• Are these packages still needed?, old plasma 4 packages are being replaced with plasma 5 ones.
    possibly my system is more arch that antergos atm but i removed the kdebase-runtime, kdelibs, kdesudo, polkit-qt4 and everythings working fine.

• @deadite66 said in kdebase-runtime moved to AUR:

Are these packages still needed?

They may not be needed in the first place, but one of the problems it comes with is, that the entire KDE installation is broken because cnchi tries to install kdesudo which requires kdebase-runtime thus resulting in a failure.

• Hi,

This should be fixed by now.

Arch is removing qt4 based packages from their repositories, without any warning.

These are the packages that are affected:

ams
    appmenu-qt4
    chinese-calendar
    clementine
    fbreader
    fcitx-qt4
    freemat
    gambas3-gb-qt4
    gambas3-gb-qt4-ext
    gebabbel
    gnuradio-companion
    hydrogen
    ibus-qt
    keepassx
    keepassx2
    launchy
    libdbusmenu-qt4
    libechonest
    liblastfm-qt4
    liblightdm-qt4
    libmygpo-qt4
    licq
    lmms
    mixxx
    mumble
    murmur
    openssh-askpass
    projectm-jack
    projectm-pulseaudio
    projectm-qt
    qjson
    qmpdclient
    qt4
    qt-assistant-compat
    qtcurve-qt4
    qtiplot
    qwt5
    qwtplot3d
    scribus
    sni-qt
    tipp10
    tuxcards
    v4l2ucp
    x2goclient

It doesn’t mean that they will drop all this, it’s just that if they do not find a qt5 version of them (and sadly, most of them don’t) they will drop them.

• @karasu said in kdebase-runtime moved to AUR:

It doesn’t mean that they will drop all this, it’s just that if they do not find a qt5 version of them (and sadly, most of them don’t) they will drop them.

This is great news. Started using antergos a few months ago and it always worried my why OS contains bundled apps that were not updated for years… Hope they get dropped from upcoming antergos releases shortly…

• Is it fixed?
    I ask because I still have in pamac
    phonon-qt4
    kdebase-runtime
    Is putting them in the ignore list still the best thing to do?

• @firespray said in kdebase-runtime moved to AUR:

Is it fixed?
    I ask because I still have in pamac
    phonon-qt4
    kdebase-runtime
    Is putting them in the ignore list still the best thing to do?

They have been removed from official repositories to the AUR, yes. Use them ONLY if you need them for an application that hasn’t been ported to qt5 (remember that AUR packages are unsupported).

But to be honest, such application should have been ported by now, so it would be better to find another one.

Cheers!

• I’ve been trying to remove them, but pamac will not uninstall them.

Also, should Remove unrequired dependencies be on or off in Pamac?
    would this remove them?

I had this turned on one time with bad results and eventually my desktop and numerous programs were uninstalled.

I figure it safer to ask before haphazardly doing things and making my weekend a disaster.

• @firespray said in kdebase-runtime moved to AUR:

should Remove unrequired dependencies be on or off in Pamac?

Don’t do that (I mean keep it off).

I had this turned on one time with bad results and eventually my desktop and numerous programs were uninstalled.

Yes, that’s what is going to happen.

Cheers!

• @Firespray
    a suitable solution which has worked for a handful of people is in
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10556/phonon-4-10-1-failing-pgp-signature-key
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10550/signature-is-missing-how-to-resolve

Removing phonon-qt4 and kdebase-runtime (and dependent packages) using the command line worked for me.
    But please try this iteratively, so that you establish the set of packages that need to be removed for your particular installation of Antergos.
    If the list of packages includes stuff you require then do not proceed with the removal!

• About a month ago I had some problems with phonon-qt4; don’t ask I couldn’t recall the details if I wanted to. One of the solutions I found was to remove kdebase-runtime, so I did: BAD IDEA!!! it hosed my system, and uninstalled a bunch of stuff and from what I could tell the whole KDE Plasma desktop with it. I reinstalled Antergos with KDE, and never reinstalled kdebase-runtime. So much for Linux’s heralded dependency management system when developers ignore it!

Well, now I can no longer do operations needing root privileges from within dolphin and then some, and well, I don’t want to reinstall kdebase-runtime if it’s going to reintroduce problems, but without kdesudo, life is very difficult, and it is still in the AUR, needs kdebase-runtime… So it begs to ask a few questions:

Does anyone know why KDE needs kdesudo in the first place when there is gksu (an old standard), which I do have installed??? (It’s nearly impossible to get usable info and answers from the KDE people).

Is there a way to make KDE use gksu instead of kdesudo?

I also found gtksu (A QT5 based replacement for gksu) in the AUR and thought it may be of use, but the install failed due to invalid characters.

Is there some other workaround for the problem of dolphin and others asking for root’s password? I am in the wheel group, but that is obviously not enough. Maybe changing or adding an entry to the sudoers file?

Also: I do find it strange and annoying that I would need root privileges for things in usr/share, like icon and wallpaper folders and some other stuff that should be safe to add files or links to in the first place, but changing permissions on them causes problems, so that is not advised either.

• Hi,

I do not use Plasma myself, but doesn’t pkexec dolphin work for you?

• @karasu said in kdebase-runtime moved to AUR:

pkexec dolphin

I don’t know what that is!

• Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Open a terminal, and then type pkexec dolphin

It should ask your password, and then open dolphin with root privileges.

• Thanks for that karusa.

I tries it, but got : “cannot connect to any X display”.

• Oh, and if I do get it working, then my next question would be if I can make it a default launch for dolphin like in it’s desktop file or something.

• You know it doesn’t work, or have you forgot this:

link text

First thing I found in a google search for pkexec dolphin!

• Hi,

Geez, sorry. I totally forgot.

Kate and Dolphin avoid being running as root in their code.

• @karasu Well, good to know that I’m not the only one with a bad memory! More RAM please! I spend so much time tracking down answers, I sometimes loose track of things and get stuff mixed up.

What a bad move by KDE! I followed the links to what the main guy responsible has to say about it, and although right in a small way, he is wrong in many big ways. I guess everyone effected should inundate them with requests to reverse it, and sharply voice their disappointment, or else they will screw up even more for stupid reasons.

• i stayed away from plasma desktop because KDE removed root applications. if you want to stay with KDE you can use dolphin-root and kate-root from AUR

why are these code brackets so hard to work with in Antergos forum comment box ? i have to always edit anything i put inside a code

aur58 moved3 kdebase-runtime2 Posts 23Views 2737
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.