• Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?

@piotr
    Install Antergos instead of Arch. Because it sets everything ready for use right after install.

• @fernandomaroto I agree. There is one additional aspect. Antergos can run faster on older machines even with respect to a Windows 10 version, even compared to a Linux Mint.

• @fernandomaroto said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Install Antergos instead of Arch. Because it sets everything ready for use right after install.

If you mean the relative girl’s (or any other usual user’s) laptop, it’ll be Antergos for sure. If it comes to me, I like DIY sets. That’s why I use vanilla Arch.

• @zoli62 said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Antergos can run faster on older machines

Sure, it gives you all the Arch speed and simplicity.

• @piotr said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

@zoli62 said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Antergos can run faster on older machines

Sure, it gives you all the Arch speed and simplicity.

I could even have written Debian as a comparasion, and then we came back to the topic title.

• @zoli62

Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?

Arch:
    Hard to install untill you’re used to the process, however the very same steps teach you how to solve some possible issues. I mean: you learn how to install grub, create partitions, generate initramfs, install kenels, play with fstab, system language etc.
    System super fast, only load what you choosen to, huge repositories and AUR (superior to *buntu one)

Debian:
    I consider debian a little frustrating, considering their small repository. I know ther repos has a lot of packages, but i really doubt i’ll find all the packages i can add in my Arch-based system directly from official repos.
    Also when you think the install process is done, you’d still need to remove the “cd repository” from debian mirrors in order to be able to install packages from the internet; add new repost to have more packages. When i first installed debian i had no idea how to change these things…
    If i decided to install “Debian” i’d probably use a debian-based distro like sparkylinux, which is ready to go…

Slackware
    I installed long time ago; it was hard for me, begginer, when i first tested it. Too many package managers, with and without GUI interface (dialog based). The idea of compiling packages was tempting due the argument “Your entire system will be much faster, and programs will run smooth”, but the process was also boring and complicated for a begginer.

Gentoo
    Only tried in VM and never managed to install it; yes i’m newbie…

Not sure if i can add other system since your question is about “Old Linux Distros”

• @fernandomaroto At a time I first saw Red Hat Linux on a gateway computer. Then came Suse, then Debian for many years. Then, as I became comfortable, I started to use Linux Mint. I installed Manjaro when I discovered after several years that Arch was not as difficult as it seemed at first.
    There were 4 major distributions in the early 2000s: Debian, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake. I was thinking of them in the title of the topic. I have never used Slackware and Gentoo.

• large community, well documented wiki, bleeding edge

• Arch (thus Antergos) has many high speed mirrors in many countries.
    I have almost gigabit connectivity to several local mirrors, many 200-300MB packages take seconds to download (this is by default, without enhancements such as powerpill, aria2).

• I’m not entirely sure if blond, 20 years old, and girl has anything to do with chioce of Linux distro at all.

For a new Linux user choice of DE might be more importand than distro. Don’t get me wrong, it is important, but for a complete Linux noob first impressions are important, and you woulden’t be dooing her a favor if the first thing she meets is OpenBox, or even worse a base install.

My blond 18 years younger girlfrind (no she’s not 20) just hates my KDE, but is in love with her Antergos Deepin laptop wich suits her needs perfectly.

Another thing to think about when it comes to turning people to the dark si… I mean Linux, is installing programs that are what they’re used to, or atleast resembles them.

If the girl in question is an avid gamer she will hate you for a long time.

My personal history is a run in with Red Hat, wich made me stay with windows for a long time. Ten years late I got more curios, and being utterly feed up with Windows spying, I read up and settled for Arch witch I installed as my first serious atempt att Linux. It ran smootley, but…

Subsequently I read more, and wanted Luks encryption, LVM and a separate home partition… and hit a wall, being a total noob.

Having a life, and girlfriend, Ithen looked around and found Antergos wich gave me exactly what I wanted, much easier.

• @mrecks said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

I’m not entirely sure if blond, 20 years old, and girl has anything to do with chioce of Linux distro at all.

So am I, but I don’t care. That’s what they asked me to do.

For a new Linux user choice of DE might be more importand than distro.

You’re absolutely right. I think it’ll be GNOME. No point in installing KDE just to pretend she’s still on Windows.

installing programs that are what they’re used to, or atleast resembles them

Generally LibreOffice should be enough.

If the girl in question is an avid gamer she will hate you for a long time.

Yep, I know. I’ll just install Steam and care no longer.

• @mrecks I agree. For many young beginners, Linux is the same as desktop environment.

• Well that’s it.

0_1535317983828_msi_jagoda.jpg

• And - yes. It went flawlessly.

0_1535325113797_Zrzut ekranu z 2018-08-27 01-10-56.png

I’m really curious if she’s gonna get used to Antergos. This company does not provide Windows installation services.

This company does not provide Windows installation services.

👌

Give a feedback on how steam is working out for her, may i will introduce my 2 “blonde” ones to use it too ;)

• @joekamprad said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Give a feedback on how steam is working out for her

I don’t expect feedback soon, but my laptop is very similar inside, and Steam works well. As well Native as Runtime. At least “The Witcher II” - the only game I played. I only had to disable VSYNC and run the game with optiprime %command%.

Steam works well. As well Native as Runtime

That’s nice, I rmember when i first installed Antergos there wasn’t this 2 packages, and i could only starts steam through terminal with a special option, otherwise steam wouldn’t work. Arch guys quickly adapted Steam package to work, it was a nice thing…

One problem she can find is that not all games are made to run on Linux, But then again, this time there is the Steam proton (AUR for now, but community is voting a lot) which i hope will allow us to run more steam games.

• @fernandomaroto said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

there is the Steam proton (AUR for now, but community is voting a lot) which i hope will allow us to run more steam games

You mean: running games which were not prepared for Linux by their manufacturer? I must take a look at the project, if so. I’d love seeing “The Witcher III” on my machine. :)

By the way: I think Linux may suffer from the same desease as Android does. Users don’t wanna pay for anything at all. I do believe in free and opensource software, but games that cost millions during development will never be free. Isn’t it the reason we have few Linux-ready games on Steam?

You mean: running games which were not prepared for Linux by their manufacturer? I must take a look at the project, if so. I’d love seeing “The Witcher III” on my machine.

Here it goes, as you can see the file was first submited 2018-08-22, i haven’t installed/tested yet.
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/proton/

Users don’t wanna pay for anything at all.

I guess i’m one of them :) and try to make stuff for free too like Portergos in return …

I guess i’m one of them and try to make stuff for free too like Portergos in return

I enjoy writing my stuff for Linux just for fun, in hope it’s useful to someone. However, when I retire, I would like to replace my house in the middle of Polish fields with another one, with windows facing the Atlantic. They do not give them away for free.

Several years ago I tried to make Android my another source of income. There are several paid ones among my Android apps. Cheap but paid. You can find them today in dozens of illegal websites, for free download. This is not fair.

arch51 popular1 distributions1 Posts 42Views 2123
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.