• Slow internet

I hope I’m writing in the right section, since I’m suspecting of a hardware/driver problem.
    I’m having problems with my internet/network. This is not a new problem, i’m having this problem for about 6-8 months in Ubuntu. I just moved from Ubuntu Gnome, suspecting that Antergos would resolve the problem.

I’m getting a lot of time outs when loading a site or even getting info or downloading packages with PacmanXG, specially using AUR packages. Usually in Firefox or Chromium, every page takes a long time to load, while info bar states that is resolving, looking up or waiting for the address.
    This is a Linux only problem, since in Windows i don’t have this problem, even if i’m torrenting like a mad man, making me guess that it’s not an hardware problem, and probably an driver or software problem.

At this moment i don’t know if this is a driver problem or something related to dns resolving, so i need help diagnosing the problem.
    I’ve been searching for fixes but found nothing until now.

this is my lspci -l (the ethernet part)
    Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)

• I hope I’m writing in the right section, since I’m suspecting of a hardware/driver problem.
    I’m having problems with my internet/network. This is not a new problem, i’m having this problem for about 6-8 months in Ubuntu. I just moved from Ubuntu Gnome, suspecting that Antergos would resolve the problem.

I’m getting a lot of time outs when loading a site or even getting info or downloading packages with PacmanXG, specially using AUR packages. Usually in Firefox or Chromium, every page takes a long time to load, while info bar states that is resolving, looking up or waiting for the address.
    This is a Linux only problem, since in Windows i don’t have this problem, even if i’m torrenting like a mad man, making me guess that it’s not an hardware problem, and probably an driver or software problem.

At this moment i don’t know if this is a driver problem or something related to dns resolving, so i need help diagnosing the problem.
    I’ve been searching for fixes but found nothing until now.

this is my lspci -l (the ethernet part)
    Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)

• Hi,

Who is your ISP? How are you connected to the gateway, directly or is there another router/switch/hub in between your system and the gateway? Have you tried a new cable? (sounds silly but they don’t last forever) Install " mtr " and then post the output of this command:

mtr -w -i 3 -c 40 

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• hi, thanks for the reply.

I just changed ISPs to Vodafone (50Mb).
    I’m connected directly to the router/gateway using a cat 5 cable.

$ mtr www.google.com -w -i 3 -c 40  
    Start: Sun Aug 3 12:54:34 2014  
    HOST: Design Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev  
    1.|-- dsldevice.lan 0.0% 40 0.4 0.4 0.3 0.6 0.0  
    2.|-- 2.64.54.77.rev.vodafone.pt 0.0% 40 8.9 3.2 2.5 9.2 1.3  
    3.|-- 25.93.30.213.rev.vodafone.pt 0.0% 40 7.8 7.8 7.5 9.0 0.2  
    4.|-- 72.14.205.120 0.0% 40 13.3 13.8 13.1 31.6 2.9  
    5.|-- 216.239.49.248 0.0% 40 26.8 34.1 26.4 82.4 16.0  
    6.|-- 209.85.240.95 0.0% 40 21.8 21.8 21.4 25.6 0.7  
    7.|-- mad01s14-in-f20.1e100.net 0.0% 40 21.0 20.4 18.7 21.4 0.9  

and 1 hour after

$ mtr www.google.com -w -i 3 -c 40  
    Failed to resolve host: Name or service not known  

• It appears your issue could be with Vodafone’s DNS. Try using googles DNS instead. You can configure your DNS servers manually in the connection’s settings. Here are the ips:

For more detailed instructions check this link: [https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using][0]">[https://developers.google.com/speed/pub][1] … docs/using

Hope it helps

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://developers.google.com/speed/pub

• mmmm

my dns was on automatic and was set to the ip of my router/gateway… i changed it to my ISPs DNS and for now it’s working

the strange thing is that, this solution was not working in Ubuntu Gnome

Posts 6Views 1687