• Aurman no longer supported!

Just noticed that the aurman developer is no more willing to update it publicly.
    See more at
    https://github.com/polygamma/aurman

• thanks for info… so looks like yay will be the most easy solution then…

• Thanks for the info, as said in the forum discussion in your link; Let this be a wise lesson and reminder for us all, just show your respect and most importantly, patience to the people who create and maintain apps/distro’s, no matter how frustrated you are at that moment.

• Hi,

I’m afraid I contributed to polygamma fustration, by adding aurman to Antergos and not updating it as often as I should. There was a bug that make automatic updates not working, so I had to update aurman manually, and I kept forgetting about it.

Anyway, yay package does update itself automatically in our build server, so it shoudn’t be any problems with it.

And yes, we will use yay as aur helper by default in new Antergos installations.

Cheers!

• @karasu i am totally fine with this ✌ 👌 👍

• Do you think pamac (when configured to support AUR & updates) is good as an AUR helper/manager?

• With pamac you are not able to edit PKGBUILD files and also problematic on some more possible features PKGBUILD can offer.

(As far as I know)

So in some cases you will need a helper outside the biosphere of pamac 😏

• @joekamprad said in Aurman no longer supported!:

With pamac you are not able to edit PKGBUILD

We always have makepkg. Actually I never edit PKGBUILD while using aurman / trizen / yay.

• @piotr yes me too but we are common on pure archlinux tasks ;)

• @joekamprad said in Aurman no longer supported!:

yes me too but we are common on pure archlinux tasks

Right, but on the other hand - you made me think. I looked up all my “Foreign” packages. Found 30. 24 after subtracting my own + their dependencies. Believe me or not: I’ve never ever seen their PKGBUILD. Usually I only need AUR helpers other than pamac in scripts, like Tint2 executors.

• @piotr
    Yes, it is a good idea to check your foreign packages e.g. with command

pacman -Qm

Some of them may really be just leftovers from some previous installs, and they are not actually needed and can be removed. But if you remove any, make sure to check that it is not needed (additionally even writing down the name you are about to remove, just in case).

• Actually, Arch devs sometimes just move a previously official package to AUR. They probably have good reasons for doing it, but they do not advertise it much.
    And sometimes even an AUR package are deleted from AUR.

So at least those scenarios can easily leave unsupported packages to a system, which is not a very good thing.

• @manuel said in Aurman no longer supported!:

Some of them may really be just leftovers from some previous installs, and they are not actually needed and can be removed.

I think you mean orphans. “Foreign” I understand as coming from AUR or installed directly.

Arch devs sometimes just move a previously official package to AUR.

You’re right. Some time ago mkdocs stopped working for me, due to dependencies moved to AUR.

• @piotr
    Yes, foreign packages are all packages that are not from the official repos.
    They are installed using related tools, like makepkg or yay.
    Anyway, pacman can see them as installed, but has not installed them.

longer12 supported4 aurman3 Posts 14Views 730
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.