• New Brother printer

Hi,

I want to install Antergos on my main PC but I don’t find a driver in the AUR for my Brother MFC-J6530DW printer.
    How to solve this problem ?

Thanks,

Freddy

• @frebae
    I don’t really know about brother printers, but there is an AUR package brother-mfc-j5620dw that might work. If it doesn’t, it is easy to uninstall.

Also found this: https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6530dw_us_eu_as

• Have you set up Avahi & cups?

Here’s my notes to myself (I set my Canon up a few days ago and it’s the 1st time I had to set up cups etc., very interesting, all the distros I’ve used before were all set up so I didn’t know what was under the hood) and the notes are mostly from the Arch wiki, and the printer was found automatically and I chose the driverless mode, maybe yours will be the same:

1. Install the cups package.

If you intend to “print” into a PDF document, also install the cups-pdf package. By default, pdf files are stored in /var/spool/cups-pdf/$USER. The location can be changed in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf.

Enable and start org.cups.cupsd.service.

1. Network.

Avahi can be used to scan for printers on the local network. To use Avahi hostnames to connect to networked printers, set up .local hostname resolution (as below):

1. Hostname resolution.

Avahi provides local hostname resolution using a “hostname.local” naming scheme. To enable it, install the nss-mdns package and start avahi-daemon.service.

Then, edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf and change the hosts line to include mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] before resolve and dns:

hosts: ... mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns ...

Note: If you experience slowdowns in resolving .local hosts try to use mdns4_minimal instead of mdns_minimal.

Restart org.cups.cupsd.service

1. Add your username to cups admin etc:

sudo usermod -a -G sys robert

May need lp as well as sys? (Someone mentioned this and I haven’t tried it again, but sys made it work, lp did nothing)

2. Add printer with CUPS.

goto http://localhost:631

or use KDE settings or whatever DE app for printers.

• @frebae said in New Brother printer:

I want to install Antergos on my main PC but I don’t find a driver in the AUR for my Brother MFC-J6530DW printer.
    How to solve this problem ?

To put this in a nutshell, I tried to make you a PKGBUILD file that you could use with makepkg to manually compile a package that would download and install the correct drivers. Much like the AUR package that Manuel referred to. However, the lib32-libstdc++5 package was a dependency for this. lib32-libstdc++5 is in the AUR. I tried to install this pkg using paman with AUR enabled, and it failed. I then tried downloading the PKGBUILD straight from the AUR and used makepkg to build it. It also failed. In the AUR lib32-libstdc++5 is listed as orphaned.

So I have a PKGBUILD that I am reasonably sure would work if someone fixes lib32-libstdc++5 (not likely). Until then I wish you well trying to get this to work. RIght now robgriff444’s idea might be worth a try. If you figure this out, let us know how you did it. Of course, the best fix would be for Brother to get their act together and issue 64 bit drives that are not dependent on 32 bit libraries (also not likely).

• @pudge But the system will still need cups (and avahi if on a network) won’t it? So the brother printer might work by just installing cups and using driverless mode (mine didn’t need anything installing after cups and avahi were set up).

• @frebae,

I’ve got a Brother MFC8810DW multifunction machine that I use as a printer/ scanner. Here is my manual installation process that I used last with my Antergos set-up. You may need to make some modifications, but the basic process has worked fine for me without 32 bit driver issues (at least so far). Maybe others can weigh-in to better refine the process for us both. Hope it helps:

Pre-install: ghostscript, foomatic-db, foomatic-db-ppds, foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-db-gutenprint-ppds, foomatic-db-nonfree, foomatic-db-nonfree-ppds, foomatic-filters-lprng, poppler, enscript.

See, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS/Printer-specific_problems, modified below based upon experience.

Go to the Brother website and download the rpm driver packages for your printer.

Install the rpmextract package, and extract both rpm packages using rpmextract.sh. Extracting both files will create an etc, opt, and var directory - copy the contents of all directories into the corresponding root level directories.

Run the cups wrapper file in /opt/brother/Printers/MFC8810DW(replace your printer here)/cupswrapper/. This should automatically install and configure your brother printer [not sure I did this right, but this process still worked]. Run cups from browser at localhost:631; use the ppd file at /opt/brother/Printers/MFC8810DW(replace your printer here)/cupswrapper/.

Then, cp /opt/brother/Printers/MFC8810DW(replace your printer here)/cupswrapper/brother_lpdwrapper_MFC8810DW(replace your printer here) /usr/lib/cups/filter/.

Reboot; localhost:631 to configure printer defaults, user access, test, set server default etc. [Alternatively, you can use graphical Printers utility to set printer defaults.]

And, then, for Scanner Setup:

Install brscan4 from AUR

Install simple-scan (or another preferred scanner program) from Community Repository.

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-brscan4.rules change all MODE=“0664” to “0666”

Restart the computer for these udev/rules.d changes to take effect.

Post back and let us know if this worked for you!

Best,

Barry

• @robgriff444 said in New Brother printer:

@pudge But the system will still need cups (and avahi if on a network) won’t it? So the brother printer might work by just installing cups and using driverless mode (mine didn’t need anything installing after cups and avahi were set up).

this is what the PKGBUILD listed as dependencies
    depends=(‘lib32-glibc’ ‘lib32-libstdc++5’ ‘cups>=2.1.2’ ‘ghostscript’ )

I have Gnome as my desktop, so avahi was installed by default. I assume avahi would be necessary for a network printer if not installed already.

I have a Brother DLP-L2550DW and it didn’t work in the driverless mode, but the MFC-J6530DW the OP has might work. The only way I got my printer to work was to write a PKGBUILD for it, then use pacman -U to install the package.

• @pudge said in New Brother printer:

The only way I got my printer to work was to write a PKGBUILD for it, then use pacman -U to install the package.

That’s the archway to get the driver installed.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Packaging_Brother_printer_drivers

• @frebae
    Read at your own risk: This post is rather long and may or may not be interesting for some users. I included it because it might help some other Brother printer user to see the process I used and help them in the future.

frebae let me know if you want to try installing the package as mentioned at the end of this post.

Here is how I came up with a PKGBUILD. The OP’s printer MFC-J6530DW user’s manual lists five different models that the manual is written for. So these models are pretty compatible. I looked in the AUR and one of the models listed (MFC-J6930DW) was in the AUR. So I copied the PKGBUILD for the J6930 and revised it for the OP’s J6530 and came up with this.

# Maintainer:
    pkgname="brother-mfc-j6530dw"
    pkgver="1.0.1"
    pkgrel="0"
    pkgdesc="Brother MFC-J6530DW CUPS driver."
    url="http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6530dw_us_eu_as"
    license=('GPL')
    arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
    depends=('lib32-glibc'  'lib32-libstdc++5'  'cups>=2.1.2' 'ghostscript' ) 
    source=(
       "http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf103007/mfcj6530dwlpr-1.0.1-0.i386.rpm"
       "http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf103031/mfcj6530dwcupswrapper-1.0.1-0.i386.rpm"
    )
    md5sums=('51a985d64540af2e0df6343513eb72a6'
             '0f183df0e9e183d56f51fd3ae4a13299')

package() {
       mkdir -p "$pkgdir/usr/share/cups/model/"
       mkdir -p "$pkgdir/usr/lib/cups/filter/"

ln -s "/opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6530dw/cupswrapper/brother_mfcj6530dw_printer_en.ppd" "$pkgdir/usr/share/cups/model/brother_mfcj6530dw_printer_en.ppd"
       ln -s "/opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6530dw/cupswrapper/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj6530dw"  "$pkgdir/usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj6530dw"
       cp -r "$srcdir/opt/" "$pkgdir/opt/"
    }

Basically this PKGBUILD does what bkaplan did manually. Download the RPMs, unpack the RPMs, then creates the commands to:
    make the appropriate directories for the drivers, create a couple of symbolic links, copy the drivers to the appropriate directories and create the pacman package brother-mfc-j6530dw-1.0.1-0-x86_64.pkg.tar
    which is installed using pacman -U

All is fine except for the lib32-libstdc++5 dependency. I can’t fulfill that dependency because it’s in the AUR and the PKGBUILD is broken and the package has been orphaned. I did remove the lib32-libstdc++5 dependency from the PGKBUILD and makepkg PGKBUILD worked fine.

According to these comments on the AUR page (read from the bottom up)

lepokle commented on 2018-01-10 20:19
         Sure it is. I've updated the package. Thank you!
    malcolmrg commented on 2018-01-10 01:36
          My mfc-j6930dw would not print until I also installed lib32-libstdc++5. It  may be worth including this as a dependency

This tells me that lib32-libstdc++5 is not necessary for the making of the PKGBUILD but is a necessary dependency of the J6930 Brother driver itself. Does the OP’s J6530 driver require this lib? It might, it might not. I don’t have this printer so I cannot test this.

So here is where this is at. frebae can either follow bkaplan’s manual installation, or I can make the brother-mfc-j6530dw-1.0.1-0-x86_64.pkg.tar package I built available to frebae to install using pacman -U. Either way, if the OP’s MFC-J6530DW driver itself requires lib32-libstdc++5 the OP is stuck until someone fixes lib32-libstdc++5 in the AUR (not likely). If the J6530 does not require the lib32-libstdc++5 then the OP is home free.

• @joekamprad said in New Brother printer:

@pudge said in New Brother printer:

The only way I got my printer to work was to write a PKGBUILD for it, then use pacman -U to install the package.

That’s the archway to get the driver installed.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Packaging_Brother_printer_drivers

Yup, I started using Arch Linux with Gnome in late 2005, and I learned a ton of stuff along the way. Especially when Arch started converting to systemctl (systemd). Started using Antergos because the “Arch Way” just isn’t fun anymore! I’m getting too old for that bs. I’ll leave that to you and the Antergos devs. And thank you for all your efforts with that.

MFC-J6530DW

may this one for a version prior your one works:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-mfc-j6520dw/

• @pudge

Yes of course I want to use this package.
    How can I get it, is it in the AUR or where can I find it ?

Many thanks for creating this package.

Freddy

• @frebae

You are the guinea pig for this. I still don’t know if your printer will work without the lib32-libstdc++5 package, which is still broken as of this morning. At least with my hardware setup (AMD FM2+ socket based). You might want to try and install lib32-libstdc++5 on your device with paman with the AUR option enabled. It might work for you. Also, not knowing if you are familiar with CUPS, I went heavy on the instructions. My apologies for that if you are familiar with CUPS.

I put the package on my personal Web Server. Download the pkg here:
    pudges-place.ddns.net/AntergosServer/brother-mfc-j6530dw-1.0.1-0-x86_64.pkg.tar
    Then move the pkg from /home/username/Downloads to an empty directory of your choice, such as home/username/Temp
    Open a terminal window and navigate to the directory containing the pkg
    Then install using pacman -U

Link removed 1/1/2019 - Pudge

Now open a browser and go to
    localhost:631
    to open up CUPS
    Click on “Administration” then “Add Printer” and when it asks for a password, enter the word “root” then root’s password. If avahi is installed and running, your printer should be listed. Select your printer from “Discovered Network Printers” or if it is not listed select “Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)” for this you will need to know the printer’s IP address. When it asks for a driver, try the preferred “Brother MFCJ6530 for CUPS (en)” Follow the remaining instructions. Just to be safe, reboot. Reopen CUPS in a browser. Click on “Administration” “Manage Printers” select your printer, go to the “Maintenance” tab and “Print test page”.

Here is where Brother printers gets iffy on Linux. If it doesn’t work, try different combinations of “Discovered Network Printers” and “Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)” with the different drivers combinations. One combination or another should work.

When you get the printer working, go to paman with the AUR access option enabled, and search for “brscan4” and install it. If it isn’t already installed, install “Simple Scan”. Some brother printers have an option where you can send a scan to your computer with a Gimp window open, and it will scan the document/image straight to Gimp. To enable this, install “brscan-skey”.

I hope this gets you going. I like Brother mono laser multi function printers, they just work great for me. But I know the frustration of getting them to work with Arch/Antergos.

• @pudge said in New Brother printer:

You are the guinea pig for this

https://youtu.be/OEbraNu7uU4

• @joekamprad said in New Brother printer:

@pudge said in New Brother printer:

You are the guinea pig for this

https://youtu.be/OEbraNu7uU4

Very Cute. You are right. Just like the guinea pig, Freddy just might be jumping through hoops to get this working. ☺
    Hopefully not.

• @pudge

Hi,

It was possible to install my printer but scanning is a problem.
    I keep learning untill I find a solution.

Thanks for your help

Freddy

@pudge

Hi,
    It was possible to install my printer but scanning is a problem.
    I keep learning untill I find a solution.

Thanks for your help

You are very welcome my friend.

• @frebae

Sorry Freddy, I forgot to tell you how to initialize the scanner

sudo brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=MFCJ6530DW ip=192.168.0.xxx

For simple document scans to a pdf, “Simple Scan” works well.
    For more advanced scanning features, there is “xsane”.

When you are done with this, let me know and I will remove the pkg.tar file from my web server, as it is not really the place for it.

Make a copy of the pkg.tar on a USB thumb drive for future use along with text file with notes on what you did to get this working,

• @pudge

Hi,

I installed everything on a laptop and it works very well, so I can install it now on my main desktop.
    I have been looking to many distro’s but hope that I make a good choice by selecting Antergos and gnome as a desktop environment.
    After working with DOS and Window sinds 1985 and as a software developer for almost 30 years it is a new world that opens for me.

Thank you for all the help you give me and all the best and a good health for the new year.

Freddy

@pudge
    I installed everything on a laptop and it works very well, so I can install it now on my main desktop.>

I worked for AT&T for 34 yrs and started using Unix at work in 1975. After many years, I also think that a test computer and a main computer is the best way to go. Saves a lot of frustration.

I have been looking to many distro’s but hope that I make a good choice by selecting Antergos and gnome as a desktop environment. After working with DOS and Window since 1985 and as a software developer for almost 30 years it is a new world that opens for me.

Antergos has had it’s growing pains, but is now becoming a more mature distribution and I think it will serve you well. One concern is that Antergos/Arch is a rolling distribution. That can be both good and bad. The bad is updates sometimes break things. Sticking to your test computer / main computer methodology and doing updates first on the test computer can help with that.

Thank you for all the help you give me and all the best and a good health for the new year.

Freddy

You are welcome my friend.

printer49 brother18 Posts 20Views 416
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.