• Desktop and Caja not working anymore

@joekamprad said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

@zoli62 said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

In any case, the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread is working for this Mate-related issue.

it is only a workaround to get caja starting again, but not a solution for the issue itself ;)

It is unfortunate that there is still no solution to this problem.

• I have another PC with Antergos installed on it that I was using to troubleshoot a different bug. On that one, I commented the Antergos repository lines out of /etc/pacman.conf and then updated with sudo pacman -Syyuu and found the workaround was no longer needed. As I’m not an expert, I don’t know what other effects this may have on my main PC though so I haven’t tried it here yet.

• @retronostalgia I also have a test system for exactly these purposes, so I’ll try out what happens to Caja after the update without using the workaround.

• @retronostalgia does it show any error/warnings?

• @joekamprad I didn’t see any warnings but didn’t try launching caja from the console, so I’m not sure. I can’t check anymore as I’ve since installed Ubuntu MATE on that test PC.

I would not recommend doing what I did as a permanent solution as I’m not experienced enough to know if it will cause any hidden problems. However, the info may be useful for anyone working on a real fix.

• Slightly off-topic but still related: seems that some Antergos packages that override upstream packages are not adequately updated.
    For example, packages atril, curl, lightdm-webkit2-greeter, mate-icon-theme, broadcom-wl, xed and dropbox are not up to date. I have no idea why.

As it happens, for dropbox I wrote a new PKGBUILD in https://github.com/manuel-192/dropbox-latest/blob/master/PKGBUILD and that helps keeping the dropbox package automatically and always up to date. No need for the dev to do anything when new dropbox version is available.

These and maybe some other more recent upstream packages are blocked by /etc/pacman.conf since Antergos repo precedes (obviously for a reason) the upstream repos. But blocking upstream packages may also cause problems, as we have seen in the past too.

So I tested moving the Antergos repo after the upstream repos, and some (previously blocked) packages were immediately updated by sudo pacman -Syyuu. So far I haven’t noticed any problems with that move. But that may be caused by the fact that I’m using Xfce which is not often updated.

Anyway, that leads to the idea that Antergos should block less upstream packages, unless there is a real reason for it. And if Antergos specific packages are required, they should be named in a way that does not block upstream packages, if possible.

Could @developers comment on this?

• @manuel said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

curl

antergos/curl-vala 20151218-2
        An object-oriented interface to libcurl for vala and gobject
    antergos/libcurl-openssl-1.0 7.54.1-1
        An URL retrieval library (build against openssl-1.0)
    core/curl 7.64.0-7
        An URL retrieval utility and library

curl itself is from core

• @joekamprad
    I checked, it probably was a typo with curl. It shouldn’t be in the list.
    Other packages are accurate in the list above.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Hmm, looks like it’s been over a month since the last post here. Does anyone know whether this is being looked into by the developers?

I see that MATE installation is currently broken too: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11494/antergos-mate-installation-broken

I guess if there’s a silver lining here, it may motivate me to finally learn how to install vanilla Arch. (As much as I appreciate Antergos…)

• When updating packages today it looked like a bunch of MATE packages (though not any of the Antergos caja- ones?) got updated. I removed the libexempi symlink workaround, updated, rebooted, and everything looks fine - it seems like the workaround is no longer needed.

I don’t know how to check this, but it also looks like some packages that previously were supplied by the Antergos repo (like pluma?) are now supplied by the main Arch repos.

I’d be curious about what exactly happened, if anyone has more insight. Anyway, glad this issue seems to be fixed!

• @retronostalgia
    As Antergos is based on Arch and has also a rolling release model, there may be lots of package changes in a relatively short time.
    Lately some of the Antergos packages have been removed, since the same packages have been updated in upstream (Arch) and there is no more reasons to block those upstream packages. Also, some packages in Antergos are taken from AUR to be officially supported by the Antergos team.

And as packages from all these sources are updated by their maintainers, sometimes there are conflicts and incompatibilities, but they will be resolved as time goes by.

Currently, MATE upstream changes have caused issues, but there are known workarounds to this particular problem. Antergos forum is a good source of information and solutions/workarounds for the issues.

• @retronostalgia said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

When updating packages today it looked like a bunch of MATE packages (though not any of the Antergos caja- ones?) got updated. I removed the libexempi symlink workaround, updated, rebooted, and everything looks fine - it seems like the workaround is no longer needed.

Anyway, glad this issue seems to be fixed!

I wonder how you actually removed your symlink!? After reading your comment today I unlinked my symlink like this:

sudo unlink /usr/lib/libexempi.so.3 

and had the same blank desktop issue with Caja again. My system is up to date.
    Cause I am new to Antergos I wonder if I did something wrong?

Regards

anymore14 caja5 Posts 32Views 1450
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.