• Install Plasma 5

How to install Plasma 5 on Antergos installed with XFCE?

• If you mean to install KDE next to XFCE, then you can install it with

sudo pacman -S plasma

But to have those DE’s installed alongside can cause problems in the long run.

• or take meta package to get antergos choice of packages…
    sudo pacman -S antergos-kde-meta

• Thanks for responds. Which method would be better?

• @Bryanpwo said in Install Plasma 5:

If you mean to install KDE next to XFCE, then you can install it with

sudo pacman -S plasma

But to have those DE’s installed alongside can cause problems in the long run.

It is equivalent with installing of KDE Plasma Desktop package using pamac?

• @zoli62 pamac is only a package manager, using pacman with a gui … so pacman command using in terminal is the same as using pamac…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Installation

You can choose the archlinux way and install archlinux kde package group plasma or archlinux meta package plasma-meta what will install a full overloaded plasma desktop with all aviable stuff… or go the Antergos way and install antergos-kde-meta what will be the recommended way, as you will get antergos settings and a slick plasma desktop.

• @joekamprad Pamac was a Gui packagemanager for pacman, but these days uses libalmp directly, but im not certain about version here because i dont use it, i have also a command line… pamac terminal is not as pacman basicy , is like pamac install xx as example… pamac is another beast :)

• @joekamprad said in Install Plasma 5:

@zoli62 pamac is only a package manager, using pacman with a gui … so pacman command using in terminal is the same as using pamac…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Installation

You can choose the archlinux way and install archlinux kde package group plasma or archlinux meta package plasma-meta what will install a full overloaded plasma desktop with all aviable stuff… or go the Antergos way and install antergos-kde-meta what will be the recommended way, as you will get antergos settings and a slick plasma desktop.

Thanks. I know that pamac is an gui, my question is more precisely is: should I install this https://build.antergos.com/package/antergos-kde-meta from terminal, or this package called “KDE Plasma Desktop” from pamac?

• @ringo32 question was: “It is equivalent with installing of KDE Plasma Desktop package using pamac?”

“using pacman with a gui” is wrong sure… but installing a package is the same in result it is only another way of install the same package…

• @zoli62 KDE Plasma Desktop is only the workspace package not a full Desktop Environment, antergos-kde-meta will install all needed packages for the Antergos KDE Desktop.

• @joekamprad I thought. What is the meaning of the workspace in this context? Otherwise, since I came from Debian, I thought that during any package install the command line method was to be followed. BTW Arch way or Antergos way would be recommended?

• @zoli62
    The workspace refers to plasma for the KDE desktop, KDE is the actual desktop environment. KDE has two workspaces one is called Neon, exclusively built for Kubuntu and the other one is Plasma, their default workspace.
    I know it’s a bit confusing maybe, but this is the way KDE rolls.
    Since you’re on Antergos, it’s better to do it the Antergos way, so you also get the Antergos specific features in the KDE Plasma DE.

• @Bryanpwo
    Meanwhile, I installed the Plasma desktop from the terminal. Before this even i experienced a system crash, because the screen was darkening during the a pamac system upgrade, so I restarted the machine, and the X did not start. Because of this, I had to do a little bit with the repairing in the command line. I used KDE for a long time ago even on former Suse Linux.

The whole thing for me was the lesson that it would be really good if using the pamac could install a complete set of packages for a particular desktop environment and should not be installed from the terminal.

• @zoli62 said in Install Plasma 5:

The whole thing for me was the lesson that it would be really good if using the pamac could install a complete set of packages for a particular desktop environment and should not be installed from the terminal.

This exactly is what i recommend to you… installing antergos-kde-meta with pamac is all you need to install for plasma-desktop-kde-complete-desktop-environment-preconfigured-from-antergos … and no need to use pacman from commandline at all on regular install updates… at the forum we often give pacman command as it is more easy to give instruction with terminal commands, then instruct to use a gui …
    And as Archbased systems do not support partial updates, if you install anything new, allways do a full system upadate before!

• @joekamprad

It’s all nice and good, but I did not see antergos-kde-meta in pamac. So I installed it from the terminal.

• @zoli62 same same…

• @joekamprad

I was wrong, you were right. The package in question is included on the pamac’s package list.

• Otherwise the current KDE is not so bad. Although some of the old bugs, such as a long-time, hourglass-like mouse cursor after opening desktop programs, remain.

• antergos-kde-meta works great, but be aware of this: It’s only gonna help you to install the packages. They won’t be uninstalled when you remove antergos-kde-meta. Thus it’s a good idea to take note of all the packages installed. Otherwise it can be quite a pain in the ass to remove kde from your system in the future.

• meta always nice :) sudo pacman -Rnsc antergos-kde-meta all is gone :)

plasma46 Posts 20Views 1121
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.