• How to install libgconf-2.so.4 ?

Hello,

I’m a fairly new Linux (Cinnamon) user and have a question about installing a single file instead of an entire package.

When I try to run Visual Studio Code from terminal using ./code I get the following error:
    ./code: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

pacman -Fs libgconf-2.so.4 gives the following packages that provide this file:

extra/gconf 3.2.6+11+g07808097-4
        usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
    multilib/lib32-gconf 3.2.6-2
        usr/lib32/libgconf-2.so.4

The gconf package calls itself “An obsolete configuration database system”.
    Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GConf mentions that “It was deprecated as part of the GNOME 3 transition. Migration to its replacement, GSettings and dconf, is ongoing.”

I already have dconf, dconf-editor and gsettings-desktop-schemas installed.

My questions are:

• Since I only need a single particular file ( libgconf-2.so.4 ), how do I install just that file alone, instead of the entire packages that provide it?

• Is it in any way harmful to have gconf installed alongside dconf, dconf-editor and gsettings-desktop-schemas, since gconf was deprecated?

I hope I’ve asked my questions clearly.
    If I need to provide any more information, please let me know.

• @sora said in How to install libgconf-2.so.4 ?:

libgconf-2.so.4

gnome & cinnamon uses dconf , i dont think they use gconf , normaly gconf is listed as depency for this, it should automatical install by install

• @ringo32 Thanks for your response.
    I’m not quite sure what to do with that information though, regarding my questions.

The important questions I’m trying to get an answer to are:

• Since I only need a single particular file ( libgconf-2.so.4 ), how do I install just that file alone, instead of the entire packages that provide it?

• Is it in any way harmful to have gconf installed alongside dconf, dconf-editor and gsettings-desktop-schemas, since gconf was deprecated?

• @sora
    To install:

sudo pacman -S gconf

If you have problems with it, you may uninstall it e.g. with command

sudo pacman -Rsn gconf

• for some reason i have here gconf-gtk2 installed, dont kow why but probably also for evince2 for some depency, and i have also zenity-gtk2 because gtk3 want have a webkit2gtk , i removed it :) nevermind, i do think does not conflict because does not use the same config

• @sora

• It is not a good idea to install only one file from a package. Future updates will be missing.
    • gconf is a dependency for vivaldi and emacs, so it is not deprecated. I suggest you just try installing it and see what happens. In case of problems, it it easy to uninstall.
  • @manuel, @ringo32 thanks for your explainations, I appreciate it a lot :)

I see that Visual Studio Code is available in the repositories, so I guess I’ll give that a try first instead of the .tar.gz download from their website.

I wonder why Visual Studio Code in the (NON-AUR) repositories is at version 1.27.2-1 though, while the latest version online is at 1.29.1: https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_29
    It’s the same with the browser slimjet, which is at version 15.1.2.0-1 in the repositories, while the latest version online is at version 21.0.1(Beta): https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

My understanding was that Antergos is a “bleeding edge” rolling release distribution and thus always offers the latest versions of all software.
    Does “bleeding edge” rolling release mean something different?
    Could you please explain this inconsistency in software versions?

• in Repo it called code, is flagged out-date, must be a reason arch packager is late, i dont know…

there is vscode-bin in repo, mayby configs can be different that is atleast i guess…

in repo self calls code…

• @sora said in How to install libgconf-2.so.4 ?:

My understanding was that Antergos is a “bleeding edge” rolling release distribution and thus always offers the latest versions of all software.
    Does “bleeding edge” rolling release mean something different?
    Could you please explain this inconsistency in software versions?

Someone including ourselves has to dedicate time and effort to maintain packages.
    I’ve been using Linux of various flavours for years (Open Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, and a few others ).
    I can say, for the packages that do matter to most users, Arch and therefore Antergos is “bleeding edge”.

I am running the newer version of slimjet, see
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/slimjet/
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/makepkg
    and you can do so yourself.
    Caveats do apply, you are building the package yourself, you will have to debug etc. yourself.

Maybe if you ask nicely someone who knows how can add slimjet to the Antergos repository.

• @sora see https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10986/question-about-manual-installation-of-a-package-from-aur-archlinux-org for more explanations regarding the slimjet version and how to install the newer version. Much better and simpler than what I did.

• Thanks for all the guidance everybody 😁

• in my arch the file you want libgconf-2.so.4 is a symlink to libgconf-2.so.4.1.5 and is stored in /usr/lib/
    sometimes you can trick the library in thinking you have the file by symlinking it but it will fail the next time your hardlink updates. if you really just need that file search /usr/lib/ for libgconf take the file that has the longest name ie libgconf-2.so.4.1.5 copy that to somewhere else than rename it libgconf-2.so.4 and paste it into your /usr/lib/
    many times this works other times it will ask you for more missing files

install84 file6 filename2 libgconf-2.so.41 Posts 12Views 1634
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.