• Thermal problem since latest kernel update, how to downgade?

Since the latest kernel update to kernel 4.18.6, my system ( Intel i7-7700, Nvidia GTX 1060) is running massively hotter, it idles at 65°C, with the previous kernel 4.18.5, the idle temp was around 45°c. As I fear that the massively higher temperatures will damage my hardware, i’d like to downgrade the kernel. Any sugggestions how to do that?
    J.

• @jeannie____
    Install package downgrade and use it.

Or if possible, try the LTS kernel:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts
    sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers  # optional

and reboot to it.

• Will this install/downgrade the appropriate drivers ( e.g. Nvidia) too?
    Or should I wait for the next kernel upgrade? I doubt that I am alone with this issue.
    J.

• And before someone asks: Yes, the fans are in working condition, the heat sinks were cleaned today, fresh thermal paste was applied today too.
    J.

• @jeannie____
    If you have dkms versions of the drivers, then I think it should be OK.
    But haven’t tried it…

• @jeannie____
    Well, is linux-lts possible?

• I do not know if the package “nvidia” from the repos installs a dkms version.
    And afaik, 4.14 doesn’t fully support all functions of my CPU and will make the processor use more power.
    J.

• @jeannie____
    Which nvidia package(s) do you have?

• I installed the packages “nvidia” , “nvidia-settings” and “nvidia-utils”
    J.

• @jeannie____
    Then just replace nvidia with nvidia-dkms (and install linux-headers if you don’t have them yet). If it works, then you could downgrade the kernel.

• That stuff worked without overheating before the kernel was upgraded, so I am supposed to install an older kernel and a different gpu driver to fix things I haven’t caused?
    J.

• @jeannie____
    Well, you asked for it… ;)

• Where do I report a kernel bug in Antergos?
    J.

• @jeannie____
    The kernel is from Arch, so there I guess.

• But I am using Antergos, so the Arch devs won’t accept my bug report.

• @jeannie____
    You may find a bug report by searching… Don’t however know if anyone has already filed one.

• Noticed something else, my fans are being turned off under 65°c cpu temp.
    J.

• Next question: Installed linux-lts and linux-lts-headers. Shouldn’t that remove the linux and linux-headers packages?
    J.

• Update: Even with linux-lts installed my system boots into kernel 4.18.6.
    J.

• linux kernel latest will stay installed, and also stay as default boot option, you will need to choose LTS manually on grub boot menu “Antergos advanced options”

nvidia-dkms will make use of dkms and build modules for all installed kernels, it will also update them automatic on new kernel installs and updates.

kernel126 downgade1 thermal1 Posts 26Views 675
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.