• Black Screen on AMD Ryzen 7 2700U

Hello there,

I have tried to install Antergos on my new Thinkpad A485 with a Ryzen 7 2700U APU. Got the latest Image from the Homepage and made a Bootable USB with Etcher.

When i select “Antergos Live System (USB)” i get the Error About EFI

Error loading \EFI\archiso\vmlinuz: Not found
    Failed to execute Antergos Live System (USB) (\EFI\archiso\vmlinuz: Not found)
    Failed to start loader.efi (14) Not Found

On some Suggestions about this EFI Error i tried to go with “Antergos Live System (CD/DVD)” but there i run just in a Black Screen.

What can i do to solve this Issue? Any suggestions? (I’m Quite new again to Linux on Desktop/Laptop use)

• do you have secure boot disabled in EFI-Firmware/Bios ?

• Yes Secure Boot is Disabled.

• looks more like a problem that system do not get the right device to boot…

may it helps to try another usb port

• I changed the USB Stick and also the Slot was still the same Problem. Was going now again in BIOS and changed Booting from EFI to Legacy.

Now i get directly into the Selection Screen of Antergos (the blue one with help, language, keyboard and stuff)

When i now select “Start Antergos Live” it’s loading the Kernel and after it going into Black Screen and Nothing happen again :(

I checked the USB-Stick and Image on my Desktop PC where i get into the Live CD Screen to Install Antergos (also was able to Surf with the Chromium Browser).

PS: I wanted to Upload or Link Images here but always get an Error “error” and sometimes a 503 Error.

• I started with the nogui Mode and got a Kernel Panic from the “kernel panic not syncing” timer doesn’t work through" now i started the Live CD Again with “noapic” and got into the GUI with the Installation Process.

• @surtic86 said in Black Screen on AMD Ryzen 7 2700U:

PS: I wanted to Upload or Link Images here but always get an Error “error” and sometimes a 503 Error.

you can insert link to hosted image also… if mage is to big or not supported format you get error on using the upload icon from forum…

• @joekamprad Thanks

After this and the Mirror List Problem i installed Antergos.

Now it’s having Trouble with Booting Up.

Loading linux kernel ...
    Loading initial ramdisk ...

When i look into the GRUP Script “e” i see there

initrd /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img

Looks a bit Wrong because i don’t have a Intel CPU…? (or is it something else?)

Should i open a new Thread with this Error?

intel-ucode

hm… Archwiki say:

For AMD processors, install the amd-ucode package.

may @karasu is still around and can give a hint here?

initrd /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img

you are maybe able to edit the entry from grub-menu and remove it:

initrd  /initramfs-linux.img

if you are able to boot then install amd-ucode and uninstall intel-ucode

• @joekamprad With just

initrd  /initramfs-linux.img

It won’t load… hanging in “Loading initial ramdisk …”

• Hi,

Cnchi won’t add noapic so I’m afraid that it’s up to you to add it to /etc/default/grub.conf (and remember to update your grub with grub-mkconfig).

By the way, adding intel-code by default it won’t do any harm, it will just don’t load if it detects it’s an AMD cpu (afaik).

Cheers!

• Oh i completely forgot about the “noapic” on the Kernel after the Installation.

Now i have a running System. Thanks for your fast Support!

• Where would be the right place to disscuss the “Missing” ucode Segment for AMD in the “/etc/grub.d/10_antergos” Config?

Right now there is just one for Intel. (for me i have changed it by my own… but i think it would bee good to see there AMD too? Or is AMD so Stable that they don’t need it? ;)

intel_ucode=
    if test -e "/boot/intel-ucode.img" ; then
        gettext_printf "Found INTEL Microcode image\n" >&2
        intel_ucode="$(make_system_path_relative_to_its_root /boot/intel-ucode.img)"
    fi```
  • Came to the forum to post a question about this issue, and it looks I’m not the only one. Since I and my wife really like antergos (yes, OS has some issues, but it’s still great), she asked to install antergos on her laptop (currently running Mint).

Downloaded v18.9 yesterday, created bootable USB, booted and… exactly the same error:

Error loading \EFI\archiso\vmlinuz: Not found
    Failed to execute Antergos Live System (USB) (\EFI\archiso\vmlinuz: Not found)
    Failed to start loader.efi (14) Not Found

I don’t think it’s a problem with your system. The laptop I used is Lenovo E50-80 with Intel i5 CPU, and it’s surely not secure boot fault. Secure boot was enabled during my first installation attempt, and I didn’t even come close to boot screen. Laptop simply displayed message “this boot is not supported” or something similar and refused to even display boot menu. Right after I disabled secure boot, I was able to boot from USB, selected “Antergos Live System (USB)” and… the same error as yours.

Thankfully, I can at least load installer when selecting “Antergos Live System CD/DVD”, but I didn’t proceed to actual installation yet. But, according to complains at the forum, installer won’t work anyways because of meta download bug in 18.9. SO I guess my choice is to use 18.8 now.

P.S. Was initial boot menu changed in 18.9. I installed antergos on 2 computers in the past (I think v18.4 and 18.6) and I never saw boot menu with so many options as now. However, installations were performed on desktop computers, and this time I’m dping it on laptop, maybe that’s the reason boot menu is totally different?

• @toxpal said in Black Screen on AMD Ryzen 7 2700U:

Thankfully, I can at least load installer when selecting “Antergos Live System CD/DVD”, but I didn’t proceed to actual installation yet. But, according to complains at the forum, installer won’t work anyways because of meta download bug in 18.9. SO I guess my choice is to use 18.8 now.

It works if you edit /etc/pacman.conf and enable the multilib repo, like this:

[multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

P.S. Was initial boot menu changed in 18.9. I installed antergos on 2 computers in the past (I think v18.4 and 18.6) and I never saw boot menu with so many options as now. However, installations were performed on desktop computers, and this time I’m dping it on laptop, maybe that’s the reason boot menu is totally different?

Yes, it’s a new version. A lot of changes, and a nasty bug (multilib being disabled).

black69 amd32 ryzen5 2700u1 Posts 17Views 932
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.