• Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?

My question is that the general Linux CLI commands in the Archwiki can be used on Antergos / Manjaro Linux as well? For example, the Pacman -Scc command is included in the Mabjaro Wiki. This can be used without alteration on Antergos Linux? The reason for my question is that the Antergos Linux Wiki is much smaller than the other two.

• All Arch wiki can be used Antergos, but all Manjaro wiki cannot used to antergos.

they have there own…

If you install pacman-contrib , you can have all pacman related scripts like checkupdates that check the updates, paccache is handy. paccache -rk1 wil remove the cache like pacman -Scc but keeps on version in the cache… if you use 2 then they keep the 2 latest version in the cache…

manjaro commands like mhwd pacman-mirrors and mhwd-kernel are manjaro related. so not to do on antergos

• @ringo32 said in Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?:

paccache

I use the pacman - Scc command on Manjaro Linux. So on Antergos Linux for example this form is not recommended?

• pacman -Scc you can do… always as you want, pacman-contrib has manjaro also.

Paccache you can save the last version of a package, incase of a update issue you can always reinstall the last package of the system from /var/cache/pacman/pkg ,

but is subjective also but keeping last package you are able to downgrade…

i think this explain more https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Cleaning_the_package_cache

also about paccache

• @zoli62
    You can/should always count on command

man pacman

(or whatever command you want to run) on your installation (whatever the OS). In Antergos, command pacman should be exactly the same as in Arch, and probably is the same in Manjaro.

But as you probably know, Manjaro has its own repos that are not exactly the same as in Arch, whereas most Antergos packages come directly from Arch repos.

• @ringo32 said in Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?:

pacman -Scc you can do… always as you want, pacman-contrib has manjaro also.

Paccache you can save the last version of a package, incase of a update issue you can always reinstall the last package of the system from /var/cache/pacman/pkg ,

but is subjective also but keeping last package you are able to downgrade…

i think this explain more https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Cleaning_the_package_cache

also about paccache

Thanks, for reply. I’ve switched from Debian-based systems to Arch. I used to say that after updating the packages, there is no apparent reduction in the free space on the system disk. For Arch-based distributions this is different. After regular package updates, the free space on the disc is continuously reduced. Because I do not need to keep previous versions of packages, i use the above command.
    I do not know who your opinion is about this. I think this is just a philosophical question, which we have a lot of talk about in Linux circles.

• @zoli62
    Use paccache:

man paccache

Useful options for the -r (remove) operation are at least -k (how many versions to keep) and -u (to remove uninstalled packages).

Examples:

sudo paccache -r -k 1  # keep only the latest version of any package
    sudo paccache -r -k 0 -u  # delete all uninstalled packages

The packages are stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.
    You may see the total size of them with

du -hd 1 /var/cache/pacman/pkg

• @manuel said in Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?:

@zoli62
    You can/should always count on command

man pacman

(or whatever command you want to run) on your installation (whatever the OS). In Antergos, command pacman should be exactly the same as in Arch, and probably is the same in Manjaro.

But as you probably know, Manjaro has its own repos that are not exactly the same as in Arch, whereas most Antergos packages come directly from Arch repos.

Thanks, i know. Because of these arguments, i turned from Debian to Manjaro and then to Antergos. Although I use Linux Mint at the same time. I noticed the difference between the two Arch-based distributions. While Manjaro is much more for beginners, Antergos is more comfortable but at least as easy to use as the former, while giving the more advanced users the freedom…

• @manuel said in Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?:

@zoli62
    Use paccache:

man paccache

Useful options for the -r (remove) operation are at least -k (how many versions to keep) and -u (to remove uninstalled packages).

Examples:

Thanks. I find that in this special case paccache requires much less prudence than the pacman. I would say that while the former is more like for average/beginner users, the latter is far more useful to the more advanced users. Am I correct?

• Manjaro is designed for beginners, but reality depend on the person it self. Linux mint / ubuntu is beginners friendly but mostly is subjective also , when people get in trouble is always hard to solve until you understand to solve and maintain it on a level :)

paccache is nice, cache does need to be clear at al always handy also easier and keep some jobs seporated also, like if you use yay as aur helper, dont update your system with it.

just use pacman, never know what happend, use aur update with yay only for aur…

yay -Qua look for update
    yay -Syua for update aur packages

Personal i like to seporate the jobs :)

• @zoli62 said in Can commands be used on Manjaro/Antergos Linux like Arch Linux?:

Am I correct?

The tools are for quite different purposes. But it is a matter of taste I guess. I prefer a pragmatic approach and use the tool I’m familiar with. :)

• @manuel This is the advantage and disadvantage of Linux, too, that most things are a matter of taste, that is, those who are not looking for ready solutions but are thinking creatively.

@zoli62
    Use paccache:

man paccache

Examples:

I’ve been testing a few commands. Paccache -r -k 1 did not work and gave me an error message. By contrast, the pacman worked flawlessly.

• @zoli62
    What was the error message?
    Have you installed package pacman-contrib?

Have you tried

paccache -r -k 1

instead of

Paccache -r -k 1

;)

• After paccache - r -k 1 i got: no candidate packages found for pruning.

• if you empty the cache wont work :)

but can handle like this :

paccache -rk1

or

paccache -ruk1

the u removed uninstalled packages

to check would by like to dryrun it :

paccache -d

• @ringo32 I tried to run the pacman -rk1 command, the error message was the same.

• well…

its not a error message…

i recently did this sudo paccache -ruk1

now second time :

[email protected] ~ % sudo paccache -ruk1                    
    [sudo] wachtwoord voor ringo: 
    ==> no candidate packages found for pruning
    [email protected] ~ %

just means cache is empty or you have already 1 version stored so it does not remove that

if i do this : sudo paccache -rk0

[email protected] ~ % sudo paccache -rk0 
    [sudo] wachtwoord voor ringo: 

==> finished: 2484 packages removed (disk space saved: 9.96 GiB)
    [email protected] ~ %

removed another in the cache of pacman.

its not a error message

• That is why I like to use the pacman -Scc command because it will also delete the cache if only one version is stored. Although the switch rk0 can be used for the paccache command. I will try this as well thanks.

• you dont need to empty out the bucket :) if you do sudo paccache -ruk1 , it keep the last version that is installed, when you update your system you run intoo something, you can downgrade infact and fix when needed…

that way you keep your cache streamlined, or you take downgrade from aur, then is possible to downgrade offcourse…

arch45 commands4 manjaroantergos1 Posts 23Views 318
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.