• pamac 7.3.4-1 changes/issues/thinkings

pamac 2019-01-21 11-29-38.png

I have the issue that it seems pamac do not show notifications to the tray on its own anymore, it needs to start pamac-tray as an extra program also on GNOME … and its desktop file is not showing in KDE/GNOME:

cat /etc/xdg/autostart/pamac-tray.desktop                         
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Update Notifier
    Icon=update-notifier
    Exec=sh -c "GDK_BACKEND=x11 pamac-tray"
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=false
    NotShowIn=KDE;GNOME;

I do need to cp /etc/xdg/autostart/pamac-tray.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
    and remove GNOME from the file so that it looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Update Notifier
    Icon=update-notifier
    Exec=sh -c "GDK_BACKEND=x11 pamac-tray"
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=false
    NotShowIn=KDE;

(this needs gnome-shell-extension-topicons-plus-git from AUR)

I do not like this shield tray icon, as it reminds more on firewall or antivirus application…
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/pamac-tray-no-update.svg
    pamac-tray-no-update.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/pamac-tray-update.svg
    pamac-tray-update.png

• @joekamprad
    I’ve noticed that earlier, Manjaro uses for Gnome the gnome-shell-extension-arch-update in their system and let’s Pamac perform the update. I don’t know why they chose to do that, but there must be a reason for it.
    I myself use the same shell extension, but use the terminal for updating. The only thing I’ve changed is the command into yay -Syu. In that case it also checks the AUR updates.

• @Bryanpwo said in pamac 7.3.4-1 changes/issues/thinkings:

gnome-shell-extension-arch-update

is the more easy solution… you can also insert a package-manager into settings. and it does not need topicons (what is not maintained anymore)

We also discuss this here:

https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/issues/274

• on icons , its also on gnome ⛏ :)

• @ringo32
    arch-error-symbolic.png archer-full-detail.png

What about icons is also on GNOME?

• @joekamprad thats looks nice :) but meant gnome on systray support , but i dont know since i dont use gnome :)

For my self i use tk based package synaptic clone :) for pacman & kalu is fine for me , aur stuf prefer pkgbrowser & cli line

• @ringo32 Gnome itself do not support the so called legacy Tray anymore, but gnome-shell-extension-arch-update is working, and yes only under GNOME.
    But other DE/WM have support for tray like i3 with i3-blocks, kde with pamac-tray-appindicator, xfce with xfce4-indicator-plugin, what is working with pamac-tray…

• FYI, I don’t see any changes in terms of sys tray on my three installations of Antergos with KDE.
    The icons used in the app have changed, but that’s the extent of difference from before.
    If sys tray doesn’t work on KDE for new installations then it is likely that the Antergos installation has regressed.
    EDIT: Oops, that came across as a bit rude.
    I meant to ask not state :-( “Is it likely that the Antergos installation has regressed?”

• I also notice some delay of opening pamac when i click in the notification for new updates icon. Its not something big issue, i just mention it.

• This is a problem with Pamac, but, not the same issue. It is no longer showing green for installed programs and orange for noninstalled ones. Only a brown color for all. To see what is installed I have to click on the program and see. Very annoying.

• @michaelnothing
    Try change the icon theme, then you’ll see the difference. Some GTK icon themes, like the numix icons, are the cause of that.

• @Bryanpwo said in pamac 7.3.4-1 changes/issues/thinkings:

@michaelnothing
    Try change the icon theme, then you’ll see the difference. Some GTK icon themes, like the numix icons, are the cause of that.

I see. How long has that been a problem? I have used Numix Square since switching to Antergos a few years ago, and, this is a relatively new phenomenon.

• I don’t know which one is the culprit here, but the previous version of Pamac didn’t show this. I don’t think Pamac itself changes the behaviour of an icon set, so it could be that the appearance already was there, but Pamac couldn’t display it.

• @Bryanpwo Thanks for the info. After looking at icons for the last bit, I guess I will just deal with it and hope the next version reverts to old behavior.

• I have issues with new pamac too… antergos KDE, it always worked perfectly, but now very often I see red icon in sys tray, and it says “X updates available”. When I open updates window, it shows “System is up to date”. I close window, and sys tray says again - “X updates available”. Open main window again - “System is up to date”.

Sometimes, there are some updates for real, but that doesn’t work as expected. For example, got a message today - “7 new packages available” in sys tray. So I opened main window, and there were 7 updates. Downloaded all of them and got message “System is up to date”. Guess what… Sys tray icon is still red and says “2 updates available”, even if there are no more updates…

https://i.postimg.cc/7PKj5Yyn/1.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/VN9VmzRM/2.png

• @toxpal strange … anyone else see this under plasma?
    Can you provide journal log for pamac?

• Strange. I had a look at the images posted, and noticed that the sys tray icon is “new”, as in the red shield like with an “i” in the middle.
    I do not see this icon in the sys tray for my installations of Antergos.
    I “live dangerously” by updating Antergos every time I’m online and an update is available.
    My pamac installation is from the antergos repository, is version 7.3.4-1 and installed packages are pamac and pamac-tray-appindicator.
    @toxpal are those the exact packages that you have installed?

[[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Sii pamac pamac-tray-appindicator
    Repository      : antergos
    Name            : pamac
    Version         : 7.3.4-1
    Description     : A GTK3 frontend for libalpm
    Architecture    : x86_64
    URL             : https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac
    Licenses        : GPL3
    Groups          : None
    Provides        : pamac
    Depends On      : glib2>=2.42  json-glib  libsoup  dbus-glib  polkit  vte3>=0.38  gtk3>=3.22  libnotify  desktop-file-utils  pacman>=5.1  pacman<5.2
                      gnutls>=3.4  appstream-glib  archlinux-appstream-data  git
    Optional Deps   : pamac-dev-tray-appindicator: tray icon for KDE
    Required By     : antergos-budgie-meta  antergos-cinnamon-meta  antergos-deepin-meta  antergos-gnome-meta  antergos-mate-meta  antergos-xfce-meta
                      pamac-tray-appindicator
    Optional For    : mate-mint-menu
    Conflicts With  : pamac
    Replaces        : None
    Download Size   : 499.48 KiB
    Installed Size  : 3271.00 KiB
    Packager        : Antergos Build Server <[email protected]>
    Build Date      : Sun 20 Jan 2019 02:49:25 GMT
    MD5 Sum         : 57bdc976a96d3824c7909a5db460c93e
    SHA-256 Sum     : b7aed9a0020e69b3a8071e8938af408c1f5c3200a3a83c26d5bc2ab9e054056c
    Signatures      : CDBD406AA1AA7A1D

Name            : pamac-tray-appindicator
    Description     : Tray icon using appindicator for improved KDE support.
    Provides        : None
    Depends On      : pamac  libappindicator-gtk3
    Optional Deps   : None
    Required By     : antergos-kde-meta
    Optional For    : None
    Conflicts With  : pamac-tray-appindicator-dev
    Download Size   : 15.89 KiB
    Installed Size  : 71.00 KiB
    Build Date      : Sun 20 Jan 2019 02:49:25 GMT
    MD5 Sum         : bd00616d1cc548659259935b099b2f9c
    SHA-256 Sum     : 83f19e8a18d766aafa6e2817e2e8990f51d2cdab135f5e2becadec1dfc5fd606

• I always had a “normal” icon until some update recently (a week or two ago), then icon was changed and now looks like a shield from Windows. I have 3 computers running antergos KDE, and all of them have exactly the same setup (and the same packages installed, except drivers, which are different on each computer). 2nd computer still has “normal” icon after all the updates, will need to check the 3rd (it’s in the office right now, so can’t access it).

$ pacman -Sii pamac pamac-tray-appindicator
    Name            : pamac
    Description     : A GTK3 frontend for libalpm
    Provides        : pamac
    Depends On      : glib2>=2.42  json-glib  libsoup  dbus-glib  polkit  vte3>=0.38  gtk3>=3.22  libnotify  desktop-file-utils  pacman>=5.1  pacman<5.2  gnutls>=3.4  appstream-glib  archlinux-appstream-data  git
    Optional Deps   : pamac-dev-tray-appindicator: tray icon for KDE
    Required By     : antergos-budgie-meta  antergos-cinnamon-meta  antergos-deepin-meta  antergos-gnome-meta  antergos-mate-meta  antergos-xfce-meta  pamac-tray-appindicator
    Optional For    : mate-mint-menu
    Conflicts With  : pamac
    Download Size   : 499,48 KiB
    Installed Size  : 3271,00 KiB
    Build Date      : 2019 m. sausio 20 d. 04:49:25
    MD5 Sum         : 57bdc976a96d3824c7909a5db460c93e
    SHA-256 Sum     : b7aed9a0020e69b3a8071e8938af408c1f5c3200a3a83c26d5bc2ab9e054056c

Name            : pamac-tray-appindicator
    Description     : Tray icon using appindicator for improved KDE support.
    Provides        : None
    Depends On      : pamac  libappindicator-gtk3
    Optional Deps   : None
    Required By     : antergos-kde-meta
    Optional For    : None
    Conflicts With  : pamac-tray-appindicator-dev
    Download Size   : 15,89 KiB
    Installed Size  : 71,00 KiB
    Build Date      : 2019 m. sausio 20 d. 04:49:25
    MD5 Sum         : bd00616d1cc548659259935b099b2f9c
    SHA-256 Sum     : 83f19e8a18d766aafa6e2817e2e8990f51d2cdab135f5e2becadec1dfc5fd606

• @toxpal It seems it has to do with the hardware, for some vague reason, on my KDE machine like @BlaiseD I have the previous icon.

• @joekamprad said in pamac 7.3.4-1 changes/issues/thinkings:

Can you provide journal log for pamac?

Last few days - https://pastebin.com/jiLJv6ga

pamac70 7.3.4-11 Posts 31Views 786
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.