• Migrating existing NTFS game media libraries to Antergos

Hi,
    (sorry for the long post)
    I just joined the forum after installing Antergos (KDE) today. I’ve used Linux a fair few times casually with the aim of migrating all of my systems and my work machine over to Linux over time. Am well and truly fed up with Windows and its constant update/restarts that are infuriating.

The issue is that I have used Ubuntu and for a very short while Fedora in the past so am yet to find my way around the Terminal/Konsole on my Razer Blade Stealth, which seems to be running sweetly as a dual boot (owned by work not me so have to leave WIndoze on there) and is very responsive (16GB RAM and a 512GB NVMe SSD will do that I suppose)…

but… am in the process of sorting my desktop and applications. Have done the icons, fonts etc and yet to sort desktop widgets. I’ve fired up steam and found 55 of my games are available natively , which is awesome but I can stream them too I think. My main concern is that I have a ton of tv, video and game content on my Windows 10 desktop in the other room that runs Plex, Steam and various apps like Visual Studio etc.

Having had issues with Ubuntu not auto-mounting NTFS drives (that currently hold all the media and game content) and having to write scripts to do that, do I need to do similar or will Antergos auto-mount the NTFS drives for me? I’d rather not have to physically migrate the content to new drives when the existing drives are almost brand new albeit on a slightly rubbish format.

Thoughts?

• Since you are using KDE, install KDE Partition Manager and use it to set up the mount points for the NTFS partitions.

If you were having problems mount NTFS partitions then the issue I’ve encountered more often than not with Windows 8 is the error “The disk contains an unclean file system”
    This can usually be solved by logging into windoze and typing shutdown -s using cmd.

Another option (if acceptable for your use case) is mount NTFS partitions as readonly, but this is not something I’ve tried myself.

• @Jon_Torbitt
    If you don’t mind working with the terminal, NTFS drives should be quite easy to manage. Antergos installs package ntfs-3g by default, so the driver support is there. And gparted (or the KDE partition manager which I haven’t really used) can be used for creating and deleting any partitions on disk, including NTFS.

Definitions for auto-mounting partitions can be written into file /etc/fstab. You already have Antergos partitions mounted there.

An NTFS partition can be added to that file like this:

UUID="uuid-of-the-ntfs-partition" "path-to-mount-point" ntfs defaults

and you need to specify the uuid and mount point (an existing empty directory). For example:

UUID=ae43f86c-815e-4ba2-9a9c-79f915efcc41 /ntfs/docs ntfs defaults

Be sure to create the directory /ntfs/docs (like: sudo mkdir -p /ntfs/docs) before mounting/rebooting. You can choose the path quite freely, /ntfs/docs was just an example. As you have many NTFS drives/partitions, a common root directory like /ntfs may be a good idea. And then each NTFS partition can be put to (existing) subdirectories of /ntfs.

EDIT 2019-Jan-03: fixed a typo (missing ntfs word) in the example above.

• @Jon_Torbitt read here for diggin into all aviable options on mounting NTFS:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Configuring

• erased post / reason= unrelated

game12 ntfs10 existing4 migrating1 Posts 5Views 149
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.