• \[SOLVED\] Taking the plunge. I need it all to work.

Hi,

I have found that Antergos is the closest I can get to the perfect distro, but since I use my laptop for work I need to make sure I can get software I have to use without problems and gotchas after I have installed and working on the OS. I’ve got all I need on Ubuntu so I am asking here if I easily can get the following applications to work:

• Viber
    • Hipchat.
    • Dropbox

If I can get confirmed these working on Antergos I’m good to go. Could someone please help me in this regard?

//Christian

• Hi,

I have found that Antergos is the closest I can get to the perfect distro, but since I use my laptop for work I need to make sure I can get software I have to use without problems and gotchas after I have installed and working on the OS. I’ve got all I need on Ubuntu so I am asking here if I easily can get the following applications to work:

• Viber
    • Hipchat.
    • Dropbox

If I can get confirmed these working on Antergos I’m good to go. Could someone please help me in this regard?

//Christian

• why dont you run antergos in a virtualbox and see how it works for you.

i dont think you will have any problems though. arch has tons of software and always up to date.

• @“megaman”:3lrl92yx said:

why dont you run antergos in a virtualbox and see how it works for you.

i dont think you will have any problems though. arch has tons of software and always up to date.[/quote:3lrl92yx]

VM’s aren’t really reliable for testing everything. For instance, the VPN client I have to use doesn’t work in a VM for some reason. I also know Arch is very up to date, but some of the software I have to use isn’t (again, like the VPN client )

//Christian

• i found a link about that app
    [https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1415781#p1415781][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php][1] … 1#p1415781

that is true some apps work better for different distros but there always seems to be a work around.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php

• Working on Antergos or Arch?
    Anyway, no-one can ever reassure you that what works flawlessly on his/her machine, will work the same on yours. Not even if you share the very same distro!!! The only way to find out is to test it yourself on the specific machine starting with trying it live before installing it…
    Personally, if you check my signature, I am running 2 distros, with Antergos being my basic daily use and Ubuntu beiig its alternative. So far, I have t found sth that I used run in Ubu and cannot run Antergos. Unless the app is exclussively deb-based of course.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• ive havent found a program yet that i have run in ubuntu that wont run on antergos/arch

true though if you want to see if that app will work for you. gotta test it yourself. although i think it will or find something just as good.

• I had to give up for now. I got Antergos installed but had several problems I do not have time to look into right now. The monitor didn’t turn off after the time I had set. Also, when I tried to reboot the computer froze during shutdown and I had to hard restart. There were some error messages during boot about ACPI on Thinkpad (running on a Thinkpad) so I would have to investigate that. Might be the reason the screen shut-off didn’t work. Also, the HP Toolbox application wouldn’t run. Probably a dependency problem. I did get the other applications I need to work, but I had to restore Ubuntu until I have time to look at these issues. Thank you guys for help!

//Christian

• Hi, assuming you are using Gnome 3 you need to replace lightdm with gdm to get screen blanking to work.

pacman -S gdm
    systemctl disable lightdm
    systemctl enable gdm

Reboot and you should be ok.

Can’t help with the ACPI messages though.

Yours t_j

• @“tardis_junkie”:2ch6qot6 said:

Hi, assuming you are using Gnome 3 you need to replace lightdm with gdm to get screen blanking to work.

pacman -S gdm
    systemctl enable gdm

Yours t_j[/quote:2ch6qot6]

Yep, I’m Gnome3 all the way (using Ubuntu GNOME now). Any idea why I can shut down cleanly? It freezes half way and I have to hard reboot which results in a disk check every time I boot. Thank you for pointing out the lightDM vs GDM issue. I should have known…

//Christian

• @“tardis_junkie”:3mii3c0r said:

Hi, assuming you are using Gnome 3 you need to replace lightdm with gdm to get screen blanking to work.

pacman -S gdm
    systemctl enable gdm

Yours t_j[/quote:3mii3c0r]
    cool thanx for that tardis

• About apps:

• Skype -> works for me, need some configuration to work with pulseaudio (and more config to work with KDE, I believe :p)
    • Forticlient SSL VPN client (v 4.4.x) -> dunno
    • Viber -> installable and runable for me, I didn’t make any calls, so I’m not sure
    • Hipchat -> works for me
    • Dropbox -> works for me out of the box

There were some error messages during boot about ACPI on Thinkpad (running on a Thinkpad) so I would have to investigate that.

I believe I saw somewhere in repos additional drivers or modules to load for Thinkpads (IBM T21 for me :p)

• 'm making another attempt today. I worry about not being able to shutdown cleanly, but I’ll figure it out I hope.

//Christian

• This time it all worked out!. Thank you for help! There were some issues with after the install. One was that HP-Toolbox won’t open lacking some pyQT stuff which I had to install. I have to use HP-Toolbox to get scanner support for my HP MFP. The other is an error message in PacmanXG I which also turned out to be a lacking AUR package (can’t remember which). I have also fixed the unclean shutdown which was caused by a network card module I blacklisted. Otherwise I have all my needed software installed and running and installation was a breeze! Now we’ll have to see if I can live with it over time.

Been on deb based distros since 1998, so this is a big step for me!

//Christian

• Congratulations! And welcome in the world of cutting-edge and full-rolling-release

• Welcome! Glad you took the step to Antergos!
    If I may ask you a question. Did you get the HPLIP to work? I have the same problem with you and I switch to Ubuntu if I have to work with printing. You mentioned some pyQT stuff. I checked them and there is a numver of choice. Which one?s did you install?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @"George said:

Welcome! Glad you took the step to Antergos!
    If I may ask you a question. Did you get the HPLIP to work? I have the same problem with you and I switch to Ubuntu if I have to work with printing. You mentioned some pyQT stuff. I checked them and there is a numver of choice. Which one?s did you install?[/quote:wdw9mb03]

Thanks guys! I am a bit shaky still trying to get to know Antergos/Arch after 15 years on deb-distros! I’m still typing apt-get instead of pacman, but I guess I’ll get over it!

I installed python-pyqt4, python2-pyqt4 and pyqt4-common to get HP-Toolbox to work

//Christian

• Thanks a lot for your immediate response!

• @“cdysthe”:1t3834fr said:

@"George said:

Welcome! Glad you took the step to Antergos!
    If I may ask you a question. Did you get the HPLIP to work? I have the same problem with you and I switch to Ubuntu if I have to work with printing. You mentioned some pyQT stuff. I checked them and there is a numver of choice. Which one?s did you install?[/quote:1t3834fr]

Thanks guys! I am a bit shaky still trying to get to know Antergos/Arch after 15 years on deb-distros! I’m still typing apt-get instead of pacman, but I guess I’ll get over it!

I installed python-pyqt4, python2-pyqt4 and pyqt4-common to get HP-Toolbox to work[/quote:1t3834fr]

i had the same problem moving from deb to arch lol

• @“megaman”:cl6uzyqt said:

i had the same problem moving from deb to arch lol[/quote:cl6uzyqt]
    I had printing problems when coming from Mint, so I just left the printer hooked up to a Mint machine. I saw this thread and decided to see if I could get things working. I plugged the printer in and, as if my magic, everything worked without my having to do anything.

I can tell you it’s likely not down to good, clean living.

Welcome to Antergos, cdysthe! If you enjoy it half as much as I do, you’re going to be delighted.

Posts 20Views 4265