• Nouveau vs Nvidia?

Using GDM, I seem to have two choices. Either use Wayland and the nouveau driver or xorg and Nvidia (or nouveau), right?

Some questions:

Any advantages using Wayland over xorg?
    Is still the Nvidia driver clearly best or is the Nouveau driver catching up?

• Hi,

Wayland has grown the past years, but for me it isn’t quite there yet. Although Wayland is growing towards Xorg, I see no advantage using it over Xorg. The main problem is that most apps will have to use the Xorg to Wayland tool to work under Wayland and not every app works seemlessly with it. I think if more apps will run Wayland natively, it will be a more smooth ride. Also, but this is problably hardware related, I don’t like the screen colour and saturation under Wayland, they’re more pale and blue in comparison with Xorg, where the colours are more vibrant.
    Again these are more my experiences and findings, because Wayland is a workable environment and therefore I wouldn’t claim it as rubbish or not workable, just as not being there yet.
    As for Nouveau vs NVIDIA: It depends what you do with your computer. If you are mainly watching online streaming content, like Youtube, Netflix etc. and playing light games, then Nouveau is doing its job very well. If you’re an avid gamer, NVIDIA is the more superior.

• @Bryanpwo is right IMO.

Any advantages using Wayland over xorg?

I do not notice major differences. Except for screen recorders / screenshot apps, which still happen not to work with Wayland.

Is still the Nvidia driver clearly best or is the Nouveau driver catching up?

If there’s an NVIDIA driver which works with your card, there’s no use in choosing Nouveau.

• Also note that since Nouveau is reverse-engeneered project, it doesn’t fully support all important features of NVIDIA cards. And this probably means also that it lets your card perform harder for doing the same tasks which are handled more efficiently by the official driver. On the long term, this could potentially mean your GPU will wear out faster, although I’ve never experienced a graphic card dying on me.

If you use your PC just for low graphical use (so no gaming or video editing), Nouveau is a good choice. It’s also better integrated in DE’s. With Nvidia, you have to perform some tweaks to for example get rid of screen tearing.

The best solution is to get an AMD card and use MESA driver

• Ok, thx for your answers… I have always tried to buy Nvidia graphic cards when buying a computer and always used the Nvidia driver. But I am not a heavy graphic user, I am a developer but I just like to take advantage of my hardware by using the best driver.
    But based on your input, I will start by disabling Wayland and use the Nouveau driver and see how this works… :)

• @bjorntj said in Nouveau vs Nvidia?:

and use the Nouveau driver

No idea on how to discourage you more…

• @piotr said in Nouveau vs Nvidia?:

@bjorntj said in Nouveau vs Nvidia?:

and use the Nouveau driver

No idea on how to discourage you more…

I probably will move to Nvidia in the not so distant future, so no reasons to despair… ;)

• I’m sure you will.

nvidia152 nouveau17 Posts 8Views 584
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.