• Linux 4.20 has arrived

I never post a thing on new kernel updates, but I must say that on my three machines this kernel performs swift and snappy, I’m impressed.

• @Bryanpwo I can confirm this. On one of my machines, the new kernel has already been installed and works without any interruption.

• The big difference I notice with the passing of the kernels, is the temperature they provide, which does not make me any problem at all in my machines, but it does notice a lot.

• @Bryanpwo Just installed this new kernel about half an hour ago. For the moment I can confirm your impressions. This seems to be a good one - CPU & RAM usage are rather low on KDE Plasma! 👍

• Fairly im scared i wait for few days :)

• So far 4.20 works very well for me too.

Hopefully Arch gets the new linux-lts 4.19 in order soon… It should be easy, as it was the mainline kernel on Arch/Antergos already.

• just updated too seems all fine for me too :)

• no issue here too ✌
    Bonan Novjaron ĉi tie!

• No issues here. The good thing is that the temp of the processor is kept low in this kernel. I don’t know if this is because of the 4.20 kernel or not.

BTW, any new kernel versions doesn’t make much difference to me. I can’t recognize the difference between 4.19 kernel series and 4.20 or anything like that. I just hope that the devs are doing their job of improving kernel with every update. Just this trust that with each update the system is becoming better/more efficient. I guess the same trust also applies to the rolling release distros. This belief keeps me to Antergos (or any rolling release) ☺

• @Quantum_Sniper Lower temps are probably due to the new kernel to a certain extent I should imagine.

As for other differences it would seem as if there are smaller CPU “spikes” on my DE(Plasma) same with RAM under normal load(s).

• @frenchconnection The temp difference is huge for me. Previously when using 4.18 and 4.19 kernel series, the temp was around 55 C. Now it’s around 37 C .

• @Quantum_Sniper I’m using a Kaby Lake i3 7100 and temps and energy usage are low - and reputedly so I might add - notwithstanding the fact that I’m using a Cooler Master N200 case that is properly ventilated as well…which all helps at the end of the day! 😉

• @frenchconnection It’s good to hear that with the new kernel, KDE uses less resources.

• My WiFi is longer working. It may be due to 4.20 kernel. Not sure. Check this link please: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11182/wifi-no-longer-working-on-freshly-installed-antergos

• @Quantum_Sniper Looks like this is hardware related.

• @frenchconnection The more and more I look at it, it looks more like the issue is the 4.20 Linux kernel. This didn’t happen in the previous 4.18 and 4.19 kernel series. So all is NOT well.

• Remember that 4.20 is brand new and is still under “heavy” development and patching.

But its strange if it doesn’t work with the LTS/4.19 kernel

• @inffy Yep not working for both 4.20 and 4.19 LTS. My WiFi model is Broadcom BCM43142 and hope the next kernel update comes quickly and fixes it.

• @Quantum_Sniper Have you tried 4.14 kernel to see how that goes? If that kernel works as did 4.18 and 4.19, then, you’d probably be right pointing out the 4.20 kernel.

That being said, I don’t have, nor do I use Wifi for the sake of simplicity and security so to speak…so, I’m not experiencing your problems with 4.20.

I hope this issue will work out for you rapidly - the Arch devs are rather reactive, and I doubt this headache will last much longer. 🤞

• @frenchconnection
    Now 4.19 is the new LTS kernel. To use 4.14, downgrade package is needed. But there may be other issues because of downgrading, at least later if not now.

4.202 arrived1 Posts 45Views 889
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.