• Harddrive antics...

New to the distribution, installed it this morning, but I’m scratching my head over slightly elderly hardware. Specifically a mechanical harddrive (HDD) in a laptop I bought in 2008/09. During partitioning (yes, I eventually read the workaround for Grub on GPT - THAT’S all good now) I kept getting errors and implications that the backup GPT was corrupt. I could tinker around with partitions #1 and #2, but #3 just wouldn’t play nice without significant effort. (Meaning I had to wipe the whole
    Now, I know laptops are hardly designed for optimal airflow, but still. I have older harddrives in my desktop PC that have seen much more abuse, though - one even ran A-OK for about 5 years with X-Plane on it and a somewhat serious SMART notice - so considering how little I actually use the laptop I have no idea at all of what’s going on. Is this something I need to be worried about in the immediate future?

Installer version… Was I using Cnchi 0.6.12, maybe? I downloaded the image yesterday, so it should at least not be too old.

• New to the distribution, installed it this morning, but I’m scratching my head over slightly elderly hardware. Specifically a mechanical harddrive (HDD) in a laptop I bought in 2008/09. During partitioning (yes, I eventually read the workaround for Grub on GPT - THAT’S all good now) I kept getting errors and implications that the backup GPT was corrupt. I could tinker around with partitions #1 and #2, but #3 just wouldn’t play nice without significant effort. (Meaning I had to wipe the whole
    Now, I know laptops are hardly designed for optimal airflow, but still. I have older harddrives in my desktop PC that have seen much more abuse, though - one even ran A-OK for about 5 years with X-Plane on it and a somewhat serious SMART notice - so considering how little I actually use the laptop I have no idea at all of what’s going on. Is this something I need to be worried about in the immediate future?

Installer version… Was I using Cnchi 0.6.12, maybe? I downloaded the image yesterday, so it should at least not be too old.

• Hi,

Try this:

@"[url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/386752/fixing-corrupt-backup-gpt-table:3f8v10i9 said:

Ask Ubuntu[/url:3f8v10i9]":3f8v10i9]Use gdisk and verify partitions are correct with p, and use w to write the partition table. If not correct just use q to quit. That should update primary, backup & protective MBR.[/quote:3f8v10i9]

Cheers!

• Hm, I tried [b:2lcl8apx]f[/b:2lcl8apx]disk instead.

(And a few eclamation marks, I suppose, for formality’s sake. So far there’s been no strange behaviour, although I haven’t used the system a lot yet. Still, this is a rolling release based on Arch, so with me behind the controls that’s a really good thing.)

• That is strange. Could you post the output here? I’d like to take a look

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Coming right up:

Disk /dev/sda: 111,8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors  
    Units: sectors of 1 \* 512 = 512 bytes  
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    Disklabel type: gpt  
    Disk identifier: 76BFB211-0805-4D52-96AE-D21455A99139  

Device Start End Sectors Size Type  
    /dev/sda1 2048 34224127 34222080 16,3G EFI System  
    /dev/sda2 34230272 38635519 4405248 2,1G Linux swap  
    /dev/sda3 38635520 234440703 195805184 93,4G Microsoft basic data  
    /dev/sda4 34224128 34230271 6144 3M BIOS boot  

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

GParted reports the following (listed in disk order, presumably):
    /dev/sda1 - ext 4 (mount: /) Flags: boot, esp
    /dev/sda4 - unknown Flags: bios_grub
    /dev/sda2 - linux-swap
    /dev/sda3 - ext4 (mount: /home) Flags: msftdata

Is it relevant that there’s a 40 Gb shadow partition (rescue stuff) on this disk? (Showing as 120 Gb, would otherwise be 160 Gb.) It’s all covered in Vista Home Premium 32-bit, though… Also, there’s no EFI anywhere - this laptop is old enough for the usual BIOS.

Posts 6Views 1610
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.