• How stable is cinnamon?

im a big fan of the guys over at linuxmint. they have done a awesome job of listening to users about what they want. how is your user experience with cinnamon though? ive tried it out probably 3 times overall since its been released. ive gotta say ive never been able to stick with it. i always find some bugs that annoying or notice crashing. ive only used it with linuxmint though i havent tried the arch version.

same goes for the mate version. i love how fast it is but always end up with bugs. sometimes i wish there wasnt so many DE’s

honestly i find xfce is very close to mate. xfce has always been more rock solid for me though.

although i am a openbox user

• im a big fan of the guys over at linuxmint. they have done a awesome job of listening to users about what they want. how is your user experience with cinnamon though? ive tried it out probably 3 times overall since its been released. ive gotta say ive never been able to stick with it. i always find some bugs that annoying or notice crashing. ive only used it with linuxmint though i havent tried the arch version.

same goes for the mate version. i love how fast it is but always end up with bugs. sometimes i wish there wasnt so many DE’s

honestly i find xfce is very close to mate. xfce has always been more rock solid for me though.

although i am a openbox user

• Actually Cinnamon 2.2.14 is overall very good on my end, its especially great in Mint 17

• I have had zero issues with cinnamon. I am normally an openbox guy, but this is pretty nice.

• I tried the latest cinnamon about a month or two ago, it was alright but I ran into some weird bugs and just didn’t find it quite as “fluid” as Gnome 3 is. I guess that’s the best way I can describe it.
    It’s certainly not a bad DE though, nor is it unstable.

• Hi,

I like Cinnamon, as it feels “right”. Basically when Gnome3 appeared, I couldn’t stand it. Now with the extensions and some changes it is more usable for me, and honestly, Cinnamon still feels unmature, and with each new version new bugs arise.

What I don’t get is Mate purpose. It feels as a DE from the 20th century. We already have XFCE for this xD

And KDE always feels too bloated (I said “feels”, I’m not saying it really is).

So for now, it’s Gnome3 for me (and Openbox on low-spec machines!)

Cheers!

• Mm, I think Gnome 3 came out too early and gave people a bad impression. If you compare the first stable build of gnome 3 to the latest 3.12 (and as of this week 3.14), it’s like night and day.

• @“karasu”:3mlk50rb said:

Hi,

I like Cinnamon, as it feels “right”. Basically when Gnome3 appeared, I couldn’t stand it. Now with the extensions and some changes it is more usable for me, and honestly, Cinnamon still feels unmature, and with each new version new bugs arise.

What I don’t get is Mate purpose. It feels as a DE from the 20th century. We already have XFCE for this xD

And KDE always feels too bloated (I said “feels”, I’m not saying it really is).

So for now, it’s Gnome3 for me (and Openbox on low-spec machines!)

Cheers![/quote:3mlk50rb]

i have the same feeling. mate isnt really needed. xfce is so close to it and much more stable. i understand linuxmint wanting to give everyone everything and that is nice of them but i think its spreading them out too much.

i kinda given up on cinnamon and mate myself.

xfce and openbox for me.

i just dont like gnome3. new kde looks pretty fancy but ya always with the bloat. i want fast desktop not bogged down one.

• Bogged down? From a DE?

Time to upgrade your comp, I think! :p

Posts 9Views 2432