• Facility to download updates now and install them on shutdown

I saw that Antergos now informs you via a new popup that updates may require a reboot. I’m very tidy regarding updates. Everytime I get updates notification (which is always after my first boot-of-the-day) I immediately install them. This caused me quite a few issues when an hour later or so things subtly did not work as expected (like plugging in a USB stick which would not work). The new notification now more or less urges me to do a double boot.

What I’d like to have is, that I can turn on my laptop, review & acknowledge updates when I’m prompted with them but then continue to work. Ideally the update prompt would allow me to say: “Yep – download this set of updates now and remind/ask me shutdown to install them”. Quite similar to the WSUS behavior.

Would Gnome shell allow the required hooks within the shutdown entry?

• @bentolor
    That sounds like an interesting idea! But…

But be aware that, as in any rolling release, updates may cause issues. Combined that to having had unattended updates a week ago sounds like a potentially dangerous combination. Not saying it couldn’t be done, but personally I probably wouldn’t want to use that feature.

Sorry to discourage anyone, just wanted to give my two cents.

• But be aware that, as in any rolling release, updates may cause issues.

@manuel indeed: Updates may cause issues, but I never experienced them during installation – only after installing & rebooting. And in those cases I really struggled more th 30~45minutes to find out how to download & roll back an old package version in contrast to the convenient „Install these updates“ UI.

I think the point against “unattended updates” is, that it installs something without the user being aware about the specific changes. I think this does not apply to this proposal.

• @bentolor
    Maybe I misunderstood you. Lets be as exact as possible.

Do you mean a feature that would let you configure updates of a normal, installed system so that downloading updates and updating are two separate actions?
    And the updating part would happen only when shutting down?

If so, a practical problem is the situation that you let updates run when shutting down, and leave for a weekend trip.
    Then, after the trip you start the machine again and find it is no more booting (unfortunately not unheard of with a rolling release). At least I probably wouldn’t remember what the updates were when trying to figure out a solution.

Note also that as Antergos (and Arch) do not support partial updates, the tools do install updates right after successfully downloading all related packages.

But I suppose something similar that you want (as I see it) can be done using e.g. systemd services, combined with either pacman or pamac-updater programs.

• @manuel
    The problem you describe depends on how often the user let Pacman/Pamac search for updates. If it is on a daily or hourly bases, then looking for the culprate update wouldn’t be a hard task, since the scene the OP described, that the updates that don’t need a reboot are already installed and while shutting down the updates that need a reboot are installed. Those updates aren’t large in numbers in that situation, but for those who update on a weekly bases, it could be problematic.
    The suggestion of @bentolor could be a very handy feature, only if you can manually enable it.

• @bryanpwo
    I have nothing against implementing that feature, as long as it is not a must.

Maybe someone should implement it and test it for a while and report here about the results, whether good or bad. But count me out of volunteers for this… ;)

• By the way, you can just download updates with command:

sudo pacman -Syyuw

It doesn’t install them. Later you can give command

sudo pacman -Syu

to install all updates.

Usings any hooks to automate this is left as a home assignment. ;)

updates58 download31 shutdown29 facility1 Posts 7Views 252
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.