• Switched to KDE Plasma

Hi guys and gals,

Recently back to an Antergos install on hardware. This time around I’ve chosen Plasma as the DE. You know, I doubt there’s a very big audience that knows just how RAM light, responsive and asthetically simplified this spin of Plasma is. In fact, I’ve recently tried KDE Plasma and Manjaro KDE. Antergos KDE is very similar to KDE Neon in OOTB low bloat, but lighter on resources with the Arch base.

The installer is simple and worked flawlessly. One thing is for sure, I’m always impressed with Antergos.

Let’s get the word out to the podcasts. The project has earned the right for more attention than it receives.

Thanks guys!
    GM

• @GreenMartian said in Switched to KDE Plasma:

The project has earned the right for more attention than it receives.

that’s true 👍

• I’ve been a long time KDE user, circa 20 years and it is only with Antergos KDE that I have found RAM usage is low, that I now use it on the laptop. The UI is also subjectively quicker.
    I also run KDE on Kubuntu (18.10) and openSuse and those distros are not quite lightweight and seem slower.
    I give credit to the Arch and Antergos devs for this achievement.

• @GreenMartian I’ve used both Manjaro and Antergos Plasma DE’s, and love 'em to bits.

I recently came back to Antergos, and shall be staying for sure. It’s a tade lighter than Manjaro on RAM usage(not that it’s a real problem with 8GB on hand…) and a bit more responsive. And updates have been headache free, as well, which is a definite plus. Kudos to the developpers there!

And, last but not least, The Community is easy-going and very helpful going from my past experience here.

• @frenchconnection

Right, it’s a small but friendly and patient community.

Like alot of people, I jump around a little bit but when I return to Antergos it always feels like a good place to call home again. 🤖

Occasionally, you may run into an installer bug but they’re fixed very quickly.

• @GreenMartian Yep, installation can make or break it at times but with a little patience things work out 👍

• Can’t really see a difference between my AntergOS KDE install vs my Manjaro KDE install when looking at ram or resource usages.

Manjaro has a better theme on their KDE and few of their hardware apps are also very nicely done and helpful.

• @inffy Installation has been a headache at times as concerns Antergos, although things will imprive as time goes by - the devs here are very reactive - whereas it’s simpler with Manjaro IMO. It’s a big stumbling block for many. So, that’s a major difference, although you have to experience it to understand. That hasn’t stopped me coming back here, of course. Goes to show.😉

RAM usage creeps up very slowly but surely with Manjaro KDE albeit I say it’s pittance compared to other DE’s. It’s more noteable after long periods of activity, and coming out of short/long sleep mod. That’s my experience…and using both the 4.14 & 4.19 LTS kernels notwithstanding former kernels some of which were non-LTS.

We could say it’s the (slight)price to pay for a full-blown distro that’s easilly as good as Linux Mint in its own fashion, but in rolling mod. 😊

I agreed: theming on Manjaro is top-notch especially per see KDE Plasma, Antergos is slightly more “vanilla” or “haiku” in comparison. But, then, Antergos is also closer to Arch, and updates are more regular in consequence. You get ‘em once a week more or less with Manjaro depending upon the devs’ activity.

Manjaro apps are indeed impressive, and its Community is great. There are rarely problems. Things are a bit more scaled-down with Antergos, but everyone here has been pretty cool: if you’re up the proverbial river without a paddle someone will always try to get you out of your sticky patch.

That’s my 2 cents.

• @frenchconnection said in Switched to KDE Plasma:

@inffy Installation has been a headache at times as concerns Antergos, although things will imprive as time goes by - the devs here are very reactive - whereas it’s simpler with Manjaro IMO. It’s a big stumbling block for many. So, that’s a major difference, although you have to experience it to understand. That hasn’t stopped me coming back here, of course. Goes to show.😉

RAM usage creeps up very slowly but surely with Manjaro KDE albeit I say it’s pittance compared to other DE’s. It’s more noteable after long periods of activity, and coming out of short/long sleep mod. That’s my experience…and using both the 4.14 & 4.19 LTS kernels notwithstanding former kernels some of which were non-LTS.

We could say it’s the (slight)price to pay for a full-blown distro that’s easilly as good as Linux Mint in its own fashion, but in rolling mod. 😊

I agreed: theming on Manjaro is top-notch especially per see KDE Plasma, Antergos is slightly more “vanilla” or “haiku” in comparison. But, then, Antergos is also closer to Arch, and updates are more regular in consequence. You get ‘em once a week more or less with Manjaro depending upon the devs’ activity.

Manjaro apps are indeed impressive, and its Community is great. There are rarely problems. Things are a bit more scaled-down with Antergos, but everyone here has been pretty cool: if you’re up the proverbial river without a paddle someone will always try to get you out of your sticky patch.

That’s my 2 cents.

Yep can agree with that. I mostly use the Manjaro Architecht installer (non-graphical) which works little bit the same way as the Cnchi installer (downloads packages from the net).

kde195 plasma46 switched4 Posts 9Views 542
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.