• Screen flickering / black

Last time i used Antergos i had a weird problem, because my Firefox was suddenly only using a quarter of my screen, the rest turned black. I could move it around, but not minimize it and stuff, so i decided to turn the Laptop (Thinkpad X230) off and on again. I was loading updates at the moment, but pretty sure i didn’t started the installation.

Now i can’t log in anymore. Grub is loading, the the hdd-pw-request is popping up and i can enter my password. After that, i get some status-notifications as always when booting, but then it just turns into a black screen, that flickers.

There is nothing happening for minutes. Changing to Fallback or LTS-Kernel via Grub is doing nothing for me as well. DIdn’t try a live cd until know, because if the lack of a cd-drive.

I’m kind of a rookie, and i am out of ideas. Any help appreciated.

• be more informative about how exactly you where starting updates.
    Looks like you have installed with encryption, so recovery is a bit more complicated.
    On a first watch it looks like incomplete update caused by a crash in between…

• @joekamprad said in Screen flickering / black:

be more informative about how exactly you where starting updates.

I used the Standard Update-Process via GUI. There were multiple updates, because i didn’t update the system for maybe 7-10 days.

Looks like you have installed with encryption, so recovery is a bit more complicated.

I was afraid of that, but are there possibilities?

On a first watch it looks like incomplete update caused by a crash in between…

Is there a way to resume those updates?

• sure… all in linux are only files ;)

if system boots, but only do not start graphicals you can just press [ctrl+Alt+F2] and will reach TTY2 where you can login from textbased and run command to proceed update:
    sudo pacman -Syu

• Thank you so much for your help, i appreciate it.

@joekamprad said in Screen flickering / black:

sure… all in linux are only files ;)

Puh, that is at least some small relief.

if system boots, but only do not start graphicals you can just press [ctrl+Alt+F2] and will reach TTY2 where you can login from textbased and run command to proceed update:
    sudo pacman -Syu

I can login via console, but get the following messages:
    error: failed to update antergos (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
    error: failed to synchronize all databases

• sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

and try again! and make sure you have wired internet connection … may wifi is not connected…

• @joekamprad That worked, thank you so much for your time and energy!

Have some other problems now (firefox couldn’t be started, deinstalled it and now can’t reinstall), but i will open a new topic for that, and resolve this one.

• yes ! new topic new thread ;)

black69 flickering6 Posts 8Views 71
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.