• Just switched over

Hi everyone, just switched over from the dark side (Windows 10 LTSB). I’ve spent the last 6 months running Antergos in a VM and learning my way around. I was also switching to open source software on Windows in that time. 2 days ago I finally made the jump and and removed the windows partitions and installed Antergos. The final straw for me was the 5 hours it took to update my in laws 2 Windows 10 computers. I must say running Antergos KDE that is not in a VM is marvellous. So fast. Everything went pretty well on install apart from a couple things which the Wiki took care of :) A lot of people kept saying Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro and such. I found Antergos the easiest and because I wanted a rolling release. I just have a question on software. Looking to replace a few of them.

LTS Kernel, I do have both kernels installed just in case. Is this a good idea?
    TeamViewer > ? Not really needed but would be nice for when I’m at work :)
    dBpoweramp > Audacity & Asunder?
    Tor Browser > ?
    AnyDVD HD > ? Only DVD’s
    Burning an ISO to USB? Used Image Writer for this install. Is unetbootin better?

• @Grinder

• Having both the regular kernel and the LTS kernel installed is a good idea. If there are bugs in the latest kernel, then you can always use the LTS kernel, which is relatively more stable and has less bugs (LTS).

• TeamViewer is present in the AUR

• Audacity is present in the repos too.

• Tor is also in the repos. I use “windscribe-cli” package from AUR.

I use Rufus to burn the ISO (I am a Windows 10 user) . Etcher is also good but I haven’t used it.

If you want anything, then search in the repos first. If not available then check the AUR.

• @Grinder
    Although @Quantum_Sniper already answered well to your questions, I’d like to add some additional notes.

Burning ISO: the plain old dd is very reliable, etcher is great, rufus in DD mode also works. Unetbootin does not work AFAIK. So direct raw copy (like dd) is the best for burning Antergos ISO to a stick.

You mentioned using Image Writer, did you use any specific settings with it or just the defaults? I’m asking because I’ve never used it.

• @Quantum_Sniper said in Just switched over:

@Grinder

• Having both the regular kernel and the LTS kernel installed is a good idea. If there are bugs in the latest kernel, then you can always use the LTS kernel, which is relatively more stable and has less bugs (LTS).

• TeamViewer is present in the AUR

• Audacity is present in the repos too.

• Tor is also in the repos. I use “windscribe-cli” package from AUR.

I use Rufus to burn the ISO (I am a Windows 10 user) . Etcher is also good but I haven’t used it.

If you want anything, then search in the repos first. If not available then check the AUR.

Thanks heaps. Just grabbed all 3 :)

• @manuel said in Just switched over:

@Grinder
    Although @Quantum_Sniper already answered well to your questions, I’d like to add some additional notes.

Burning ISO: the plain old dd is very reliable, etcher is great, rufus in DD mode also works. Unetbootin does not work AFAIK. So direct raw copy (like dd) is the best for burning Antergos ISO to a stick.

You mentioned using Image Writer, did you use any specific settings with it or just the defaults? I’m asking because I’ve never used it.

Still learning my way around and constantly researching. I have read about dd. Will definitely try this method as heaps of people are recommending it including yourself. Still also learning how to find the hashes on files. I was using Quickhash on Windows. I had gotten Image Writer in the VM and didn’t change any settings. I just left it as defaults.

• @Grinder

Still also learning how to find the hashes on files.

Package coreutils provides lots of related little apps like sha1sum, sha256sum, md5sum and many more. For example, to create a checksum, run

sha256sum antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso

The output of the above is

84d0d065da0c973644e960cd961fd258a3d7f6618d46f72b537cefe6671b8390  antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso

and you may feed this info to check the downloaded ISO:

echo "84d0d065da0c973644e960cd961fd258a3d7f6618d46f72b537cefe6671b8390  antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso" | sha256sum -c

Note that echo parameter above has a specific formatting, in this case two spaces between the checksum and the file name.

Then the dd: one way to use it for burning a USB stick is

dd bs=4M status=progress if=antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX && sync

where /dev/sdX refers to the USB stick drive, the bs parameter is very useful optimization, and the sync command makes sure everything is written to the stick before you can remove the stick. Note that the stick must be unmounted before doing this!
    The X of the /dev/sdX is found with command

lsblk -fm

and be absolutely sure to have the X right, otherwise you may delete the contents of any other disk!

• @manuel said in Just switched over:

@Grinder

Still also learning how to find the hashes on files.

Package coreutils provides lots of related little apps like sha1sum, sha256sum, md5sum and many more. For example, to create a checksum, run

sha256sum antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso

The output of the above is

84d0d065da0c973644e960cd961fd258a3d7f6618d46f72b537cefe6671b8390  antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso

and you may feed this info to check the downloaded ISO:

echo "84d0d065da0c973644e960cd961fd258a3d7f6618d46f72b537cefe6671b8390  antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso" | sha256sum -c

Note that echo parameter above has a specific formatting, in this case two spaces between the checksum and the file name.

Then the dd: one way to use it for burning a USB stick is

dd bs=4M status=progress if=antergos-18.12-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX && sync

where /dev/sdX refers to the USB stick drive, the bs parameter is very useful optimization, and the sync command makes sure everything is written to the stick before you can remove the stick. Note that the stick must be unmounted before doing this!
    The X of the /dev/sdX is found with command

lsblk -fm

and be absolutely sure to have the X right, otherwise you may delete the contents of any other disk!

Cheers for that. I will play around with that tonight. I will make 100% sure on the X :)

• A bit late in the conversation, but Imagewriter works very well if you don’t want to use the terminal.
    Welcome to Antergos BTW.

• @Bryanpwo said in Just switched over:

A bit late in the conversation, but Imagewriter works very well if you don’t want to use the terminal.
    Welcome to Antergos BTW.

I would like to learn the terminal more and more. Since I switched, everytime I see a windows desktop I cringe. I feel free and liberated at the moment. I look back at all the years I wasted and thought I was in control, boy was I wrong. Glad to be here at Antergos :)

switched4 Posts 9Views 287
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.