• Cinnamon:Desktop icon/nemo slow

Hi all,

Here is my system info:
    [[email protected] ~]$ neofetch
    .-/::/-`` [email protected] .-/osssssssso/. ------------------ :osyysssssssyyys+- OS: Antergos Linux x86_64.+yyyysssssssssyyyyy+. Host: Z97X-UD5H
    /syyyyyssssssssssyyyyys- Kernel: 4.14.69-1-lts
    /yhyyyyysss++ssosyyyyhhy/ Uptime: 2 hours, 41 mins
    .ohhhyyyyso++/+oso+syy+shhhho. Packages: 1467 (pacman)
    .shhhhysoo++//+sss+++yyy+shhhhs. Shell: bash 4.4.23
    -yhhhhs+++++++ossso+++yyys+ohhddy: Terminal: /dev/pts/0
    -yddhhyo+++++osyyss++++yyyyooyhdddy- CPU: Intel i7-4790K (8) @ 4.300GHz
    .yddddhso++osyyyyys+++++yyhhsoshddddyGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GBodddddhyosyhyyyyyy++++++yhhhyosddddddo Memory: 1834MiB / 32048MiB

and

pacman -Q | grep cinnamon
    antergos-cinnamon-meta 1.1-1
    cinnamon 3.8.8-1
    cinnamon-control-center 3.8.1-1
    cinnamon-desktop 3.8.1-1
    cinnamon-menus 3.8.2-1
    cinnamon-screensaver 3.8.2-2
    cinnamon-session 3.8.2-1
    cinnamon-settings-daemon 3.8.4-1
    cinnamon-translations 3.8.2-1

The desktop takes close to 2 min to appear, desktop icons/conky take additional ~2 mins to appear after boot. Nemo takes really long to open. Any help in troubleshooting is appreciated.

jimmy

• @seekjimmyg run these in terminal
    systemd-analyze
    systemd-analyze blame
    systemd-analyze critical-chain
    also after a clean reboot don’t open anything, let it load till you think it’s done then open .xsession-errors

archmid-2016.06.23-x86_64.iso xfce/nvidia

• @trytip Thanks for providing a way to troubleshoot. From the systemd-analyze blame I was able to figure out 2 drives were not connected to the system but systemd was trying to automount it. I have lines in fstab such as noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=20…so booting is quicker. Normally, without the fstab options I would be able to tell during boot that the 2 drives are waiting to get mounted. Look like all is back to normal now after connecting the drives.

some lines from .xsession-errors…
    A lot of this------Cinnamon warning: Log level 128: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) and this
    Cairo.Surface is leaking, programmer is missing a call to Dispose
    What are the above two supposed to mean? Just curious…

Thanks again for your helpful tips to fix the issue.

• the .xsession-errors file is a mystery not yet solved by anyone developer. seems some is useful information some gibberish code dumps and some package logs. i’ll usually decide on one thing to search and try to fix, but seems as soon as one thing may disappear from the list another one will replace it

the best thing to do is to open the file after a clean reboot or loggout then .xsession-errors is fresh and check the size. check the size again after about an hour or two and see if there’s anyone entry that spams the log.

archmid-2016.06.23-x86_64.iso xfce/nvidia

• @trytip ok. Thanks. I will keep an eye of the file.

slow28 iconnemo1 cinnamondesktop1 Posts 5Views 111
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.