• Unusable Antergos

Hello
    Yesterday I updated my systems and I think there was a kernel update too. Today (after rebooting) I can’t reach my DE. I am thrown on a screen saying “a problem occured” with a log out button that I cannot press with the mouse cursor as there isn’t one, but pressing enter did pressed the button. The through me in a black blank screen and from there I could drop into console mode by alt+ctrl+f2 etc. From there I searched the cache for previous kernel packages and installed one (I think it was 3.15.5-2). I did nothing additional to that. After rebooting, I cannot go any further that the “problem occured” screen and enter doesn’t press the log out button any more.
    Is there a way I can solve this issue? Also, how can one tell grub not to try to load the DE at all, and go straight to the console mode?
    Thanks!

• Hello
    Yesterday I updated my systems and I think there was a kernel update too. Today (after rebooting) I can’t reach my DE. I am thrown on a screen saying “a problem occured” with a log out button that I cannot press with the mouse cursor as there isn’t one, but pressing enter did pressed the button. The through me in a black blank screen and from there I could drop into console mode by alt+ctrl+f2 etc. From there I searched the cache for previous kernel packages and installed one (I think it was 3.15.5-2). I did nothing additional to that. After rebooting, I cannot go any further that the “problem occured” screen and enter doesn’t press the log out button any more.
    Is there a way I can solve this issue? Also, how can one tell grub not to try to load the DE at all, and go straight to the console mode?
    Thanks!

• Hi,

At the bottom of the grub menu you should see what to add to the kernel command line to boot into console. Just press " e " to edit the kernel command. The command starts with this:

linux /vmlinuz-linux root=

I would try reinstalling the latest version after clearing your cache like this

su  
    pacman -Scc  
    pacman -Syyu  
    \#then just to be sure...  
    mkinitcpio -p linux

Good luck

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Hello and thanks for the reply. Unofrtunatelly, I couldn’t resolve the issue.
    I tried entering 3,4 and 5 after the “quiet” word in the line that you suggested in order to enter init levels 3,4 and 5 (isn’t that the way it’s done?) and also I couldn’t figure out how else to enter console mode. What should I be entering instead?
    The problem is that I have no internet connection when entering console mode this way as the ethernet goes to my modem is not working (ON), so the pacman -Syyu command can’t resolve host and can’t download package info

I suppose that the error message that I get when trying to enter graphical environment is from Gnome Shell but I also have KDE installed. How could I access / log in to KDE?

Thanks again

• The command you have to input in the place of “quiet” is:

It is listed at the bottom of the grub boot menu (if you are using the default Antergos grub theme). Once you log in you can connect to your wifi network using wifi-menu command. Just run it like this:sudo wifi-menu

Once you have a connection you can proceed with my previous instructions

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1439