• Help me solve a scanner mystery

I have an HP Envy 4500 wireless scanner/printer combo that actually works very well in linux overall, I have had it work in Fedora, debian and of course Ubuntu (oh no not the U word!)
    Now most seem to work with the printer, the scanner is a little dodgier and seems to work best in Ubuntu 14.04LTS (probably due to its version of sane which is roundabout the same one in arch stable)
    And well for some bizarre reason it is detected right off in Ubuntu but I have to plug the device in when using Antergos to get sane to detect it.
    Now even stranger is that the hplip toolbox can detect the scanner no prob, but I have to open and refresh it each time to use the scanner,
    Now I did try to do my homework here but google and forum searches came up with little to no clues on why HPLIP toolbox picks this up but not the main sane frontends like xsane and simple scan.
    It also doesnt load in the terminal so I am left without any real ideas on where the source of my issue is.
    Even the arch wiki came up short in answers so I am left asking this question.
    Once I know where the issue is coming from i will know how to solve it but as of now I am stumped.

• I have an HP Envy 4500 wireless scanner/printer combo that actually works very well in linux overall, I have had it work in Fedora, debian and of course Ubuntu (oh no not the U word!)
    Now most seem to work with the printer, the scanner is a little dodgier and seems to work best in Ubuntu 14.04LTS (probably due to its version of sane which is roundabout the same one in arch stable)
    And well for some bizarre reason it is detected right off in Ubuntu but I have to plug the device in when using Antergos to get sane to detect it.
    Now even stranger is that the hplip toolbox can detect the scanner no prob, but I have to open and refresh it each time to use the scanner,
    Now I did try to do my homework here but google and forum searches came up with little to no clues on why HPLIP toolbox picks this up but not the main sane frontends like xsane and simple scan.
    It also doesnt load in the terminal so I am left without any real ideas on where the source of my issue is.
    Even the arch wiki came up short in answers so I am left asking this question.
    Once I know where the issue is coming from i will know how to solve it but as of now I am stumped.

• Hm… I’m no expert, but I think, that I would check if there is in Linux any module (to load with kernel), which will watch if scanner is connected on system boot…
    But this is long shot anyway…

Posts 3Views 940