• Update check from package manger gui equal to upgrading system?

The arch wiki states that we should periodically upgrade the system.

Since I am new to rolling release I am a bit unsure but I assume the package manager gui does this frequently already? Or does the package manager gui just use the pacman -Syu command? Do I need to upgrade the system differently?

It is kinda confusing to me that there is even an option to only update a single package with its dependencies without updating correspoding packages as well (partial upgrade via pacman -Sy). Basically pacman -Syu equals aptitude update && upgrade because both check if dependencies are met throughout the system?
    And dist-upgrade is not needed in rolling release right?

• @wandang
    Antergos is a rolling release system, and it does not support partial upgrades.
    So you’ll update your system (or nothing if there are issues) typically with one of the following commands:

sudo pacman -Syu   # updates all packages
    sudo pacman -Syyuu # same, and updates package infos, and may even downgrade
    pamac-updater      # the GUI updater (a.k.a. pamac)

Then there are those AUR packages (user supported, but not officially supported). They can be used at your own risk. But pacman cannot update them, so you need to use one of the AUR helpers like aurman or yay, or configure pamac to handle also AUR packages.

This command comparison may also help you: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

• Wait, so pamac gives me the ability to install aur if prechecked on install but cannot maintain the packages after install? Wow. That seems counter-intuitive? I will look into yay then as well.

But my main (implied) question still stands (or I am too dumb right now). Is the automatic pamac update procedure not enough to keep the system updated?

Thanks for the clearup!

• My bad. I just read your linked article which clearly states that -Syu is both update and upgrade.

Furtermore apparently yay was already installed. So I assume the package manager is incorperating yay already. I will observe the version of visual studio code. If it does not update the package by itself I will work myself into yay.

Thanks for the help!

• and pamac is good to go for regular system updates… it can fail on some issues special on AUR Builds, but it can handle both for sure (Regular Repo packages and AUR)

So if you install visual studio from AUR it will be updated regular if PKGBUILD changes on AUR.

• @wandang
    Yes, @joekamprad is right. Because Antergos is a rolling release, there’s no real separation between update and upgrade in the sense of some other distros.

And pacman -Syu is basically used for updating/upgrading the system (as well as pamac).

Another question is AUR. Now pacman is not designed to manage AUR packages.
    Pamac can be configured to manage also AUR packages.

And there are lots of other AUR helpers for managing AUR packages.
    See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers

BTW, I’d recommend using AUR packages only if there’s no official alternative and you really need the features of the AUR version.
    As you know, AUR packages are not officially supported.

• @manuel said in Update check from package manger gui equal to upgrading system?:

BTW, I’d recommend using AUR packages only if there’s no official alternative and you really need the features of the AUR version.
    As you know, AUR packages are not officially supported.

On the other hand: decisions on which packages get to official repos are arbitrary. For instance: the mkdocs package (AUR) stopped working for me lately, since some of their dependencies had been moved from Community back to AUR (re-installing them helped of course). Another example: does anybody know why the hell the python2-pygame package there’s in the Extra repo, whereas the python3 version is still in AUR? It doesn’t make much sense to me. I’m talking about vanilla Arch repos, but I bet similar situations must concern all Arch-based distributions.

pacman122 upgrade81 newbie22 Posts 7Views 480
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.