• Harddrive antics...

New to the distribution, installed it this morning, but I’m scratching my head over slightly elderly hardware. Specifically a mechanical harddrive (HDD) in a laptop I bought in 2008/09. During partitioning (yes, I eventually read the workaround for Grub on GPT - THAT’S all good now) I kept getting errors and implications that the backup GPT was corrupt. I could tinker around with partitions #1 and #2, but #3 just wouldn’t play nice without significant effort. (Meaning I had to wipe the whole
    Now, I know laptops are hardly designed for optimal airflow, but still. I have older harddrives in my desktop PC that have seen much more abuse, though - one even ran A-OK for about 5 years with X-Plane on it and a somewhat serious SMART notice - so considering how little I actually use the laptop I have no idea at all of what’s going on. Is this something I need to be worried about in the immediate future?

Installer version… Was I using Cnchi 0.6.12, maybe? I downloaded the image yesterday, so it should at least not be too old.

• New to the distribution, installed it this morning, but I’m scratching my head over slightly elderly hardware. Specifically a mechanical harddrive (HDD) in a laptop I bought in 2008/09. During partitioning (yes, I eventually read the workaround for Grub on GPT - THAT’S all good now) I kept getting errors and implications that the backup GPT was corrupt. I could tinker around with partitions #1 and #2, but #3 just wouldn’t play nice without significant effort. (Meaning I had to wipe the whole
    Now, I know laptops are hardly designed for optimal airflow, but still. I have older harddrives in my desktop PC that have seen much more abuse, though - one even ran A-OK for about 5 years with X-Plane on it and a somewhat serious SMART notice - so considering how little I actually use the laptop I have no idea at all of what’s going on. Is this something I need to be worried about in the immediate future?

Installer version… Was I using Cnchi 0.6.12, maybe? I downloaded the image yesterday, so it should at least not be too old.

• Hi,

Try this:

@"[url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/386752/fixing-corrupt-backup-gpt-table:3f8v10i9 said:

Ask Ubuntu[/url:3f8v10i9]":3f8v10i9]Use gdisk and verify partitions are correct with p, and use w to write the partition table. If not correct just use q to quit. That should update primary, backup & protective MBR.[/quote:3f8v10i9]

Cheers!

• Hm, I tried [b:2lcl8apx]f[/b:2lcl8apx]disk instead.

(And a few eclamation marks, I suppose, for formality’s sake. So far there’s been no strange behaviour, although I haven’t used the system a lot yet. Still, this is a rolling release based on Arch, so with me behind the controls that’s a really good thing.)

• That is strange. Could you post the output here? I’d like to take a look

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Coming right up:

Disk /dev/sda: 111,8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors  
    Units: sectors of 1 \* 512 = 512 bytes  
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    Disklabel type: gpt  
    Disk identifier: 76BFB211-0805-4D52-96AE-D21455A99139  

Device Start End Sectors Size Type  
    /dev/sda1 2048 34224127 34222080 16,3G EFI System  
    /dev/sda2 34230272 38635519 4405248 2,1G Linux swap  
    /dev/sda3 38635520 234440703 195805184 93,4G Microsoft basic data  
    /dev/sda4 34224128 34230271 6144 3M BIOS boot  

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

GParted reports the following (listed in disk order, presumably):
    /dev/sda1 - ext 4 (mount: /) Flags: boot, esp
    /dev/sda4 - unknown Flags: bios_grub
    /dev/sda2 - linux-swap
    /dev/sda3 - ext4 (mount: /home) Flags: msftdata

Is it relevant that there’s a 40 Gb shadow partition (rescue stuff) on this disk? (Showing as 120 Gb, would otherwise be 160 Gb.) It’s all covered in Vista Home Premium 32-bit, though… Also, there’s no EFI anywhere - this laptop is old enough for the usual BIOS.

Posts 6Views 1126