• Nvidia/Bumblebee Help Needed!

Hello, I have an Acer V3-771g Optimus Laptop with GeForce GT730M & Intel HD4000 graphics. I have followed Mr. Joe Kamprad’s Wiki on installing the nVidia drivers using the -b switch. Everything seems to be installed, both glxgears & glxspheres64 runs with good frame rates. However, I want to run the nVidia graphics driver exclusively and cannot seem to get GPU switching to work, I have read page after page of text without finding a solution. Thank you in advance for what help you can give me.

Installed:
    Antergos 18.10
    Bumblebee 3.2.1-20
    nVidia 410.66-3
    nvidia-installer 1.17-2
    nvidia-settings 410.66-1
    nvidia-utils 410.66-1
    lib32-nvutils 410.66-1
    libvdpau 1.1.1+3+ga21bf7a-1
    libxnvctrl 410.66-1
    antergos-prime 0.1-3
    Plus whatever files were installed as dependencies.

• first thing i would try is booting with LTS kernel.
    what will need also to do change to the lts version of nvidia and have linux-lts-headers installed…

and regenerating grub.cfg to have linux-lts as boot option under Antergos advanced options inside grub menu on boot.

you can let your setup as it is and install them extra… both options will be aviable…

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers nvidia-lts
    may good to install additional firmware files for nvidia cards from this AUR build:
    yay -S nouveau-fw

then:
    sudo mkinitcpio -p linux-lts
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

On reboot choose “Advanced options for Antergos” and inside Linux-LTS to boot.

• Thank you, Mr. Kamprad, your help is much appreciated! I followed your instructions and now have the LTS kernel to use as a backup. I did find that the Bumblebeed daemon was functioning, and that what I needed to do was simply append the *.desktop entry for the programs I wish to use the nVidia graphics driver with “optirun” before the exe file. Example gratis:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Application Name
    Comment=Your Comment Here
    Exec=optirun /PATH/TO/APPLICATION
    Icon=application.svg
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;
    StartupNotify=true

Now, the nVidia graphics card turns on and is visible in my top bar. Again, my sincere thanks to Joe Kamprad :) I will mark this issue as CLOSED.

• @ColaBear
    Another way is to write simple ”wrapper” scripts into /usr/local/bin, for example:

# contents of /usr/local/bin/firefox
    optirun /usr/bin/firefox ”[email protected]

and mark them executable:

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/firefox

That script will launch firefox with optirun. Now the corresponding firefox.desktop file should have just firefox on the Exec line.

• If you create a new desktop file for firefox (or any other) you will need to name it different to the original one! …
    and save it in users directory under ~./local/share/applications/firefox-optirun.desktop

or install a desktop helper app like arronax
    0_1541839222622_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-11-10 09-39-55.png

** And i do not see any profits on creating both a desktop file + a script under /usr/local/bin/ @manuel ??

• @joekamprad

And i do not see any profits on creating both a desktop file + a script under /usr/local/bin/

Mainly I meant creating a script instead of a desktop file. The script can be used directly from the command line, and for most programs, with the mouse using the desktop file icon.

But the problem is that some desktop files have something else on the Exec line than just the name of the executable, for example in case of Firefox the desktop file has

Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u

which makes the script unusable for Firefox with the desktop icon. Well, Firefox is only one example, many others do not have this problem, e.g. Mousepad has

Exec=mousepad %F

But the original problem is solved, I just wanted to show yet another alternative.

needed11 nvidiabumblebee1 Posts 6Views 127
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.