After watching this continue on my system for a few months, the problem never went away, so decided to start looking into it because I’d fallen into the habit of just disabling it in the system activity after booting.
I’ve found traces of this this giving people ram issues back to 2015 as far as I’ve seen.
What’s interesting, we all had KDE in common in the instances I’d seen so if that helps anyone idk.
What fixed it for me was running
the file indexer ran for a bit, I rebooted, not an issues since a couple days ago when I did it.
The solution was the same in 2017 in this forum, someone had an issue with baloo_file_extractor mine was baloo_file
I never saw anything in searches that could suggest what could cause this, the only thing I got was that it seemed to strike people randomly with KDE.
Maybe certain hardware not likeing an update at one point caused it idk.
Anyway, the super high ram & cpu usage isn’t at 75% anymore , hope it helps.