• Cannot get to de or dm after installing nvidia proprietary drivers.

Hello there!

I installed a fresh copy of antergos onto my system. After updating the system and having the lts package installed as a fallback, I tried to install the nvidia proprietary drivers on my system. After rebooting, antergos is not getting to the lightdm manager, instead having a solid black screen with a solid cursor on the top left hand corner. I can switch into tty2, and can login to a text command line prompt there. I have in other installations tried using lts drivers with the lts kernel and nvidia dkms drivers with linux-hardened to see if there was any cahnges, all ending on similar results. Attached are logs in the current system (recent kernel and with nvidia drivers) from the system, x logs, and lightdm logs. If I need to pull anymore logs, I can find them for attachment. Thanks for your assistance!

edit: to clarify graphics cards I have two gtx 980ti’s in the system as graphics cards

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13d_sq6HFr5Zd6xt3_S4TULk58NapGzPr/view?usp=sharing
    (logs zip with journal, xorg (old and recent), lightdm logs (old and recent)

• I have been using the antergos nvidia installer to install the drivers and have it configure the x11 configuration file. While I can revert to nouveau drivers with the installer and boot fine to the desktop, once the proprietary drivers are installed again the issue is replicated again as in the original post.

• do you use gnome as desktop try to switch to another DM like gdm for gnome , or another greeter like gtk-greeter for lightdm but you have to add # infront of lightdm-webkit2-greeter in the user-session … it select automatical lightdm-gtk-greeter if no user-session is selected…

• changing dms to gdm actually made it worse. After switching to gdm service and disabling lightdm, installing nvidia drivers ended in the same black screen issue with no login screen available.Rremoving and switching back to nouveau under gdm continues to exhibit the same issues of a black screen with a cursor, only that this cursor is blinking. Attempting to switch back to lightdm and rebooting is now also with a black screen a blinking cursor after booting kernel.

• @Knight-Chaos strange issue… i can see nouveau-dri is segfaulting in the journal you provided in initial post too…

I see also other users having problems with nvidia and blackscreens… seems to effect only to some cards as i do run different nvidia cards here without a little issue…

It is possible to make use of nouveau driver (modsetting kernel driver) without the package xf86-video-nouveau directly from kernel itself like written here:

https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/xfce/getting-xfce4-tearfree-with-nouveau-on-nvidia-graphics/

sudo pacman -R xf86-video-nouveau 
    sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Add nouveau to the modules:

# vim:set ft=sh
    # MODULES
    # The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
    # run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
    # in this array.  For instance:
    #     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
    MODULES="nouveau"

save with [Ctrl+X]
    Rebuild images:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

depending on the kernel you are using may you need to replace linux with linux-lts

• @joekamprad I have tried the above suggestion and have the nvidia drivers removed (only nouveau in the way instructed in your post.). Unfortunately it continues to lead me to black screen with cursor. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zEIL_2aLzdY9XqyUDbJaCq8x3GM5uSC1/view?usp=sharing here is a link with a second dump of logs involving new lightdm, journals, seat-0 gretter logs, x-0, x session-errors, and x-org logs to see if there was something I’m missing from the puzzle. If there are anymore logs I neeed to provide, I’ll gladly provide them.

• looks to me like you are not completely removed nvidia:

Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
    Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
    Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
    Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 238
    Dec 29 14:15:28 ArchChaos kernel: nvidia 0000:02:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none

check:

pacman -Qs nvidia

and remove nvidia packages or take nvidia-installer to revert to nouveau and remove xf86-video-nouveau again…

sudo nvidia-installer -n

sudo pacman -R xf86-video-nouveau 
    sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Add nouveau to the modules:

# vim:set ft=sh
    # MODULES
    # The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
    # run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
    # in this array.  For instance:
    #     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
    MODULES="nouveau"

save with [Ctrl+X]
    Rebuild images:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

• Weird… I thought I thought I got rid of it, missed something there then. Fixed it and its back to nouveau drivers and running on the desktop. Still don’t know why the proprietary drivers are not cooperating, but nouveau is better then being stuck in text mode. Thank you very much for that assistance joekamprad.

• @joekamprad So i have finally found a solution to my graphics card issue after some tinkering around. I’ve found that the main issue is that the proprietary drivers are identifying my bottom card as the primary card and as such outputting the image there, making the first card the dummy card. I don’t know how this will change when putting sli, but that occurred. The solution is changing the input cable to the second card in my case. Marking thread as solved now, and thanks for helping me fix the secondary issue of nouveau segfaulting.

• @Knight-Chaos 🤦🏽♂

edit: to clarify graphics cards I have two gtx 980ti’s in the system as graphics cards

i do not read that you have two cards installed…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Tips_and_tricks#Enabling_SLI

nvidia154 installing119 drivers52 proprietary10 Posts 11Views 209
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.