• Slow internet


    I hope I’m writing in the right section, since I’m suspecting of a hardware/driver problem.
    I’m having problems with my internet/network. This is not a new problem, i’m having this problem for about 6-8 months in Ubuntu. I just moved from Ubuntu Gnome, suspecting that Antergos would resolve the problem.

    I’m getting a lot of time outs when loading a site or even getting info or downloading packages with PacmanXG, specially using AUR packages. Usually in Firefox or Chromium, every page takes a long time to load, while info bar states that is resolving, looking up or waiting for the address.
    This is a Linux only problem, since in Windows i don’t have this problem, even if i’m torrenting like a mad man, making me guess that it’s not an hardware problem, and probably an driver or software problem.

    At this moment i don’t know if this is a driver problem or something related to dns resolving, so i need help diagnosing the problem.
    I’ve been searching for fixes but found nothing until now.

    this is my lspci -l (the ethernet part)
    Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)

  • I hope I’m writing in the right section, since I’m suspecting of a hardware/driver problem.
    I’m having problems with my internet/network. This is not a new problem, i’m having this problem for about 6-8 months in Ubuntu. I just moved from Ubuntu Gnome, suspecting that Antergos would resolve the problem.

    I’m getting a lot of time outs when loading a site or even getting info or downloading packages with PacmanXG, specially using AUR packages. Usually in Firefox or Chromium, every page takes a long time to load, while info bar states that is resolving, looking up or waiting for the address.
    This is a Linux only problem, since in Windows i don’t have this problem, even if i’m torrenting like a mad man, making me guess that it’s not an hardware problem, and probably an driver or software problem.

    At this moment i don’t know if this is a driver problem or something related to dns resolving, so i need help diagnosing the problem.
    I’ve been searching for fixes but found nothing until now.

    this is my lspci -l (the ethernet part)
    Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)

  • Hi,

    Who is your ISP? How are you connected to the gateway, directly or is there another router/switch/hub in between your system and the gateway? Have you tried a new cable? (sounds silly but they don’t last forever) Install " mtr " and then post the output of this command:

    mtr -w -i 3 -c 40 
    

    Best Regards,
    Dustin

  • hi, thanks for the reply.

    I just changed ISPs to Vodafone (50Mb).
    I’m connected directly to the router/gateway using a cat 5 cable.

    $ mtr www.google.com -w -i 3 -c 40  
    Start: Sun Aug 3 12:54:34 2014  
    HOST: Design Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev  
    1.|-- dsldevice.lan 0.0% 40 0.4 0.4 0.3 0.6 0.0  
    2.|-- 2.64.54.77.rev.vodafone.pt 0.0% 40 8.9 3.2 2.5 9.2 1.3  
    3.|-- 25.93.30.213.rev.vodafone.pt 0.0% 40 7.8 7.8 7.5 9.0 0.2  
    4.|-- 72.14.205.120 0.0% 40 13.3 13.8 13.1 31.6 2.9  
    5.|-- 216.239.49.248 0.0% 40 26.8 34.1 26.4 82.4 16.0  
    6.|-- 209.85.240.95 0.0% 40 21.8 21.8 21.4 25.6 0.7  
    7.|-- mad01s14-in-f20.1e100.net 0.0% 40 21.0 20.4 18.7 21.4 0.9  
      
    
    

    and 1 hour after

    $ mtr www.google.com -w -i 3 -c 40  
    Failed to resolve host: Name or service not known  
    
    
  • It appears your issue could be with Vodafone’s DNS. Try using googles DNS instead. You can configure your DNS servers manually in the connection’s settings. Here are the ips:

    8.8.8.8  
    8.8.4.4
    

    For more detailed instructions check this link: [https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using][0]">[https://developers.google.com/speed/pub][1] … docs/using

    Hope it helps

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://developers.google.com/speed/pub

  • mmmm

    my dns was on automatic and was set to the ip of my router/gateway… i changed it to my ISPs DNS and for now it’s working

    the strange thing is that, this solution was not working in Ubuntu Gnome

Posts 6Views 1687
Log in to reply