• Solved - Problem with Cinnamon DE

Hello,
    I’ve just completed a fresh install of Antergos with Cinnamon DE. I completed a system update after install as well.

I’ve noted a few problems I am hoping to get help with:

First: when I attempt to install Nvidia drivers, cinnamon reverts to software rendering with an error stating that hardware acceleration is not available. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

Second: when I attempt to add applets to the Cinnamon panel it messes up the whole configuration (the other items move all over the place) and the new applet is not installed. I noted that another online review also mentioned this problem. Again, has anyone else experience this? Any ideas how to make Cinnamon behave as expected?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I am impresses with the speed of this distro so far and like the visual appearance of all elements.

• Hello,
    I’ve just completed a fresh install of Antergos with Cinnamon DE. I completed a system update after install as well.

I’ve noted a few problems I am hoping to get help with:

First: when I attempt to install Nvidia drivers, cinnamon reverts to software rendering with an error stating that hardware acceleration is not available. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

Second: when I attempt to add applets to the Cinnamon panel it messes up the whole configuration (the other items move all over the place) and the new applet is not installed. I noted that another online review also mentioned this problem. Again, has anyone else experience this? Any ideas how to make Cinnamon behave as expected?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I am impresses with the speed of this distro so far and like the visual appearance of all elements.

• Nvidia can be problematic.
    As for any issues they may be fixed if you changed your session on the login (you may notice there is something that says cinnamon when you log in, on that button is a pulldown menu to select your session)

• Thanks for the reply,
    I couldn’t find the session selection menu you mentioned in the login screen…not sure why.

I reinstalled Nvidia and reset cinnamon to default. I then reapplied the antergos theme and it is working now. _

The only nvidia error I am now experience has to do with Steam. (“OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering”) Which may be related to the Cinnamon issue I had? This doesn’t seem to be related to the DE so I will post for help elsewhere.

In case someone stumbles onto this - I can work-around the steam issue by starting Steam in the terminal with “DRI_PRIME=1 LD_PRELOAD=”/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1" ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh steam"_

• Could be driver related, I don’t use steam so I’m unsure the cause there

• I was having the opengl issue as well. When I installed lib32-nvidia-libgl it seemed of fixed all of my problems. Hopefully, this is helpful.

• That solved my problem with steam - thank you.

Posts 7Views 1761