• Which desktop for older hardware?

Hi,

I have Antegros on my main laptop and desktop now. Both with Gnome. However, I am so impressed with the distro I want to put it on all the machines around here. Two of them are older laptops (5-7 years old). Both run slowly with stock Ubuntu now. Which of the desktops offered for Antergos is best for older hardware? I have looked online but the results are inconclusive so I thought I wold ask here also in case there are users who run Antergos on both newer and older hardware and can give advice in this regard.

• Hi,

I have Antegros on my main laptop and desktop now. Both with Gnome. However, I am so impressed with the distro I want to put it on all the machines around here. Two of them are older laptops (5-7 years old). Both run slowly with stock Ubuntu now. Which of the desktops offered for Antergos is best for older hardware? I have looked online but the results are inconclusive so I thought I wold ask here also in case there are users who run Antergos on both newer and older hardware and can give advice in this regard.

• Hi,

What will work the fastest is installing the Openbox flavour.

But maybe you feel it is too “featureless” for your taste.

Lxqt is a good option, but it’s not ready in our installer.

Cheers!

• @“karasu”:1l00ix0m said:

Hi,

What will work the fastest is installing the Openbox flavour.

But maybe you feel it is too “featureless” for your taste.

Lxqt is a good option, but it’s not ready in our installer.

Cheers![/quote:1l00ix0m]

I think Openbox will work as long as it has a task bar. I will check it out. Thanks!

• you can always add a dock or another panel of your choice if tint2 isnt enough features for you. the plank dock does very good as a launcher.

• @“megaman”:v1czh8hb said:

you can always add a dock or another panel of your choice if tint2 isnt enough features for you. the plank dock does very good as a launcher.[/quote:v1czh8hb]

I’ve used a desktop consisting of tint2 and Pekwm in the past which worked very well. So it being tint2 is good.

Posts 6Views 1419
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.