• Upgrading python2-progress breaks pip2

After upgrading python2-progress to version 1.5.1, I am no more able to install packages via pip2. The output of

pip2 install numpy

is

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/pip2", line 11, in <module>
        load_entry_point('pip==18.1', 'console_scripts', 'pip')()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
        return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2793, in load_entry_point
        return ep.load()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2411, in load
        return self.resolve()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2417, in resolve
        module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'], level=0)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
        from pip._internal.cli.autocompletion import autocomplete
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/autocompletion.py", line 8, in <module>
        from pip._internal.cli.main_parser import create_main_parser
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/main_parser.py", line 8, in <module>
        from pip._internal.cli import cmdoptions
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/cmdoptions.py", line 22, in <module>
        from pip._internal.utils.ui import BAR_TYPES
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/ui.py", line 15, in <module>
        from pip._vendor.progress.helpers import HIDE_CURSOR, SHOW_CURSOR, WritelnMixin
    ImportError: No module named helpers

Downgrading to 1.4.2 fixes the issue.

• @mpetitjean
    It is advisable to inform the package maintainer in the AUR. Then a fix can be expected sooner I guess…

• The package python2-progress comes from the Arch Linux repositories: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/python2-progress/

• @mpetitjean
    python2-pip is already flagged as outdated.
    https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/python2-pip

Can you use pip3?

EDIT: well I tried it and a similar problem occurs. Seems that the packages are now incompatible. Hopefully they fix it soon.
    As I’m no python user, unfortunately I cannot help more. But you have a workaround, that’s great.

• Update: the upgrade from python2-pip to 18.1-2 fixed the issue.

• @mpetitjean
    Great!
    And if you feel this thread is solved, could you please mark it as such?
    There are buttons for it on this page below the posts.

pacman122 upgrading8 pip21 python2-progres1 Posts 6Views 128
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.