• Eat logs!

Hi all!

Started a new thread after https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10579/how-to-show-logs, since there’s a new tool available (for the same purpose).

You can install the new tool called eat to your system with terminal commands:

wget -q https://github.com/manuel-192/eat/raw/master/PKGBUILD
    makepkg -sic

Another way to install, also checking the sha512sum first:

wget -q https://github.com/manuel-192/Antergos/raw/master/Antergos-packages/eat-0.1.8-1-any.pkg.tar.xz{,.sha512}
    sha512sum -c eat-0.1.8-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sha512 && sudo pacman -U eat-0.1.8-1-any.pkg.tar.xz          # installs the package!

The above will install eat application as /usr/bin/eat.

Here are some examples of how to use the tool for sending certain Antergos logs to the pastebin service on the Internet. The pastebin service then returns a web link (URL) that you e.g. can show here.

For example, sending the output of the lsusb command to pastebin is like this:

lsusb | eat -send  "here's my lsusb"

or likewise, the output of lspci -vnn:

lspci -vnn | eat -send "here's my lspvi -vnn"

You can also combine the output of multiple tools and send all of them to pastebin like this:

lsusb | eat
    lspci | eat -send "both lsusb and lspci"

So the basic operations (but not all) of eat are:

• just save (combine) the output of a command: eat without options
    • eat the preceding command output and send it (command eat -send “<description>”)

The description above is optional, but useful, since info about each send is saved.

Highlights of the tool:

• the tool automatically hides user specific information ($LOGNAME, $USER, $HOSTNAME) before sending it to the internet
    • information (date, returned URL, user description) about each send is automatically saved for later inspection
    • you may just save the output without sending, and send it later, or just delete it

In the following (a bit more advanced) example, first the output of lspci -vnn is saved by ‘eat’, then ‘eat’ shows what it has eaten (with option -show). And if you decide to send it, the third command eat -send2 “myresults” sends the info to pastebin.

lspci -vnn | eat         # save, don't send yet!
    eat -show                # see what 'eat' has saved
    eat -send2 "my results"  # send the info to the pastebin (if it is OK for you)

Note the usage of option -send2 instead of -send.
    As opposed to option -send, option -send2 is used when data is no more read from the standard input. If data is read from the standard input, then option -send must be used.

If you (after the second command above) decide you don’t want to send it, you can delete the saved info with command:

eat -clean

Actually it is a good idea to run ‘eat -clean’ in the beginning of a session just in case there are some leftovers from previous sessions.

Other options:

• -help gives some usage help
    • -hide hides user specific information from the saved file (not really necessary since hiding is always done before sending)

Still more examples to go:

lsusb | eat -send "my lsusb"

lsusb | eat
    eat -send2 "another lsusb"

lsusb | eat
    lspci | eat
    journalctl -b -0 | eat
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | eat -send "many outputs"

• Soon updating the tool on github…

• Oooooh… this truly looks like a promising, helpful tool for Linux newbies!

Thank you so much @manuel :)

• By the way, it is already on github… :)

• Ooooooh… now this is something I’ll have to bookmark I think :)

• @keegan
    You think? ;)

And yes, you are right, it may help some newcomers – and even non-newcomers but lazy people… :)

‘eat’ could come pre-installed on a new installation… then people could easily ‘eat’. ;)

• ‘eat’ could come pre-installed on a new installation… then people could easily ‘eat’. 😉

I was actually thinking the same thing! Especially in the ISO, where installation questions occur :) .

Thank you so much for this @manuel!

• @keegan said in Eat logs!:

Especially in the ISO

That’s very true! Probably many failed installs could have easily been sent for us to see using this tool.

What would @developers think about having it on the ISO as a simple helping tool?

• Hi all!
    A new version 0.1.8 of eat is available!
    Now your logs can be shown easier then ever! 😉

• @manuel said in Eat logs!:

pacman -U eat-0.1.8-1-any.pkg.tar.xz.sha512 # installs the package!

minor typo, should be:

pacman -U eat-0.1.8-1-any.pkg.tar.xz  # installs the package!

• @opensas
    Thanks for the heads up! Fixed in in the first post.

logs15 eat1 Posts 11Views 669
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.