• Create a live-usb with persistent storage

Hi guys,

So, I have a 16gb usb and what i want to achieve is putting the Antergos live-iso on a first partition with 3gbs or so (obviously, i want this partition to be bootable) and then have a second partition for files with the remaining 12gbs or so (and make this partition readable by windows).

I seem to recall discussions of persistent storage on live usbs, but all material I’ve found is either ubuntu-specific or wildly outdated. I also found a forum post in which someone wanted to actually install Antergos to a usb while keeping persistent storage around as well (but this is not exactly what I’m trying to do; I’m trying to have the live-usb alongside persistent storage).

Is this possible?

• It is possible, but you have to use the second partion for the bootable live USB, instead of the first one.

• Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you need to have another drive as the persistent storage. The installer is written to a drive basically with dd, so it overwrites the partition table of the stick. So the installer drive cannot have other partitions.
    But the cnchi installer supports saving packages on a partition on another drive, like another USB stick partition. This may be helpful e.g. if you are installing to many machines in a row.

• @PunkCapitalist @manuel
    My apologies for the late reply here I give you the full instruction to get this done.

• Install multibootusb-git in the AUR
    • Make two partitions with Gparted on the USB key in fat32 (or ext4 if you want)
    • Start up multibootusb and select the first or second partition. (On my previous system the second partition only worked with /boot, but on the machines I have now the first partition also works. (My previous one, when I tried it was an old Macbook Pro from 2006, it died last year)

Now you’re good to go, you can even put another ISO on it or use the other partition as storage.

• @Bryanpwo
    Have you tried multibootusb-git with Antergos?
    On their page they say about the persistence file:

Only distros based on Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian are supported.

• @manuel
    The default persistent storage doesn’t work, but if you divide the USB flashdrive manually with Gparted and follow my earlier description, it will work. I reinstalled Antergos from a usb flashdrive this afternoon on one of my machines, just to test it out.

• @Bryanpwo
    OK, thanks for the confirmation. So their advice about supported distros is outdated.

Actually, before seeing your answer, I also tested these instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media#Using_manual_formatting
    and got it working. It was quite easy, the only Antergos specific thing to do is to create the label for the stick’s installer partition, it must be ANTERGOS. That can be done e.g. with gparted while creating the partitions inside the USB stick.

• @manuel
    No, it’s not outdated, what I’ve done is made two partitions and one of them you’ll choose to install the Antergos ISO on. When it’s done, then the machine will recognize the boot partition and leave the other partiton alone, so you can store data on it.

• @Bryanpwo
    Great, thanks!

• @Bryanpwo said in Create a live-usb with persistent storage:

@PunkCapitalist @manuel
    My apologies for the late reply here I give you the full instruction to get this done.

• Make two partitions with Gparted on the USB key in fat32 (or ext4 if you want)
    • Start up multibootusb and select the first or second partition. (On my previous system the second partition only worked with /boot, but on the machines I have now the first partition also works. (My previous one, when I tried it was an old Macbook Pro from 2006, it died last year)

Now you’re good to go, you can even put another ISO on it or use the other partition as storage.

Sounds extremely easy. I always though I would have to dwell on partition labels and manual installation of bootloaders and such. Thanks, i’ll give it a try and report solved once I confirm it!

• @PunkCapitalist said in Create a live-usb with persistent storage:

@Bryanpwo said in Create a live-usb with persistent storage:

@PunkCapitalist @manuel

Sounds extremely easy. I always though I would have to dwell on partition labels and manual installation of bootloaders and such. Thanks, i’ll give it a try and report solved once I confirm it!

Didn’t think this would be so easy. Most guides available take much longer and harder roads, thus making it seem more difficult than it actually is.

Couldn’t get multibootusb working on Antergos due to problems when executing, but the windows version works just fine. Did as Bryanpwo said; used gparted to create the necessary partitions and then multibootusb on windows to put Antergos on the first one. All good.

Thanks!

• For future reference: multibootusb-git works on Antergos, forgot to mention that.

storage4 live-usb4 persistent2 Posts 12Views 146
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.