• If Antergos Dies Off

Hey guys,

I’ve been using Linux for a few months now and I’ve always been really curious about arch but due to how you need to set it up, I never got anywhere with it. So I’m really glad I found Antergos but there’s one thing that I can’t get out of my head and I was hoping someone could answer my (either remarkably clever, or ridiculously stupid) question.

If for some reason the Antergos project were to die off, since it’s essentially just arch + a DE would I still be able to receive updates & download new software or would I need to get a whole new distro?

I’m curious because I’m coming from using well known and long lived distro’s like ubuntu, mint, debian, etc. And from what small research I’ve done shows that Antergos is only a little over a year old.

• Hey guys,

I’ve been using Linux for a few months now and I’ve always been really curious about arch but due to how you need to set it up, I never got anywhere with it. So I’m really glad I found Antergos but there’s one thing that I can’t get out of my head and I was hoping someone could answer my (either remarkably clever, or ridiculously stupid) question.

If for some reason the Antergos project were to die off, since it’s essentially just arch + a DE would I still be able to receive updates & download new software or would I need to get a whole new distro?

I’m curious because I’m coming from using well known and long lived distro’s like ubuntu, mint, debian, etc. And from what small research I’ve done shows that Antergos is only a little over a year old.

• I suppose you could just continue using the official ARCH repositories and keep on running …

Cheers!

Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
    dual boot: Antergos and Debian Stretch both 64bit and running gnome-shell
    surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS and Codeweavers Crossover

• i dont see why not. should work fine but i dont see antergos going anywhere.

• You are right considering this situation but I also suppose that I can continue with just Arch.

However, I, a rather conservative person when it comes to SW and PCs decided to go with Antergos for several reasons. One is that they have really the latest LibreOffice version in “still” and “fresh”. Additionally there was the recommendation of my IT wizard younger brother who searched for a about 2 month and tested and compared quite a few distros. Also I am facing some start up problems - I a newbie in Linux - I like Antergos and feel that the team will make it.

Keep in mind - no risk - no gain!

• The only thing you’d lose out on would be the Antergos repository, which… honestly isn’t a whole lot other than some stuff needed for installation and then themes/fonts/extras (like pacmanxg and yaourt). Everything else is Arch already - and those extras can be found in the AUR anyway.

If Antergos died (which isn’t likely) a similar project would more than likely be created. Or there’s always Manjaro, but that’s not entirely Arch.

• …a similar project would more than likely be created

I think that is the way Linux goes and develops…

• @“52ROSt”:3c58wnxn said:

…a similar project would more than likely be created

I think that is the way Linux goes and develops…

In my opinion, this is feels wrong and is one of the reasons why Linux hasn’t dominated every aspect of the PC world. I don’t want to create any kind of disturbance in the forum, this is my personal view. And of course this is why we use Linux, the ability to create exactly what we want, sometimes based on others people’s efforts.

My objections are, that first of all the only reason a derivative distribution would die off, is if it’s purpose was either fullfilled or was rendered obsolete, in that case why create something similar.
    And if the distro is relevant, why create and maintain something new, and not support what already exists, to make it even better.
    Lastly if the developer team decides to give it up (slim possibility that all of them would quit at the same time), I don’t believe other talented developers would not emerge to fill in the empty spots.

PS. I do believe that Antergos has a very talented developer team. Thank you very much for all the hard work!

• I think Manjaro is a good fill in if this ever happens, Manjaro does have some quirks but the positives are there.

• @“DNAngel”:3rnx5vd9 said:

My objections are, that first of all the only reason a derivative distribution would die off, is if it’s purpose was either fullfilled or was rendered obsolete, in that case why create something similar.
    And if the distro is relevant, why create and maintain something new, and not support what already exists, to make it even better.
    Lastly if the developer team decides to give it up (slim possibility that all of them would quit at the same time), I don’t believe other talented developers would not emerge to fill in the empty spots.[/quote:3rnx5vd9]

Your first point isn’t entirely true - for example, just recently Bodhi Linux announced that development was going to stopping, but not because it’s purpose was “fulfilled or rendered obsolete”, but because the developer didn’t have enough time to give to the project. When projects die off, that is almost always the situation that caused it rather than it being obsolete/fulfilled, and when people talk about Antergos “dying off” that’s the situation I liken it to.

Now, if that happened, one of two things would take place:

1. They’d get more devs and Antergos would continue on.
    2. A “new Antergos” would be made.

You can be sure that option 2 is far less likely than option 1 - and this is also the case with Bodhi mentioned above, the developer is offering his work for anyone that wants to take over the project and continue it.

@“MadmanRB”:3rnx5vd9 said:

I think Manjaro is a good fill in if this ever happens, Manjaro does have some quirks but the positives are there.[/quote:3rnx5vd9]

Manjaro is [i:3rnx5vd9]okay[/i:3rnx5vd9] (I’m using it on this laptop, but run Antergos on my main desktop), but there are incompatibilities with Arch (where Antergos is 100% compatible) and the held-back packages defeats the whole purpose of being on a rolling release in the first place.

Posts 10Views 2239