• Desktop and Caja not working anymore

Hey,

since today I have a strange problem with my antergos-mate installation. The desktop has no icons anymore, and right-clicking just does nothing. The Desktop folder inside my home directory still contains all items.

Right after a reboot, the desktop is just showing a black screen for ~5s, then the standard blue background is shown (without the icons).

Also, caja does not work anymore. Clicking on it on the panel just does nothing, but the rest of the panel just works fine. I don’t know if this is connected to some update, but currently, there are no more updates available.

I just switched to antergos at 29th of december after years of using Ubuntu without any problems. Is there a way to fix this problem without having to do a complete re-install?

kernel: 4.20.3-arch1-1-ARCH
    mate: 1.20.4

Oh, and I saw in pacman.log, that there are a lot of entries like:

[ALPM-SCRIPTLET] while processing key >>palette<<…
    [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] no key »locked« in schema »org.mate.panel:/org/mate/panel/objects/launcher-1«…

etc.

• @x0r13 what is the version of mate-panel?

pacman -Qs mate-panel

A there was a problem with mate packages shortly and special caja adds:

caja-extensions-common:
    	'community caja-extensions-common 1.20.2-1'
    	'antergos caja-extensions-common 1.18.1-1'
    caja-gksu:
    	'aur caja-gksu 1.20.1-1'
    	'antergos caja-gksu 1.18.1-1'
    caja-image-converter:
    	'community caja-image-converter 1.20.2-1'
    	'antergos caja-image-converter 1.18.1-1'
    caja-open-terminal:
    	'community caja-open-terminal 1.20.2-1'
    	'antergos caja-open-terminal 1.18.1-1'
    caja-sendto:
    	'community caja-sendto 1.20.2-1'
    	'antergos caja-sendto 1.18.1-1'
    caja-share:
    	'community caja-share 1.20.2-1'
    	'antergos caja-share 1.18.1-1'

looks like they are still not updated or removed…

• $ pacman -Qs mate-panel
    local/mate-panel 1.20.4-1 (mate)
        Desktop panel for MATE

This is the output.

Edit: I just realized, when trying to start caja from the shell, I get an error:

caja: error while loading shared libraries: libexempi.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Oo

• I fixed it by creating a symlink of my existing libexempi.so.8:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libexempi.so.8 /usr/lib/libexempi.so.3

I’m not sure if this is a proper fix, and why caja wants the other file instead of the one that came with the system.

• https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/exempi/

Was updated yesterday, so may one of the outdated caja extension packages causing this…

• @x0r13 said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

I fixed it by creating a symlink of my existing libexempi.so.8:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libexempi.so.8 /usr/lib/libexempi.so.3

I’m not sure if this is a proper fix, and why caja wants the other file instead of the one that came with the system.

Thanks for the idea. I always notice how good this forum is. :)

• caja extension packages from Antergos Repo are still outdated/not updated.

Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-01-26 10-02-20.png

• @zoli62 packages still not updated …

antergos/caja-gksu 1.18.1-1 (mate-extra caja-extensions) 
        Privilege granting extension for Caja using gksu       
    aur/caja-gksu 1.20.1-1 (0, 0.00)
        Allows you to open files with administration privileges using the context menu when browsing your files with Caja.

• @joekamprad I was just asking because the update history provided that some Mate-related packages could not be downloaded and could not be updated. This was also mentioned in the other threads quoted above. Of course, this may be just a coincidence.

Otherwise when is the outdated Caja package expected to be updated?

• @zoli62 i do not get any info about this jet…

• @joekamprad Can you confirm that the above workaround mentioned by x0r13, is a possible solution for this issue?

• @zoli62 as @x0r13 say it is working, but it isn’t a proper fix for the issue… this would be only updating the extensions.

• Has a bug been filed for this yet? It’s affecting me as well. I’d be happy to file one if needed. Just to clarify, is it just the Antergos repo’s caja-* packages that need to be updated? Thanks…

• This bug report looks related: https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues/430

As a random user, is there anything more I can do to address this? Thanks…

EDIT: looks like this is part of a larger issue: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11267/possibly-outdated-antergos-packages

• @retronostalgia as you can read above ;)

• I think solving this is a bit tricky, as Antergos is packaging Mate before with a lot of packages and current changes need a bigger cleanup at development side…

• In any case, the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread is working for this Mate-related issue.

• @zoli62 said in Desktop and Caja not working anymore:

In any case, the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread is working for this Mate-related issue.

it is only a workaround to get caja starting again, but not a solution for the issue itself ;)

• Thanks everyone. I’ve implemented the workaround while I wait for a fix.

anymore14 caja5 Posts 32Views 1403
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.