1920x1080 
      -yddhhyo+++++osyyss++++yyyyooyhdddy-     DE: Budgie 
     .yddddhso++osyyyyys+++++yyhhsoshddddy`    WM: Mutter(Budgie) 
    `odddddhyosyhyyyyyy++++++yhhhyosddddddo    Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3] 
    .dmdddddhhhhhhhyyyo+++++shhhhhohddddmmh.   Icons: Numix-Square [GTK2/3] 
    ddmmdddddhhhhhhhso++++++yhhhhhhdddddmmdy   Terminal: gnome-terminal 
    dmmmdddddddhhhyso++++++shhhhhddddddmmmmh   CPU: Intel i5-3350P (4) @ 3.300GHz 
    -dmmmdddddddhhyso++++oshhhhdddddddmmmmd-   GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 
    .smmmmddddddddhhhhhhhhhdddddddddmmmms.     Memory: 957MiB / 7909MiB 
       `+ydmmmdddddddddddddddddddmmmmdy/.
          `.:+ooyyddddddddddddyyso+:.`                                 

[EDIT] I have checked installed repositories and figured out that Intel Microcode is already installed, what am I missing?

[EDIT] I have now Installed a fresh Antergos GNOME, and the problem persists

`.-/::/-``                   [email protected] 
                .-/osssssssso/.                ------------------- 
               :osyysssssssyyys+-              OS: Antergos Linux x86_64 
            `.+yyyysssssssssyyyyy+.            Host: MS-7808 1.0 
           `/syyyyyssssssssssyyyyys-`          Kernel: 5.0.1-arch1-1-ARCH 
          `/yhyyyyysss++ssosyyyyhhy/`          Uptime: 36 mins 
         .ohhhyyyyso++/+oso+syy+shhhho.        Packages: 839 (pacman) 
        .shhhhysoo++//+sss+++yyy+shhhhs.       Shell: bash 5.0.0 
       -yhhhhs+++++++ossso+++yyys+ohhddy:      Resolution: 1920x1080 
      -yddhhyo+++++osyyss++++yyyyooyhdddy-     DE: GNOME 3.30.2 
     .yddddhso++osyyyyys+++++yyhhsoshddddy`    WM: GNOME Shell 
    `odddddhyosyhyyyyyy++++++yhhhyosddddddo    WM Theme: Numix-Frost 
    .dmdddddhhhhhhhyyyo+++++shhhhhohddddmmh.   Theme: Numix-Frost-Light [GTK2/3] 
    ddmmdddddhhhhhhhso++++++yhhhhhhdddddmmdy   Icons: Numix-Circle [GTK2/3] 
    dmmmdddddddhhhyso++++++shhhhhddddddmmmmh   Terminal: gnome-terminal 
    -dmmmdddddddhhyso++++oshhhhdddddddmmmmd-   CPU: Intel i5-3350P (4) @ 3.300GHz 
    .smmmmddddddddhhhhhhhhhdddddddddmmmms.     GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 
       `+ydmmmdddddddddddddddddddmmmmdy/.      Memory: 1068MiB / 7909MiB 
          `.:+ooyyddddddddddddyyso+:.`

what makes it even worse, that is in the X session, if i try to run GNOME in Wayland, and try to open GNOME settings, all 4 of my cpu cores spike almost to max, and the settings app never opens

• As it looks like you are running Antergos inside VM, you will need to give it more RAM 2,5GB is in my experience the minimum to run as a VM.

• @kronikpillow said in Antergos Budgie issues:

CPU: Intel i5-3350P (4) @ 3.300GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Memory: 1068MiB / 7909MiB

8GB ram and 8GB swap mate … this isn’t Antergos VM, It’s on my Desktop, the specs here are specs of my desktop, not the VM

• @kronikpillow
    Maybe you’re suffering from a bug in Gnome with Nvidia that causes a lag in performance, you can read it over here.
    Gnome 3.32 update is hitting Arch repo by bits as we speak. (I think tommorrow the full upgrade has arrived) Since Budgieis built on Gnome, the problem in that DE is similar.

• @kronikpillow oh yes i was reading it wrong 8gig not 800MB ;)

I can go intoit tomorrow as I do use GNOME in the background to i3, so may I do have the same lag, but as I do not start GNOME itself I do not get hit jet…

• @kronikpillow may you can provide journal (logs) to see if there is something failing or missing?

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1 //edit: not available anymore

executing the command will collect systemspecs and the log pastbin it and give a link to it you can post here.

• yes of course, do you want Budgie or GNOME logs?
    I will need to reinstall either because currently I’m on KDE 🐶 but I will gladly do it, as i know the problem will persist on my hardware, as I experienced it before … just give me a day or two to do it

• @joekamprad if i install just Budgie does it install gnome as well and does it install a full featured gnome? or should i install Gnome and then install the Budgie-meta?

• @kronikpillow
    I know you’ve adressed this to Joe, but I’m giving you the answer, so you don’t have to wait and can get to work. If you want both DE’s installed, then you have to install both the Gnome and the Budgie meta package. Budgie only uses the base features of Gnome it needs to run.
    I’m very curious if the Gnome 3.32 release has solved your problem.

• @Bryanpwo @joekamprad Ok, i will install it today, was waiting for a reply in which direction to go … I’ll install GNOME, and then install the Budgie meta and report back later this evening

• @Bryanpwo I have reinsatlled Antergos GNOME so far, i do notice a better performance but it’s still spiking my CPU cores a lot, like with just hTop running I have CPU usage on all 4 cores which doesn’t make sense … I’m unable to export the logs … i get the following output when running commands that @joekamprad told me to run

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1  
    [sudo] password for kronikpillow: 
    curl: (6) Could not resolve host: ptpb.pw

• Did you install the plain Gnome environment (as it comes installed with cnchi) or did you also install some extensions?

• @kronikpillow said in Antergos Budgie & GNOME performance issues:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

typo:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

or again a curl problem?

service is not available anymore:
    https://github.com/ptpb/pb/issues/246

alternative:
    sudo pacman -S pastebinit
    lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && pastebinit -i log.txt -b lpaste.net

or ix.io:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

• @Bryanpwo plain gnome enviroment that comes with cnchi …

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S pastebinit
    [sudo] password for kronikpillow: 
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) pastebinit-1.5-2

Total Download Size:   0.04 MiB
    Total Installed Size:  0.15 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
    :: Retrieving packages...
     pastebinit-1.5-2-any      39.3 KiB   982K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
    (1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
    (1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
    (1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
    (1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
    (1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
    :: Processing package changes...
    (1/1) installing pastebinit                        [######################] 100%
    :: Running post-transaction hooks...
    (1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
    [[email protected] ~]$ lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && pastebinit -i log.txt -b lpaste.net
    /usr/bin/pastebinit:42: DeprecationWarning: dist() and linux_distribution() functions are deprecated in Python 3.5
      release = platform.linux_distribution()[0].lower()
    /usr/bin/pastebinit:413: DeprecationWarning: pasteURLopener style of invoking requests is deprecated. Use newer urlopen functions/methods
      url_opener = pasteURLopener()

http://lpaste.net/new
    [[email protected] ~]$ 
    [[email protected] ~]$ 
    [[email protected] ~]$ lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && pastebinit -i log.txt -b lpaste.net
    /usr/bin/pastebinit:42: DeprecationWarning: dist() and linux_distribution() functions are deprecated in Python 3.5
    /usr/bin/pastebinit:413: DeprecationWarning: pasteURLopener style of invoking requests is deprecated. Use newer urlopen functions/methods
      url_opener = pasteURLopener()
    http://lpaste.net/new
    [[email protected] ~]$ 
    [[email protected] ~]$ lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && pastebinit -i log.txt -b lpaste.net/new
    Unknown website, please post a bugreport to request this pastebin to be added (lpaste.net/new)

@joekamprad you know i have a pastebin acc, i can just export it to logs.txt and then copy paste it to pastebin

• @kronikpillow

Note: pastebin.com is blocked for some people and has a history of annoying issues (javascript, adverts, poor formatting, etc). Do not use it.

• @kronikpillow

Mar 18 20:19:41 susanoo dbus-daemon[511]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service not found.
    Mar 18 20:19:41 susanoo geoclue[790]: Failed to connect to avahi service: Daemon not running

check:

systemctl status avahi-daemon

• acpi errors + pamac coredump…
    Mar 18 20:19:44 susanoo dbus-daemon[511]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.bluez.service': Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.

?

bluetooth is working/used?

and:

Mar 18 20:28:54 susanoo systemd[693]: Starting Tracker metadata database store and lookup manager...

tracker will indexing all files and so will use resources till it has done the job for the first run on a new install…

• ● avahi-daemon.service - Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: inactive (dead)
    ~

bluetooth? no, i haven’t even installed it when i was installing via cnchi installer, yet i still have a bluetooth option in GNOME settings …

I have no idea what acpi errors + pamac coredump means :) remember, newbie here

• I just followed your installer, and installed gnome, out of the installation selection apps i have installed yay, gufw, and nvidia proprietary … thats it … after install i installed skype, discord, chrome, steam, some basic stuff i use

on KDE my journalctl doesnt have so many errors, the system performs much better, the font is more readable, once i installed ttf-ms-core-fonts the fonts in the game i play became very small and slim, they are not like that on windows or KDE …

I have also just played the game as at 9 CET we have Guild vs Guild battle, and the performance of the game was making me want to scrap GNOME right away, but I’ll be patient to see what solutions we can come up with here …

also, I’m not getting skype or discord notifications …

• Your problems sound like the problem I refferred earlier to another article, that some nvidia users have. The problem is clearly not fixed and it could take some time when a fix will arrive (according to the article)
    I think KDE is the best option for your hardware.

issues96 budgie7 Posts 38Views 435
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.