• Should enable testing?

Hi,

I am relatively new to Arch and completely new to Antergos (been on deb distros since 1998). So I was wondering which repos to enable. I do need multilib for Skype, so that one I already did. The question is whether to enable the two testing repos, community and multilib. Whats the benefit and/or disadvantage of enabling those?

//Christian

• Hi,

I am relatively new to Arch and completely new to Antergos (been on deb distros since 1998). So I was wondering which repos to enable. I do need multilib for Skype, so that one I already did. The question is whether to enable the two testing repos, community and multilib. Whats the benefit and/or disadvantage of enabling those?

//Christian

• Hi,

Short answer: don’t.

Testing repositories are mainly used by Arch developers as a play zone, to test new packages. You’ll be prone to system failures and bugs if you use it, and you’ll experience no real benefits. Packages are moved from testing really fast, so it’s not a big deal.

Some people activate them to install the latest version of Gnome, and so on… but as these packages are moved fast to the “normal” repositories, you just have to wait to get them, and it’s normally a matter of weeks (with big DE releases).

As Antergos is rolling release, you’ll find updated versions of all your programs (as you would find in a Debian testing) without the need of activating testing repos.

Cheers!

• @“karasu”:26h5doeu said:

Hi,

Short answer: don’t.

Testing repositories are mainly used by Arch developers as a play zone, to test new packages. You’ll be prone to system failures and bugs if you use it, and you’ll experience no real benefits. Packages are moved from testing really fast, so it’s not a big deal.

Some people activate them to install the latest version of Gnome, and so on… but as these packages are moved fast to the “normal” repositories, you just have to wait to get them, and it’s normally a matter of weeks (with big DE releases).

As Antergos is rolling release, you’ll find updated versions of all your programs (as you would find in a Debian testing) without the need of activating testing repos.

Cheers![/quote:26h5doeu]

Thanks again. This is a work machine so I think being Arch based in itself is bleeding edge enough. I just wasn’t sure if testing meant testing versions of existing packages or testing of new software. That’s now clarified and I’ll stay off testing.

//Christian

Posts 4Views 1227