• Which desktop for older hardware?

Hi,

I have Antegros on my main laptop and desktop now. Both with Gnome. However, I am so impressed with the distro I want to put it on all the machines around here. Two of them are older laptops (5-7 years old). Both run slowly with stock Ubuntu now. Which of the desktops offered for Antergos is best for older hardware? I have looked online but the results are inconclusive so I thought I wold ask here also in case there are users who run Antergos on both newer and older hardware and can give advice in this regard.

//Christian

• Hi,

I have Antegros on my main laptop and desktop now. Both with Gnome. However, I am so impressed with the distro I want to put it on all the machines around here. Two of them are older laptops (5-7 years old). Both run slowly with stock Ubuntu now. Which of the desktops offered for Antergos is best for older hardware? I have looked online but the results are inconclusive so I thought I wold ask here also in case there are users who run Antergos on both newer and older hardware and can give advice in this regard.

//Christian

• Hi,

What will work the fastest is installing the Openbox flavour.

But maybe you feel it is too “featureless” for your taste.

Lxqt is a good option, but it’s not ready in our installer.

Cheers!

• @“karasu”:1l00ix0m said:

Hi,

What will work the fastest is installing the Openbox flavour.

But maybe you feel it is too “featureless” for your taste.

Lxqt is a good option, but it’s not ready in our installer.

Cheers![/quote:1l00ix0m]

I think Openbox will work as long as it has a task bar. I will check it out. Thanks!

//Christian

• you can always add a dock or another panel of your choice if tint2 isnt enough features for you. the plank dock does very good as a launcher.

• @“megaman”:v1czh8hb said:

you can always add a dock or another panel of your choice if tint2 isnt enough features for you. the plank dock does very good as a launcher.[/quote:v1czh8hb]

I’ve used a desktop consisting of tint2 and Pekwm in the past which worked very well. So it being tint2 is good.

//Christian

Posts 6Views 1001