• Random video/audio and input freezes

Lately my computer randomly freezes a lot.
    When this happens the video feed freezes first, then input stops working (both keyboard and mouse) and eventually audio will stop as well.
    Each time it freezes I have to press the reset button to get back in my computer.

I decided to do a fresh install, thinking that would probably solve the problem, but after a successful install I started configuring some basic things in Cinnamon and all of a sudden it happened again (about 5 minutes after booting into a fresh install).
    I wasn’t doing anything at the time this first freeze happened (the computer was idle) and had nothing extra installed yet.
    Since the fresh install it has happened about 10 times already.

I thought maybe it’s the kernel, so I tried booting into the LTS (fallback) kernel and then I noticed something strange.
    The LTS kernel wouldn’t get past a black screen after the using version 240 message from systemd.
    The LTS kernel always used to work on this computer.

What can I do to solve this annoying freezing problem?

If I need to provide any more information, please let me know :)

• got that a bit with youtube but if good to send some hardware information… free or nonfree drivers eventually some logs

• From what I’ve seen around the net recently this could be your wifi chip and kernel issues (find out what chip you have and google it), and I had similar freezes on OpenSUSE this week which was using older Nvidia drivers so which GPU do you have?

• @robgriff444 @ringo32 Thanks for this quick response :)

My video card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti and I installed the proprietary graphics drivers (415.27-5) via cnchi.

I’m on a Desktop (connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable) so I assume there is no wifi chip involved, but if I’m wrong, how would I find out which wifi chip I have?

• @sora

lspci

will list devices.

And if you install downgrade, you can use:

downgrade nvidia

to choose an older version.
    You can also downgrade the kernel this way too:

downgrade linux

• @robgriff444 lspci gives the following output:

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
    00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
    05:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
    07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller```
  • @sora
    Broadcom BCM57781 (I should have said network not wifi) but I didn’t find anything on google a minute ago. If I remember rightly it was something to with power saving and a specific chipset but I’m not really sure.

If I were you I would downgrade the kernel and maybe the graphics drivers and see how you go, that would at least rule them out.

freeze31 freezes26 freezing15 Posts 7Views 41
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.