• Unable to boot Linux kernel 4.15+ on AMD GPU

Hello, for quite some time I’ve been having issues with my system. I’ve used lts version for a while but want the get over the issue once and for all.
    When loading system on kernel 4.15 or any higher than, I’m only able to see the process right until I enter the password to decrypt the hard drive. After that there is no output from the GPU (I guess?) and the monitor goes into power saving mode.
    I do believe the GPU (AMD Radeon R9 380) and display stack added may be related to my issue. I do use mesa drivers.
    Log files (mirror) as recommended in help thread.

• may issue is caused by DM (Desktop Manager) lightdm?
    try to use sddm may help (if using KDE/plasma)

https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/installing-display-managers/

You can may change to TTY2 with pressing [Ctrl+Alt+F2]

• The issue of no output to the monitor still persists when using other TTY. I cannot see the console. The only way I could type commands in that state is using the SSH.

• ssh will work also…

And please give more info about hardware, like monitor-setup, connectors e.t.c.

• GPU is connected to the monitor using DVI to VGA adapter, monitor is pretty old Flatron W1934S-BN.
    lscpi output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev d0)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z97 Chipset LPC Controller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380] (rev f1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tonga HDMI Audio [Radeon R9 285/380]
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)

Also, I feel like I weren’t clear enough, I’m able to use the machine just fine on Linux 4.14.90-1-lts so I can do commands from here. It’s the newer kernels that seem to cause issues.

Tested with sddm DM, however this did not fix the issue.

• @Frisk said in Unable to boot Linux kernel 4.15+ on AMD GPU:

Radeon R9 285/380

o.k. may you can add dmesg output from boot with kernel 4.20?
    dmesg | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    or journalctl -b -0 | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    what will autopastebin boot log and give the url to it at the end you can post here

• i can see linux users having this issue with all different Distros and kernels…

• Sure, here you go! https://ptpb.pw/SyA4

• [   18.497190] [drm] dce110_link_encoder_construct: Failed to get encoder_cap_info from VBIOS with error code 4!
    [   18.497203] [drm] dce110_link_encoder_construct: Failed to get encoder_cap_info from VBIOS with error code 4!
    [   18.497215] [drm] dce110_link_encoder_construct: Failed to get encoder_cap_info from VBIOS with error code 4!

Do you or do you not try this kernel parameter already?

amdgpu.dc=0

and do you have linux-firmware installed?
    pacman -Qs linux-firmwareto check

• Do you or do you not try this kernel parameter already?

I didn’t do this yet but it does do the trick! Thank you very much, your help is very appreciated. :)
    However, I do not understand why the AMD DC would break existing functionality. Anyway, I’ll go modify existing GRUB settings.
    I just hope this thread helps someone in similar need in the future.

• @Frisk
    It says:
    AMDGPU Display Core:
    The code covers just over 130,000 lines and is used for Vega graphics cards as well as AMD Raven Ridge chips based on Ryzen and using Vega graphics.
    For this hardware, DC is a prerequisite for using the actual output capabilities under Linux.

But as far as i can see there are many unsolved bugs with it, and may this is the reason that you need to add this kernel parameter…

kernel152 gpu18 radeon15 no output1 Posts 11Views 391
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.