• stuck at the "Partition" bit of the install procedure...

hi all,
    new here :-)
    I’m trying to install Antergos on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 (AMD A9-9420, Radeon R5 & 8 GB Ram, 1 T HD).
    So far I’ve always installed only Linux on my laptops, but as this one has a quite big hd I’d like to have a dual boot Windows/Linux machine.
    Antergos live seems to be working fine (and this is actually the reason I’m trying it, instead of Manjaro as in my previous laptop), however as I wrote I can’t go beyond the partitioning stage.
    I do (try to) follow the instructions found on the antergos wiki for dual booth with Windows.
    I do select the free space and click on + new, write as from the instructions and this is the result:
    antergos1.JPG
    Now, first there’s this thing that the Mount Checklist doesn’t change and there’s that red “no go” sign, then there’s one fat 32 partition, but the label isn’t ESP but there’s this SYSTEM_DRV. I’ve tried to edit this partition, ad here’s the result:
    antergos2.JPG
    And then I can’t go any further, as “+ New” stays gray whatever I try, and I don’t know what to do next.
    What if I use gparted on the live to create a big free space and then modify/create the root, swap and home partition with Cnchi?
    Or there somewhere a more detailed tutorial for the not so bright linux users?
    :-)
    Thanks!

P.S. please note I’ve had many issues logging in here (mentioned in another section of the forum), if you reply and don’t see me answer, it’s just because I’m outside struggling to get in…

• If you use Gparted, like you suggested, create a root, home and swap partition with it. The only thing you have to do in Cnchi then, is select a partiton and click on the box with the red sign to assign it as root and do so with home and swap.

• @Bryanpwo thanks for the reply!
    I’ll try that, however another issue I had was that this box with the red sign seemed unresponsive (but possibly I haven’t done it the right way…).
    :-)

• That’s because the space is too small for a root partition (30- 40 GB is normal)

• @Finrod You haven’t a marked mount point for root, and you don’t click the box with the red sign, it changes when it’s satisfied, and it needs a mount point for that

• @Bryanpwo but wasn’t 20 GB enough (from the wiki article)? Anyway, I’ll try again with 30.

• @robgriff444 thanks, I’ll try that too.

• 20 GB is large enough, but once you get into Arch, you’ll thank me for the extra space I suggested.😉

• @Finrod TBH I struggled a bit with it when I first did it but my mind ‘clicked’ once I had done it right, it will even add a ‘button’ to says swap is ok if you add it!

• @Bryanpwo I’m not completely new to Arch as using Manjaro on the machine I’m writing right now, and be sure I’ll keep thanking you :-)

• Thanks, I was merely aiming at the fact that Arch users are more likely tempted to tinker with their systems or even have more than one DE installed alongside.

• @Bryanpwo for me OpenBox is more than enough (one of the reasons I’m trying Antergos), even if I have a machine at home with Cinnamon ;-)

• @Finrod i can see also you do not create a mountpoint “/” for systemroot partition and sure 729K is not enough space ;)

• @joekamprad well, I did enter 20 GB and clicked on “apply”…
    Anyway, trying again soon and report the results :-)

• @Finrod you can not “click” 20Gb to create 20GB partition out of a 729K partition… yoiú will need to shrink one of your ntfs partitions first to free space on the drive, you can do this with gparted, reboot and try again, but first take care that the drive is clean und defragented from windows.

also possible out of windows install:

http://dailylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-shrink-windows-10-to-make-space.html

• @joekamprad yes, thanks, I did realize that after a while. I had assumed the installer would have done that, then I preferred to ask before doing anything not in the tutorial ;-)
    I’d rather do the partition with gparted, I’m actually not much familiar with Windows, as I used Mac OS before moving to Linux a few years ago.
    How do I “take care that the drive is clean und defragented from windows”? Laptop is pretty new, I just installed the Windows updates and Firefox, I assume it’s still “clean” and not that fragmented, but as with most of the stuff here, I could well be wrong ;-)

• @Finrod it is saying that it can caus problems, as if you shrink the partition from the end and there is some fragmentation, filesystem can be screwed after the shrinking process…

howto defrag win 10: https://youtu.be/w533IeOZLVI?t=54

• @joekamprad many thanks!

• @Finrod He means to defrag the drive first (if it needs it) in windows so that when you resize it you don’t run into any problems or the resize takes longer than it should.

• @robgriff444 yes, I got that bit :-)

stuck43 partition37 procedure1 Posts 29Views 183
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.