• Problems with partitions \[SOLVED\]

i am working on the installation of Angergos KDE (only) on my new Thinkpad x240. The original W7 will not be used and no data on the machine, thus, reformating possible at any time.
    On the installed 512GB SSD I wanted to create following 5 partitions:
    [b:2hj6hugd]root [/b:2hj6hugd]- 30 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]swap [/b:2hj6hugd]- 8,2 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]home [/b:2hj6hugd]- 380 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]- 0.5 GB (this to install a small independent system to boot up and make some repair tools available should I be away from home.)
    [b:2hj6hugd]spare [/b:2hj6hugd]- the rest of about 80 GB

I used the graphical installation method and selected installation type “advanced”

Following problems I observed, thus these are my questions:
    1 - The partition, which I called “[b:2hj6hugd]swap[/b:2hj6hugd]” cannot be mounted as the swap partition. So how does the machine know which is the swap partition? What do I need to do here? (Mounting possibilities given are: /, /home. /usr. /var)

2 - I could not create more than 4 partition also I have about 80 GB left. Is there a limitation within Antergos?

3 - Assuming I can create 5 partitions, how do I need to mount the 0.5 GB [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]partition so I can boot a small OS from there? Can I use /boot? (Antergos should not boot from [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]but from root!) Do I possibly need no mounting at all and select this only when I modify the booting device at the start up of the machine?

4 - Is is possible ot mount the [b:2hj6hugd]spare[/b:2hj6hugd]-partition so that I can see it in the file system? If yes, how do I have to do it?

• i am working on the installation of Angergos KDE (only) on my new Thinkpad x240. The original W7 will not be used and no data on the machine, thus, reformating possible at any time.
    On the installed 512GB SSD I wanted to create following 5 partitions:
    [b:2hj6hugd]root [/b:2hj6hugd]- 30 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]swap [/b:2hj6hugd]- 8,2 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]home [/b:2hj6hugd]- 380 GB
    [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]- 0.5 GB (this to install a small independent system to boot up and make some repair tools available should I be away from home.)
    [b:2hj6hugd]spare [/b:2hj6hugd]- the rest of about 80 GB

I used the graphical installation method and selected installation type “advanced”

Following problems I observed, thus these are my questions:
    1 - The partition, which I called “[b:2hj6hugd]swap[/b:2hj6hugd]” cannot be mounted as the swap partition. So how does the machine know which is the swap partition? What do I need to do here? (Mounting possibilities given are: /, /home. /usr. /var)

2 - I could not create more than 4 partition also I have about 80 GB left. Is there a limitation within Antergos?

3 - Assuming I can create 5 partitions, how do I need to mount the 0.5 GB [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]partition so I can boot a small OS from there? Can I use /boot? (Antergos should not boot from [b:2hj6hugd]boot2 [/b:2hj6hugd]but from root!) Do I possibly need no mounting at all and select this only when I modify the booting device at the start up of the machine?

4 - Is is possible ot mount the [b:2hj6hugd]spare[/b:2hj6hugd]-partition so that I can see it in the file system? If yes, how do I have to do it?

• @“52ROSt”:1d3c9cil said:

1 - The partition, which I called “swap” cannot be mounted as the swap partition. So how does the machine know which is the swap partition? What do I need to do here? (Mounting possibilities given are: /, /home. /usr. /var)[/quote:1d3c9cil]
    Swap is not “mounted” in the same way as normal mount points. All you must do is select “swap” as the file system type and the installer will take care of the rest.

@“52ROSt”:1d3c9cil said:

2 - I could not create more than 4 partition also I have about 80 GB left. Is there a limitation within Antergos? [/quote:1d3c9cil]
    The standard partition table that most systems used (before Win8) only allows for 4 primary partitions. You would have to create 3 primary and 1 extended partition. THe extended partition can then be further divided up however you like. Read more about partitioning here: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning][1]

3 - Assuming I can create 5 partitions, how do I need to mount the 0.5 GB boot2 partition so I can boot a small OS from there? Can I use /boot? (Antergos should not boot from boot2 but from root!) Do I possibly need no mounting at all and select this only when I modify the booting device at the start up of the machine?
    [/quote:1d3c9cil]
    There’s no need to mount the extra partition if you do not plan to access it from Antergos. SHould you decide to mount it, you cannot use /boot because your Antergos installation will use /boot wherever it happens to be (whether thats the root or another partition)

4 - Is is possible ot mount the spare-partition so that I can see it in the file system? If yes, how do I have to do it?[/quote:1d3c9cil]
    Sure, just give it a unique mount point. For example, I have a 1TB external drive that I mount as /data on my system.

Hope it helps

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning

• Thank you very much for the very helpful answer. Problem(s) solved. Installation is running. I wonder what the next problem is I am running in…

Posts 4Views 1078