• Why second user after the installation is not included in the sudoer?

Unlike Manjaro, where the new user will be a sudoers member. What causes this issue?

• how do you create the new user then?

• @joekamprad I created the secon user with KDE user manager tool, but I could have created in terminal as well, then the same thing would happen.

• yes right… Antergos is using /etc/sudoers.d/10-installer

But the usermanagers from DE are all different… would be a solution to use sudoers group or wheel here…
    May @developers can clearify this ?

• @joekamprad In my experience, when using Antergos, the new user will be added to the wheel group after creating it, but in the sudoers file, the wheel group is not enabled to run any command with root privileges versus Manjaro. In Ubuntu, for example, the new user will be included in the sudo group by default, and Antergos does not have such a predefined group. I wanted to know the reason for this default setting, whether it was conscious or just a coincidence.

How can this issue be forwarded to the development team?

• @zoli62 said in Why second user after the installation is not included in the sudoer?:

i do already by @developers tagging

• @joekamprad said in Why second user after the installation is not included in the sudoer?:

@zoli62 said in Why second user after the installation is not included in the sudoer?:

i do already by @developers tagging

Thanks in advance too. We will see what their position will be on this issue.

• IMHO Antergos is more correct on the grounds that administrative privileges should not be granted by default but only by explicit choice.
    I had a look at the KDE User Manager it has a tick box for Administrator privileges so should be straightforward to add to sudoers using that.
    I used visudo
    from a terminal myself.

• @BlaiseD What you have written can also be understood. This is also a philosophical question with Linux distributions as to what we allow and what not. I ticked this mentioned box, but the new user has not yet joined sudoers.

• GNOME user manager also have the choice between normal and admin user on creating, but do not adding users to sudoers, instead adding them to admin group… …

• @joekamprad This is interesting. Then there are differences, depending on the desktop surface.

• As far as i know and can see there is no such group (admin) …

• Hmm… the setup isn’t what I thought it would be…
    I haven’t run into these issues since I have been using the command line to do this like for 20 years, to grant sudo capability to individual users.

That said, on my Antergos installation, if I run visudo (AFAICT this simply edits /etc/sudoers) then the default contents only ever gives permission to root, all other lines are commented out, groups referred to in these comments are wheel and sudo.
    The first user created on the box was given sudo capbilities by adding a line to /etc/sudoers.d/10-installer.

Mine has a single line like
    username ALL=(ALL) ALL

If DE utils are adding users to groups for sudo functionality, it will not work (at least on my installation which is 9 months vintage.)

On reflection, I prefer the explicit granting of sudo capability explicitly to users rather than groups, and it is possible that a like minded developer has commented out the groups in /etc/sudoers.
    Perhaps DE utils should add user explicitly.
    As zoli62 said it is a question of philosophy ;-)

• @zoli62
    I think it is not an issue, but like @BlaiseD mentioned, a sane design choice.

Root permissions should never be used lightly. Commands su and sudo are meant for cases where root permissions are needed. Ordinary users can use those commands if they need root permissions and know the password.

And it is just convenient that the installer (i.e. the first user) gets sudo rights.

As you probably know, sudo command remembers root permissions for a while (maybe about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the default setting) after the first usage during a session.

To minimize potential issues of having root permissions because of sudo around too long time, I recommend creating another (non-sudoer) user right after the first reboot after the installation, and normally use that user. This new user is then slightly safer to use, since it may better avoid some common sudo mistakes by the user.

• I understand the philisophy behind it, if that’s the case, but sometimes certain features in a DE breaks, like I had earlier this year in my KDE setup, my favourite app section stayed blank, no matter what I did. The only solution, besides reinstall, was to create a new user. In that case this feature isn’t the most covenenient one.

• @manuel While commands are issued without command sudo, the user created at the time of installation will behave as the normal user you are referring to.

• @Bryanpwo Although the KDE interface is elegant, I have more trouble with it. The most confusing of these is the fact that sometimes, by clicking on the desktop and panel icons, nothing happens.

• @BlaiseD For example Manjaro KDE puts the user created by the user manager graphical tool by default in the wheel group, as i remember Ubuntu similar.

• In the meantime i tested Debian-based MX Linux. There is also the fact that if I create a new user, it will automatically be part of the Sudo group. Including MX is a lightweight, usable distribution.

• @zoli62 As I’ve mentioned before the decision is philosophical, I happen to agree with that particular decision, but by no means am going to claim that it is the One and only correct way to do it.
    The beauty of open source is that usually you can tweak things to get it to work the way you want to, the flip side is that when things go wrong, it really is you fault ;-)
    Anyways to get the behaviour you desire, use visudo to un-comment the line
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
    (remove the leading # ) and the system will behave the way you want it to.

installation314 second11 included3 sudoer1 Posts 21Views 333
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.