• Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?

I have used Debian for long time, later Linux Mint. Recently, my attention turned to Arch-based distributions. I tried Manjaro now and Antergos too. Surprised by its simplicity and speed. It can be recommended for beginners and advanced users at the same time.

• Basically I agree with @joekamprad. Arch is aimed at geeks, rather than at any broader audience, and among derivatives Antergos is the best choice. However, tomorrow I’m expected to install Linux on the laptop, which belongs to a 20 years old blondie. She spent all here live on Windows, and I’m not sure if she’s gonna care of updates on the daily basis. Do you think I should choose Antergos, or any distro which is not a bleeding edge Linux?

• @piotr i would give her an android tablet ;)

• @joekamprad In exchange for her gaming MSI machine? A tempting offer.

• @piotr
    Probably an iPad is the best choice…
    But if she is a computer geek, then definitely Antergos! ;)

• @piotr said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Basically I agree with @joekamprad. Arch is aimed at geeks, rather than at any broader audience, and among derivatives Antergos is the best choice. However, tomorrow I’m expected to install Linux on the laptop, which belongs to a 20 years old blondie. She spent all here live on Windows, and I’m not sure if she’s gonna care of updates on the daily basis. Do you think I should choose Antergos, or any distro which is not a bleeding edge Linux?

I think that almost all modern desktop Linux distribution suitable for a beginner.

• my wife is not blonde but not in any case geeky or computer affine… and she is very happy with Antergos, fits for all she need… Email Internet streaming shopping chatting office … but my two kids are on gaming and both mostly using windows 10, as some games are not aviable/working out of Linux…
    So Gaming is still an issue under Linux (not special Antergos)

• @zoli62 said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

I think that almost all modern desktop Linux distribution suitable for a beginner.

Probably this will be Antergos, one way or another. I couldn’t stand questions like “What does sudo apt-get mean?”

• @joekamprad said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

my wife is not blonde but not in any case geeky or computer affine… and she is very happy with Antergos, fits for all she need…

I’d have no problem installing Antergos, or even Arch on my wife’s machine. I’d just check updates for her once several days.

I do agree if you call this to somone want to start with Linux by a reason. But if you are a user with no interest in what is happening inside system or behind the shell?

And i think also the popularity of Arch and Archbased Distros is caused by the fast development of hardware in general, there are a lot problems running outdated versions on very new hardware… and a rolling release system is providing latest patches newer kernels and latest libs, extra the AUR is providing patched versions and development versions e.t.c. this is what brings lot of Linux users to Arch.

Old is relative. In my opinion, Arch IS an old distribution. The first release was 2002-3-12 Kernel 2.4.18 See here for complete list. The first Ubuntu release, for example, was Ubuntu 4.10 and was released on 20 October 2004, as per wikipedia. Granted Debian, Slackware, and others are older, but Arch has been around for a while.

I started with Red Hat 7.something. Then Red Hat 8 & 9. Then Fedora Core 1 & 2. I switched to Arch linux in 2005. When Arch was switching to systemd/systemctl I was really busy at work and didn’t have the time or desire to mess with all the manual interventions that went with it. I went back to Fedora Core 20. After the Fedora 28 upgrade, Gnome mouse cursor would just lock up randomly. Not often, but often enough. So about 3 months ago I tried Antergos and the cursor lock up problem was not present at all. I was impressed with how quick Antergos was compared to Fedora 28. I haven’t looked back since.

@zoli62 said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Probably this will be Antergos, one way or another. I couldn’t stand questions like “What does sudo apt-get mean?”

Of course, the question is, who is going to maintain the laptop. Another aspect, however, is that the Arch Wiki is one of the best in all Linux distributions. Many people refer to it elsewhere.

Arch Wiki is one of the best in all Linux distributions.

Very true! But in this certain case the user may be illiterate, I’m afraid. ;)

• @pudge said in Why Arch is popular than many old Linux distributions?:

Old is relative. In my opinion, Arch IS an old distribution. The first release was 2002-3-12 Kernel 2.4.18 See here for complete list. The first Ubuntu release, for example, was Ubuntu 4.10 and was released on 20 October 2004, as per wikipedia. Granted Debian, Slackware, and others are older, but Arch has been around for a while.

I started with Red Hat 7.something. Then Red Hat 8 & 9. Then Fedora Core 1 & 2. I switched to Arch linux in 2005. When Arch was switching to systemd/systemctl I was really busy at work and didn’t have the time or desire to mess with all the manual interventions that went with it. I went back to Fedora Core 20. After the Fedora 28 upgrade, Gnome mouse cursor would just lock up randomly. Not often, but often enough. So about 3 months ago I tried Antergos and the cursor lock up problem was not present at all. I was impressed with how quick Antergos was compared to Fedora 28. I haven’t looked back since.

Unfortunately, the number of characters that can be written in the topics address is limited. Debian was originally written in parentheses Fedora, SUSE, Mandrake, too.

• @manuel Maybe there is a transition between the two. :)

Arch Wiki is one of the best in all Linux distributions.

Very true! But in this certain case the user may be illiterate, I’m afraid. ;)

Explain this more. :) Do you post it as a sys admin or as a average user?

Explain this more. Do you post it as a sys admin or as a average user?

Well, I still mean the Blondie who wants Linux on her machine. If she was my daughter, I’d have no problem to choose a distro, as I’m the sysadmin in my home. If you want more details:

• My stuff: Arch + GNOME + Openbox on my main laptop; Arch + Openbox on the netbook, Chrome OS (beta channel) on my Chromebook; several Android devices (phones, a tablet, Android TV, 2 Android Wear watches); Win10 + Arch + Antergos + other Arch derivatives on VM at the office.
    • My wife: Chromebook
    • Older daughter: dual boot laptop (Win10/Antergos)
    • Younger daughter: Win10 laptop.
  • @piotr Thanks. have the following. Hp Compaq Desktop computer as main: Dual boot Windows 10 and Antergos XFCE. One laptop: HP Compaq triple boot Windows 7 Pro, Linux Mint 18.3, Manjaro Cinnamon. Other laptop: Toshiba Satellite triple boot Windows 7 Pro, Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, Manjaro with more desktops. A queen egg: MacBook Air
    Android phone and Iphone.

Hp Compaq Desktop computer as main

One day I’ll buy a desktop machine again (regular or All-in-One). Some time ago I decided to replace it with a laptop, to be able to take my Android Studio projects to the office. Now this is not a must, since I sync my all job to GitHub or Bitbucket. Whatever this future machine will look like, it’ll be running Arch for sure. :)

arch52 popular1 distributions1 Posts 42Views 2125
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.