• Antergos not installing.........Take a deep breathe......

Installing Antergos has been a pain lately, we all can’t deny that.
    When installs don’t work or stall or whatever, I understand you can be frustrated and even angry about it. The next step is to go to the forum and ask for a solution, that’s the best thing to do. Though I do understand your frustration, just take a breathe and realize that:
    A) You didn’t have to pay 139,- EURO to get Antergos on your hardware.
    B) You didn’t have to buy a 1300,- EURO machine to get an Antergos license.
    Antergos is made and maintained by people who like doing this, without a business model. It’s purely based on enthusiasm and the love of it from three persons.
    Of course you can have ideas and suggestions to make Antergos better, but suggesting is a different thing than demanding. So take a breathe and realize this before submitting a strong opinion when things go wrong, after all we’re all using this distro that was made with the devs vision.
    There are a lot of examples of Linux projects that ceased to exist because of this sort of behaviour, the most recent example is AURMAN.
    I know that a lot of you treat the devs with respect, but I see regularly that people post strong opinions based on frustration.
    So count to ten, take a breathe and search on the forum first, instead of blindly submitting, you’re most likely not the only one that has this problem, that’s the plus side of having a forum.
    For a solution to the current problem just click over here. Karasu is working on it and apoligised for the inconvenience, he also gave us a temporarily solution.✌

• Very well said, I am grateful for all the work the Linux communities do and this is the reason I don’t complain or demand anything. I know they spend hours of their free time developing systems for us to use and yes we have to keep this in mind when asking for help

As stated we don’t pay for anything so how can we demand anything, let’s just enjoy the open source software and try to figure out problems when they arise. And don’t forget to thank those who take the time to help us with our questions

Have a great day

• I agree that, for something which is community driven, demanding something is not the way but I don’t see any problem in suggesting that Antergos should provide a reliable way to install it. I’ve installed Antergos in some computers and I’ve been hit by this kind of problem twice. Maybe it’s my bad luck but I think the developers should think about a reliable way to install it that, even in the case of a package being badly built, you don’t get an unbootable system. We are not talking here about a minor bug, this could render a computer unusable if you don’t have access to a second one to install any other distribution and it’s a very serious issue. Every time I install Antergos I don’t know what’s going to happen. Even if the install media is OK, then it can fail due to a network error or a badly signed package. That doesn’t happen in other distributions and the solution is very simple and it’s been done in many of them: install a base system from the USB and get a bootable system, then install updates. That way, even if any update fail, you can get a working system with the base installation and try to fix it from there.

• @getaceres
    I didn’t say that you can’t suggest things, my post was merely aimed at people who ask for help, but at the same time aren’t open for help. Usually they start posting the problem, while there’s already an ongoing thread on it and in the same post they strongly explain that this and that is fundamentally wrong and because of that they were forced to moved over to this and that distro, because Antergos is crap.
    Of course we can discuss the ups and downs of the distro over here and in the end it’s up to the devs what suggestions will make it to the next release.
    My point is just to do this all in an adult and civil fashion.

• @Bryanpwo said in Antergos not installing.........Take a deep breathe......:

My point is just to do this all in an adult and civil fashion.

👏

b.t.w. devs are already working on a possibillity to get Antergos installed offline directly from ISO…
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/tree/0.16.x-offline

• Well I agree with these thoughts. Therefore, you do not have to wonder if some basic setting is based on the taste of the developers and not according to the users’ needs.

• @Bryanpwo I came across this post and thought it was rather pertinent, and I do agree as well with some of the other comments here bearing in mind that it’s never easy, and that there are always several truths to any story.

I was on Manjaro Plasma for well over a year or so before coming on over to Antergos to take “a look see” in mid-Spring and stayed aboard for roughly 3+ months and went back over to Manjaro(which is superb IMO).

I had been so impressed with Antergos Plasma that I felt an “itch” and was missing something and decided to switch back in September.

However, the above mentioned problems did occur on more than one occasion, and as I’ve always 2 ISO’s on USB drives as a back-up this didn’t prove to be a real problem for me, preferring to wait it out as such and see how these niggles worked out…I’m not particularly Linux proficient compared to some, and didn’t have the time.

I re-attempted an install last weekend and encountered no problem whatsoever, which wasn’t the case the weekend before, and it all went just fine from start to finish this time - actually, the install processus plus reboot was so quick I was pretty darned impressed to be honest with you!

Just to say, plain sailing for the time being, and that for me things finally worked out with a little patience. ☺

• My 2 cents…the answer is it depends! ;-)
    When I investigated distro hopping to Arch, I decided Arch was too much hard work :-(.
    I tried out Manjaro and the installation was fine until I tried using Nividia drivers, the installation was rendered dead in it tracks!
    Then I tried Antergos and it went well all the way. That was 9-10 months ago, and I’ve stayed. I really really like Antergos and this forum.
    I have 4 distros installed on my box (all KDE based) but Antergos is my goto for daily usage,
    it is lean and quick. So much so that I now use it on the “underpowered” laptop which used to run distros like lubuntu/xubuntu ( a lot of distro hopping to find one that ran reasonably quickly).
    IMO with rolling distros things will go wrong from time to time that is the price one has to pay for being on the cutting edge.
    The only other rolling distro I used for some amount of time was OpenSuse Tumbleweed, and in my limited experience Antergos is remarkably stable.
    This forum and the members help enormously.

• i tried to install antergos 4 times in a row now. made an usb ready with the minimal and the large iso.

ive got everytime an cnchi error.

solution that worked was :

• Using Minimal ISO
    • (Use CD/DVD at start up)
    • Close CNCHI Installer
    • Connect to WiFi / Internet
    • Wait till CNCHI is updated
    • Close CNCHI
    • Open Terminal
    • Update Mirrorlist
    sudo reflector -l 30 -f 15 --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

• use command “cnchi” to open cnchi from the terminal
    • Follow the instructions

with that way i finished my installation 😇

• Glad to hear that your patience got rewarded.

• @zarbol Do I need to know Arch commands to install and use Antergos? I just know Debian commands.

• I meant do I need to know pacman commands to use not install Antergos. For example when I was in Ubuntu and something broke, I just used sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade and that usually fixed the broken program.

• @debiandonder stay on one topic and please do not ask the same in several threads…
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11389/gui-user/2

• @joekamprad Oh dear, the Debian people can get sarcastic over at their forum but they are less pushy than this. I guest the most important thing I need is support if needed. Maybe I should just go back to boring Ubuntu where I didn’t need any support at all, it just worked. I am not some bored Linux enthusiast that like talking about Linux all day. I just want to use and forget that I am using it. Thanks for the help, I realise I’m a Ubuntu user and anything more complicates is simply beyond me. Long live Mark Shuttleworth!

• @debiandonder but… I say please … and i do support you already, I only asked politely … but may I was way to pushy with this. ✌

• @debiandonder
    No need to get excited. :)

How you want to use Linux is of course your choice.
    If you want it to just work, then Ubuntu most probably is a better choice for you than any Arch based OS.
    Ubuntu also has a rich man funding the development, which makes many things in development much more easy.

However, that’s not what all users want. Typically Arch users want to learn how the system works and control every detail in the system as much as possible. And Arch users want to have up to date software on their machines.

Antergos (as it is based on Arch) in this sense is somewhere in between Arch and Ubuntu. Some important things (like e.g. installation) are easier to do in Antergos than Arch. But Antergos is a rolling release like Arch, so updates may break it somewhat more often than e.g. Ubuntu.

But: you choose what you want. Nobody is pushing you. There are reasons for different kinds of Linux distros.

• @joekamprad No worries! I have been moving from Zorin OS to Q40S and it didn’t go so well. The internet works but a lot of other things don’t. I have been trying to make everything work for a week. Debian and Arch are right for other people just not me.

• @debiandonder said in Antergos not installing.........Take a deep breathe......:

Do I need to know Arch commands to install and use Antergos?

When someone tries to use another distribution, the least they have to do is look for the documentation of that distribution, get into it and try to understand what they will later do with that distribution.
    Here nobody has treated him badly, very little time ago, almost nothing that came here to the forum and its management is not appropriate at all.
    For the rest, learn a little more education, locate yourself and if you do not like something or are unhappy, the door is open.
    All the best.

• @manuel Yes, you are right. I just thought that I don’t want to reinstall the OS every few years, like is necessary with Ubuntu. I am using Q40S right now and it works, except for the music player that don’t want to import cd’s correctly.

Debian has a confusing website and out dated software, while Arch is too technical and updates can break the system.

Ubuntu, you still install and forget, you don’t have to make a hobby out of maintaining the OS.

deep3 breathe1 Posts 27Views 3534
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.