• [Lenovo X1 Extreme] No GRUB after fresh dual boot installation

Hi! I just installed Antergos next to Windows 10 on my new Lenovo X1 Extreme (UEFI Bios). Here’s the installation steps that I followed:

• Make free space on my SSD with Windows disk utility software

• Put antergos on an USB key with Etcher

• Use F12 key on boot to be able to boot on USB key

• Use Cnchi to configure my installation

• Edit EFI system partition (260MiB size) (flags: boot, hidden, esp), to mount it on /boot/efi

• Set an ext4 partition for Antergos and home dir (LUKS encrypted)

• Set Grub installation on my SSD

Everything works fine until the reboot, so I was unable to see Grub anywhere, even in the BIOS menus.

It boot all the time on Windows.

May I missed something? I tried some “fix grub installation” articles instructions about Arch or Antergos, but nothing works.

PS: If i have to reinstall everything, it’s ok, I have no data yet on this laptop

Thanks for helping

• @welcoMattic said in [Lenovo X1 Extreme] No GRUB after fresh dual boot installation:

Edit EFI system partition (260MiB size) (flags: boot, hidden, esp),

Could you clarify a bit: what do you mean by editing the EFI partition?
    Basically the only thing to do for the EFI partition on Antergos install is to set it to mount to /boot/efi, but not modify the partition itself in any way.

A basic question: did you disable Secure Boot in BIOS?

And was only your home directory encrypted?

Basically you should see a grub entry in BIOS, and you need to set that grub entry as the default to boot. Then grub can manage booting to both Antergos and Windows.

Could you show the contents of the EFI partition?
    Using the Antergos USB installer to boot, you can just open a terminal and give commands:

lsblk -fm

and you’ll see the partition with vfat as FSTYPE, e.g. /dev/sda5 (a and 5 may be different on your system). If there are more than one vfat (EFI) partitions, then you have too many of them.

Then you could give commands

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    find /mnt -iname \*.efi -exec ls -l {} \;
    sudo umount /mnt

and show the results here.

• I found a solution by myself, here’s steps to fix that

After installation, reboot on USB key and run these commands in a terminal :

• If you have a encrypted ext4 partition, run udiskctl unlock -b /dev/nvme0n1pX where X is the number of your ext4 partition. It should be unlocked in /dev/dm-0
    • Then, mount it on /mnt: mount /dev/dm-0 /mnt
    • And mount ESP partition on /mnt/boot/efi: mount /dev/nvme0n1pY /mnt/boot/efi where Y is the number of your ESP partition
    • Then, run arch-chroot /mnt
    • Generate grub configuration file with grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    • And install grub with grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Antergos-grub

It should resolve the problem. If you have an encrypted ext4 partition, GRUB will ask you for the password at boot with a QWERTY keyboard layout, even if you have configured an AZERTY keyboard layout on installation.

Thanks to @joekamprad for his tutorial but it’s a bit incomplete, and a bit unclear about /dev/sdaX, you should replace X with Y to indicate another partition.

• @welcoMattic
    Nice!
    I haven’t played much with encrypted partitions although I guessed that has something to do with the problem.
    And basically Antergos installer should have done these things during the install, but I don’t know why it didn’t.

grub123 fresh41 [lenovo2 extreme]1 Posts 4Views 90
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.