• Problems with the nouveau free driver

Hello people! How long? Many things have happened for my life … and they continue to happen.

The fact is that, after a series of problems with my hard drive, I decided to download the latest ISO to install Antergos again, with KDE, in a partition.

Everything in the same way I had last summer. What happens is that if I do not install the proprietary nVidia drivers I can not get the desktop to work properly, cutting the image and freezing it, not letting me see anything.

If I install the proprietary driver then there is no problem, but I would not have to do it, since my graphic, a GeForce GT 440, worked well this past summer and does not give me any problems in other installations, from Debian Manjaro.

Will I have to resign to use the proprietary driver?

Thank you very much already, and happy to be with you again.

A hug to everyone.

• So if i do understand you right, you do not want to use proprietary nvidia drivers?

What you can try is do make use of the nouveau modsetting driver directly from kernel:

sudo pacman -R xf86-video-nouveau

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Add nouveau to the modules:

# vim:set ft=sh
    # MODULES
    # The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
    # run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
    # in this array.  For instance:
    #     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
    MODULES="nouveau"

save with [Ctrl+X]

Rebuild images:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

depending on the kernel you are using may you need to replace linux with linux-lts…

• Thanks, I’ll try it.

Actually, it is not that I do not want to use the proprietary drivers, it is that I always try to use as a first option those programs or applications that are free software and, if there is no other choice, to use the privative option.

What is strange is that this same team just 6 months ago worked with Antergos kde without problems with free drivers.

• @JuanBellas
    What does command

nvidia-installer -t

show now? Does it show different drivers than before?

And some general ideas to try:

• test if dkms versions of the graphics drivers work better (needs several *-dkms versions of nvidia and kernel packages, and kernel headers)
    • use another kernel (linux-lts vs. linux)
nvidia154 nouveau19 kde-plasma4 Posts 4Views 123
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.