• An Issue with USB port

Hello everyone
    How are you?

I have been facing an issue with my USB for a few days, and I couldn’t find a solution.
    My laptop for some reason most of the time doesn’t detect any USB device! sometimes after a reboot, it works fine; however, most of the time it doesn’t even if I restart my laptop!

And always when it won’t work, I know that before I log in because I receive this message

xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0 can’t setup: -110
    xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: init 0000:00:14.0 fail, -110

my kernel
    4.19.2-arch1-1-ARCH

also, I have tried the lts

• Experienced the same problem today trying to tranfer some books to my ereader.

• @Mr-MoMo said in An Issue with USB port:

xhci_hcd

so looks like an issue with usb3 ?

what gives:
    lsusb -t ?

• @joekamprad thank you for your response!

Actually, even USB 2 doesn’t work!

/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/8p, 480M
    /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/6p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Wireless, Driver=btusb, 12M

• @Mr-MoMo output looks normal to me…

do you have linux-firmware and linux-headers installed?

• @joekamprad

Yes, I do have them installed. Is there any command to reinstall them? maybe it will help

• @Mr-MoMo
    Yes:

sudo pacman -S linux-firmware linux-headers

• @manuel thanks i was unable to post a reply as i was on the road and mobile browser sucks…

• @joekamprad
    You’re welcome! :)

• @manuel Thank you for your response!

unfortunately, it didn’t help to solve the issue.

• @Mr-MoMo
    It might be a hardware failure, especially if the machine is a bit old.
    Or some cables could be loosely connected, check them too. Or the connector might be slightly broken, since it sometimes work.

When you boot with the USB installer stick, do all USB ports work properly? If so, then an update might have broken something.

One thing to check is the BIOS/firmware, is it up to date?

• @manuel said in An Issue with USB port:

@Mr-MoMo
    It might be a hardware failure, especially if the machine is a bit old.
    Or some cables could be loosely connected, check them too. Or the connector might be slightly broken, since it sometimes work.

When you boot with the USB installer stick, do all USB ports work properly? If so, then an update might have broken something.

One thing to check is the BIOS/firmware, is it up to date?

I experience the same problem. USB ports are detected when booting live from USB, but no USB device detected by the OS when logged in.

EDIT: sorry, to soon. Reinstalling the linux-firmware and linux-headers and rebooting the system fixed it. Thanks.

• @manuel Thank you for your response!
    my device is 4-5 years old, do you think it is old ?

There is one port doesn’t work at all for some reason. Bot the two others they work fine when I boot with a USB stick.

• @Mr-MoMo
    It is not too old. But I assume you checked the connectors and cables?

One thing to try is to reinstall most packages with this command (it takes some time though):

pacman -Qqn | sudo pacman -S -

• @Mr-MoMo journal from time you plug an usb would may bring some light too…

journalctl -f
    plug the usb and copy paste output (related)

• The problem in the USB port is happening on my device as well. I have an iPad Air and I am connecting it with the otg connector through the USB but the problem is there. Due to the connection issue I ma not being able to connect iTunes and getting iTunes error 9. How would it be fixed?

• This post is really helpful but I have another issue, when I use my printer it shows an error epson error code 0xe5, I really have no idea how to solve this errors if anyone has any idea how can I solve this then please share with me.

• Please start new threads for new issues. It is confusing to add many issues on one thread.

You can create links to old threads in your new thread if you wish.

Closing

usb117 port3 Posts 18Views 580
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.