• Eat logs!

Hi all!

Started a new thread after https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10579/how-to-show-logs, since there’s a new tool available (for the same purpose).

You can install the new tool called eat to your system with terminal commands:

wget -q https://github.com/manuel-192/eat/raw/master/PKGBUILD
    makepkg -sic

The above will install eat application as /usr/bin/eat.

Here are some examples of how to use the tool for sending certain Antergos logs to the pastebin service on the Internet. The pastebin service then returns a web link (URL) that you e.g. can show here.

For example, sending the output of the lsusb command to pastebin is like this:

lsusb | eat -send  "here's my lsusb"

or likewise, the output of lspci -vnn:

lspci -vnn | eat -send "here's my lspvi -vnn"

You can also combine the output of multiple tools and send all of them to pastebin like this:

lsusb | eat
    lspci | eat -send "both lsusb and lspci"

So the basic operations (but not all) of eat are:

• just save (combine) the output of a command: eat without options
    • eat the preceding command output and send it (command eat -send “<description>”)

The description above is optional, but useful, since info about each send is saved.

Highlights of the tool:

• the tool automatically hides user specific information before sending it to the internet
    • information about each send is automatically saved for later inspection
    • you may just save the output without sending, and send it later, or just delete it

In the following (a bit more advanced) example, first the output of lspci -vnn is saved by ‘eat’, then ‘eat’ shows what it has eaten (with option -show). And if you decide to send it, the third command eat -send2 “myresults” sends the info to pastebin.

lspci -vnn | eat         # save, don't send yet!
    eat -show                # see what 'eat' has saved
    eat -send2 "my results"  # send the info to the pastebin (if it is OK for you)

Note the usage of option -send2 instead of -send.
    As opposed to option -send, option -send2 is used when data is no more read from the standard input. If data is read from the standard input, then option -send must be used.

If you (after the second command above) decide you don’t want to send it, you can delete the saved info with command:

eat -clean

Actually it is a good idea to run ‘eat -clean’ in the beginning of a session just in case there are some leftovers from previous sessions.

Other options:

• -help gives some usage help
    • -hide hides user specific information from the saved file (not really necessary since hiding is always done before sending)

Still more examples to go:

lsusb | eat -send "my lsusb"

lsusb | eat
    eat -send2 "another lsusb"

lsusb | eat
    lspci | eat
    journalctl -b -0 | eat
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | eat -send "many outputs"

• Soon updating the tool on github…

• Oooooh… this truly looks like a promising, helpful tool for Linux newbies!

Thank you so much @manuel :)

• By the way, it is already on github… :)

• Ooooooh… now this is something I’ll have to bookmark I think :)

• @keegan
    You think? ;)

And yes, you are right, it may help some newcomers – and even non-newcomers but lazy people… :)

‘eat’ could come pre-installed on a new installation… then people could easily ‘eat’. ;)

• ‘eat’ could come pre-installed on a new installation… then people could easily ‘eat’. 😉

I was actually thinking the same thing! Especially in the ISO, where installation questions occur :) .

Thank you so much for this @manuel!

• @keegan said in Eat logs!:

Especially in the ISO

That’s very true! Probably many failed installs could have easily been sent for us to see using this tool.

What would @developers think about having it on the ISO as a simple helping tool?

logs12 eat1 Posts 8Views 512
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.